Flying With Air Rifles

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

mtncwru

Flying With Air Rifles

Post by mtncwru »

As I sit here in the San Diego airport waiting for my flight to board, I can't help but reflect on my experience checking my FWB 300. No fewer than four different airline employees asked me if I was checking a firearm. I told them "no" each time, but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't just start saying "yes," throw a lock on the case, and fill out the little declaration card when I fly. I have no doubt that the TSA will be opening the case to inspect it once it's X-rayed, and I can only imagine what damage they might cause on my precision paper-puncher.

Has anyone else had issues with TSA and air rifles? Anyone care to weigh in on the "declare it as a forearm" idea? Obviously, breaking federal law isn't high on my to do list, but I'd like my air rifle to get there in one piece.
Doc226

Good ??????

Post by Doc226 »

Although technically an air pistol/rifle is not a firearm I would imagine for the TSA they would view it as one. You are correct in that they will most likely be opening up your rifle and inspecting it. It would not surprise me if you git called back and gir asked questions. I have never traveled with an air pistol but gave done so with my Glock several times and never had any problems. I of course had to declare it and fill out all the paperwork.

Good luck on your rifle getting there safely.
Spencer

Re: Good ??????

Post by Spencer »

Doc226 wrote:Although technically an air pistol/rifle is not a firearm....
in many, but not all countries
RobStubbs

Re: Flying With Air Rifles

Post by RobStubbs »

mtncwru wrote:As I sit here in the San Diego airport waiting for my flight to board, I can't help but reflect on my experience checking my FWB 300. No fewer than four different airline employees asked me if I was checking a firearm. I told them "no" each time, but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't just start saying "yes," throw a lock on the case, and fill out the little declaration card when I fly. I have no doubt that the TSA will be opening the case to inspect it once it's X-rayed, and I can only imagine what damage they might cause on my precision paper-puncher.

Has anyone else had issues with TSA and air rifles? Anyone care to weigh in on the "declare it as a forearm" idea? Obviously, breaking federal law isn't high on my to do list, but I'd like my air rifle to get there in one piece.
Whilst it may not be a firearm in some juristictions, it is classed as one by many and treated in terms of transportation exactly as a firearm. What you need to consider is how will the gun be transported ? It will almost certainly be carried as hazardous cargo, will be labelled with a firearm tag, and x-rayed just as a firearm. I would suggest therefore it needs to be declared as a firearm - or at the very least as an air rifle.

Remember too that air (and sea) transportation rules and laws are not the same as 'ordinary' laws.

Rob.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The guy is in the US and tallking about the TSA, pretty sure the jurisdiction he's talking about is the US.

To the OP in the US I just declare that I have an air rifle/pistol, yo may get further questions "is it like a BB gun". The problem about saying it's a firearm is that it's not and that could be viewed as making a false statement which could land you in bigger trouble. My suggestion is tell them what you have, answer any question they ask ( only what they ask).
mtncwru

Updates from the OP

Post by mtncwru »

Both myself and my air rifle arrived safely. The TSA did open the case, but it doesn't seem like they molested the AR at all. I suspect that it helps that it doesn't have a compressed air cylinder to go with it. The only thing, really, that was different than simply checking a bag was that I had to show ID at the baggage office to claim the case, rather than simply grabbing it off the baggage carousel.

To clarify: this was an entirely domestic flight that never went near New Jersey. According to the TSA's website, "BB guns" don't require any special handling other than being placed in checked baggage; they make no other distinctions for gas-powered projectile launchers. I'm wondering if I would get in trouble for declaring it as a firearm and filling out the requisite paperwork. The advantage would be that I could place a real lock (not a TSA-approved lock which can be opened with a master key/combination) on the case, and the TSA would be required to contact me before opening the case to inspect its contents. Given that air rifles/pistols are not subject to additional restrictions, I suspect that declaring them as a firearm would break some federal laws. I was hoping one of the many experienced members here could offer some insight as to their experience flying with air guns in the US. Thanks!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Richard H wrote:The guy is in the US and tallking about the TSA, pretty sure the jurisdiction he's talking about is the US.

To the OP in the US I just declare that I have an air rifle/pistol, yo may get further questions "is it like a BB gun". The problem about saying it's a firearm is that it's not and that could be viewed as making a false statement which could land you in bigger trouble. My suggestion is tell them what you have, answer any question they ask ( only what they ask).
The very simple fact is that if you tell them it's an air gun, then they can make up their mind if it needs declaring (and form filling) as a firearm or not. Perhaps more simple in this case as it was a wholly domestic flight, but it will vary as to where you're flying to (and therefore flying back from).

It's prudent to be aware of flight and airport regulations so you know what to expect, what problems you may encounter and how to overcome them - oh and allow plenty of time for check in at the airport.

Rob.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Not sure which part of my post was not clear? I said declare that you have an air pistol or air rifle, then answer the questions they ask you. Most people get themselves in trouble by not shutting up and offering information that wasn't requested.