Home Trainers

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As David says you'd be far better using their 25/50m system.

With the old scatt (pre usb) because you move the sensor it might be feasible, but to be honest I don't see the point. It would make for a weird sight picture !

Also you're probably better off shooting on the system in dry fire mode as a trainer and using live fire as a separate exercise. In dry fire we use the scatt for reduced distances down to 7m, although it can work at even shorter distances.

Rob.
Tolkach

SCATT Training

Post by Tolkach »

Roly wrote:...I look forward to someone posting how a Scatt, etc., was incorporated into their training and whether they felt it was a significant aid in improving their scores.
One of our junior shooters used a SCATT (with a coach) to work on shot timing and shot rejection. After roughly two months of solid work on timing, she had successfully developed her technique to where she would release her shot within about 3 seconds of settling on target. During a match, while everyone else was on about shot 17, she had finished her series of 40 shots -- with a 393/400. She had rejected dozens of shots, but was only taking a few seconds to settle and release, so the competition went very quickly. The training with a SCATT, and a coach who could interpret, really helped her improve.

I have also used a SCATT to help with my trigger control. While I'm older and not nearly as talented as the junior shooter mentioned above, I have had some success in reducing the number of flyers by reviewing the trace and seeing where my pistol is pointing in the time from .5 seconds before release to .2 seconds, to release. I can definitely tell when something changes, whether it is inconsistent trigger control or grip.

The way I see it, the SCATT is used as a diagnostic tool and for feedback. There is a lot the SCATT can identify for you, but having a coach who can interpret the results and help you with the proper training is where the real benefit is. You can then continue your training with the SCATT and receive the feedback as to your progress.

But improving your scores isn't just about perfecting your technique. Your overall performance depends upon your physical performance, technical performance and mental performance. SCATT training will help you with the technical aspects of shooting, but the physical and mental aspects can make a huge difference and can't be ignored. If you train for six months on a SCATT without competing, don't be surprised if your scores don't improve in competition. You need to train under match conditions (regular competition) in order to improve that aspect of mental performance.

I hope this helps answer your question.
mangusta

Post by mangusta »

I've seen coaching on scatt successfully diagnose a problem with shot timing and shallow breathing/muscling on a shooter, leading to a significant jump in performance.

For me it found a problem with my trigger pull, adjusting blade forward removed the occasional swing out to the right that I had developed. These things can be difficult to identify even when watching the shooter as they are small movements and intermittent in nature, the scatt is very good at picking them up.

Problem I had was, in benchrest, due to not live fire, the lack of recoil meant that changes tried and true on the scatt do not play out the same when a round is fired (on a bench, rifles can play odd tricks with recoil as the firearm is not anchored with a sling)