Your next match, will you be prepaired?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Greg Derr

Your next match, will you be prepaired?

Post by Greg Derr »

Now that the good winter is over in most of North America, I thought I would start a thread about match preparation. Physical, mental and mechanical preparations.

What are you going to do? Have a plan? Have some goals?
McMarkD

Post by McMarkD »

Is a good goal to abort at least 4 shots? I am a beginning shooter and I usually take several shots that I shouldn't have.
david alaways

abort

Post by david alaways »

NEGITIVE, NEGITIVE, NEGITIVE, NEGITIVE!!!! NO NEGITIVE thinking! If I shoot a match and abort no shots thats a GOOD THING ! But I am only going to shoot the good shoots. I am never thinking about aborting before a shot or a match. I think abort only when that shot plan goes bad and once I abort I forget about it......
Red Dogg

Post by Red Dogg »

I agree completely with David. Never plan for aborts to happen but always heed the warning signs that the shot plan is not unfolding properly and be ready to abort without hesitation.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Where have you guys been ?, we have had most of our bigger competitions already this year (season). In truth our season is pretty much year round and only changes with more outdoors events in spring and summer.

My match goals tend to roll on from my training goals but I have score objectives that I want to meet each season, but I don't target them. Rather I have a target to follow my training technique for the vast majority of my shots and to keep focussed.

Rob.
dam8

Post by dam8 »

thanks Greg, great threadpositive thoughts, duplicate what I did for that perfect shot, stay focused. my prep this summer will also include a simple bill Horton quote, allign, settle, accept release
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Pre-match make sure that you have everything organised.
Plan for the unexpected, then you will not be phased on the day.
In the match, focus on the perfect shot creation process - position, grip, sights, trigger control and release. After that, what will be, will be.
As Rob says, create a new goal for each match so that it is a continuation of your overall training goals.
david alaways

Ready

Post by david alaways »

My first goal was to start shooting again on May 1st(failed, To sick). After months of not shooting my next goal is to get back to a tin a week, to dryfire at least 3 times a week, to enjoy it again, work on a follow thru, start a diary and shoot practice scores over 590 again ( But will be looking forward to my first 580 plus). I managed 50 rounds tonight , I was Happy with my groups 90 to 97 .average maybe a 93 I didnt score them (just at a glance) My main goal is to train properly. If I dont enjoy it none of this will happen. I have been thinking of posting my targets and diary and seeing if Russ would throw me some free advice( advice from anyone would be gladly accepted) That just might keep me committed . If others would do the same we could feed off each other. The Army has coaches as does the shooting team at the OTC , all we have is each other(unless you happen to live next to a good teacher like Zurek or Bickar etc.)...............On a sad note............ Bob from" Bobs my baker" posts was shoot and killed by his live in girlfriend. As a shooter I am for guns, I am also for enforcement of existing gun laws. This lady should have never been able to own a gun(in my opinion) But she was an American so she had every right, just didnt turn out right for her(in jail) or Bob. Bob helped pay for my shooting and his death was one reason I stopped....Thats what you would call a targettalk Obit ,RIP BOBS MY BAKER.
Dev

Advice for you :-)?

Post by Dev »

With your scores? :-) I can only say that something went click when Russ played hundred questions with me. The fact was why was I accepting less than perfection? Russ said this with humour, without humour etc but he hammered away at my defense till I had no excuses left. I stopped labelling myself as a certain type of shooter and have begun to train regularly.

Lost touch with Russ as I was down with an illness, but I will be talking to him soon. The thing that has really worked for me is dry firing, that is something you explained at length to me David. So best of luck, we know that you will excell, sorry to hear about your friend.

Warm Regards,

Dev
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I'm quite new to shooting AP, and though a couple of times I'd run across intelligent and informative postings from Bob's My Baker this is the first I'd heard of his tragic end. Bullets are just too easy, to trivial even, when it comes to ending a life. A lapse in judgment while angry with a gun available is all it takes sometimes, especially with those of lesser discipline. Anyway, I am very sorry for the loss of your friend, David, and it sounds like he was a gem among friends to you. I hope that you are able to carry on using what he gave you and return to stellar form soon.

------------------

For my part, no matches yet except postal. I've won the last two months in our little CAF postal match but the competition hasn't been much, as it seems either not many forum members there are serious about 10m AP or they're just too busy to bother. I'll persist in trying to improve on my personal best for every month's submitted score. I will keep working towards improved consistency in practice, not giving up when a session seems to start going badly, as each and every shot is an entity unto itself, not necessarily indicative of a trend up or down. My weekly averages keep going up, the week ending today being 89.6% and several sessions going over 545.

The ride from sub-300 scores in mid-December up to today's somewhat respectable beginner scores is reassuring, but not deeply satisfying. So my new short term goal, for the summer, is to take my current average of 1/4 of shots in the 10 ring and double that, while keeping everything else within the 9's. Come fall, when I enter my first formal competition, there will of course be new goals to set. And this coming week I plan to visit a proper pistol range at least once for the first time to test myself in the presence of other shooters and new distractions.

Very much a novice's perspective I know, but it's all useful I think in helping each other find ways to optimal performance and consistency.
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Hi Greg,

This is a great topic.

Since our league is now over it's been "practice the fundamentals" with emphasis on detail.

Will continue weekly practice routine and try to place emphasis on one variable at a time until completely satisfied. trying to stay on a weight program for good health and working with light dumbell weights to maintain arm strength. I like listening to classical music to help place my mind into a peaceful place during a ride to the club whether for practice or a match.

Our 30 match eague season is now over and we have (as you're aware) a few summer match opportunities to stay competitive so I'll sign up for those if timig works out.

Keeping the target pistols in top shape is always a priority in my book. They cost a bundle so I keep after them as best as possible.

Continue to master the basics & fundamentals for single perfect shot placement ... then to repeat time & time again.

Mass Shooter
mhkhung

Post by mhkhung »

You are not attending the BC provincial and national in Calgary?
http://www.bctsa.bc.ca/pdf/2011Provinci ... 20Info.pdf
http://www.pistolcanada.ca/

Gerard wrote: Come fall, when I enter my first formal competition, there will of course be new goals to set. And this coming week I plan to visit a proper pistol range at least once for the first time to test myself in the presence of other shooters and new distractions.

Very much a novice's perspective I know, but it's all useful I think in helping each other find ways to optimal performance and consistency.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I'd love to go to Campbell River and give it a try, though really my scores aren't sufficient for competition just yet. But I will be in San Francisco for the International Society of Bassists convention. Taking my young son down on the train, along with a doublebass to enter into the maker's competition. It's a fairly innovative, yet in the important ways traditional doublebass, very well adapted for airline travel (but I don't like planes, hence the train trip) while doing things for a performer which no other bass has ever done. One never knows in competition of course... but I feel it's reasonably likely I'll be bringing a medal home for tone and possibly for workmanship as well.

As for the nationals I'll have to wait and see. Doubt it though. We'll be taking my daughter to a program on the Island for August, a leadership course she won a place in this past spring before she heads back to Costa Rica for school in the fall. We're going to coordinate a family camping trip for that week sometime, a few days on the Island before we lose her for another long while. Family before shooting, sorry. But I will definitely be attending the thing in Richmond in November, the Hibernation match or whatever it's called. I plan to shoot a few competitions during 2012 as time allows, but this is a very 'interesting' time for my work as a luthier and I won't be able to commit to more than a handful of meets next year.