New 4 H shooting sports club Rhea Co. TN takes 2nd in state

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Robert J. Gryder

New 4 H shooting sports club Rhea Co. TN takes 2nd in state

Post by Robert J. Gryder »

I'm new to 4 H, air rifles and coaching but not shooting. I've got 5 shooters, 1 sr. and 4 jr's who have been practicing for 3 months. They took 2nd at TN state championship Apr 30 with a 930 in sporter 3 P. The first place team from Shelby County shot a 1300. Good shooting and Congratulations to them.

Now I'm asking for direction. 1st is where do I find Postal Matches listed and how do I get on the list to sponsor or start one?

I would like to do it within 4 H but will look for CMP, NRA or other reputable sponsoring organizations. If you have a phone number, email or web address please pass it along.

Next, Col. Tom Johnson from CMP published a book that shows and tells some of the techniques for tuning a Daisy 853. Specifically polishing the Hammer, sear and trigger. My question is how much? He talks about using a FILE. I am used to using a Dremel muslin wheel with fine polishing compound and removing thousands (0.001 to 0.005) of an inch when polishing my Ruger's. I've got 8 single actions.

Anyone have any specifications or measurements? Diagrams or pictuers? Know of any publications or web sites that caters to sporter air rifles?

I only have dial-up and 1 to 3 hours is not uncommon for a picture to download so be gentle. DSL is not even offered where I live.

email is rj_gryder@bellsouth.net I'll keep tuning in here to see what happens.

Respectfully,

RJ Gryder
silentfury214

Post by silentfury214 »

Hey,
I never thought I would see someone else who had a team compete in the TN state championship on this forum! I am not a coach, but I competed. I was the 1st place sr. air rifle shooter. If you want to find postal matches, you should look around here:
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/dept-postal.asp
This is from the NRA website, and while I have not yet competed in any of them, I have heard that they are pretty good.
Hope this helps.
Ryan
RizzoRogan

Post by RizzoRogan »

Congratulations with your second place finish. Considering the short time you and your shooters prepared you should be proud. I am a coach with the Dickson 4-H shooting sports program. I am working with the BB program mostly but several of those are in their last year of eligibility for BB so we should have a Dickson County group in air rifle next year. We have several 853 rifles and I agree that the trigger in these things is horrendous and that's putting it mildly. Mr Pilkington has a good tutorial on this website as how to modify the 853 trigger. It does have several pictures so you may want to find a friend to down load and print it. If that's not an option I will be glad to make a copy and mail it to you. I'm in the printing business so it's no major expense to me.

Here is the link.

http://sailboatfuelguns.com/tenp/d853tm.htm

Good luck with your program and I hope this helps!
kbookmyer

postals

Post by kbookmyer »

American Legion also does air rifle postals. Here in VA they also have a live fire match in VA it's sporter only some states I think they do both sporter and precision. To shoot in it you need to be sponsored by a Legion Post but that's no more than asking and filling out some paperwork.
Robert J. Gryder

Post by Robert J. Gryder »

Man alive,

Did you guys answer my question or what?

Thank you very much,

RJ