Feinwerkbau FWB model 65 pistol shooting to the right

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

felipe.garre

Post by felipe.garre »

Hi!,

I've been offered a FWB model 65. It has been heavily used because in some parts, specially trigger guard, the blackening has gone and you can see bare metal. IT's more or less OK.
The problem is that it shoots to the right, even with the rear sight moved to the extreme left you can't get a bulls eye.

They took it to a shop and they say the gun is OK ?? that they shoot it and found no problems.

They say the problem might be the pellets I use, that may be that pistol needs a specific pellet.

I have tried with different pellets, from Gamo Match to RWS R10 Match and also accu pell.
I use the RWS R10 Match pellets with my rifle FWB 300S and they work fantastic with that rifle.

Have you had the same problem?
Any advise on what the problem might be?
Do you really think a pellet can make such a huge difference?

Thanks a lot!
Felipe.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"They took it to a shop and they say the gun is OK ?? that they shoot it and found no problems."

Then it must be you.

If it's not you, just bend the barrel a little to the right.
PFribley

FWB 65

Post by PFribley »

Maybe the spring is bent. LOL
twang

Re: FWB 65

Post by twang »

PFribley wrote:Maybe the spring is bent. LO

L
I think I saw this one time and forgot what it was.Anyway what I would do is start from ground zero.
do not look at the front sight.
physically adjust the center of the rear sight with the center of the rear of the gun.
get it as close as you can to center.
then bench rest it and line up with the front sight so it is in the center of the rear sight and shoot at the bull you should be close.check to make sure the front sight is tight. The arrows on the windage will tell you which way to turn.
Daveyg-I'm not an expert but I did see this problem before a long time ago.
felipe.garre

Post by felipe.garre »

Hi Guys,

thanks for the replies.

I tested the gun on a bench, on a rest. And I also asked a colleague to try it with the same weird result, so it's not me.

I tried to check the gun with a Chronograph but we couldn't use the one we had, it's one of those that attach to the muzzle. I wanted to check if the mechanism is bad and speed is not consistent. I guess that would really affect up and down impact point but...

They keep saying "it's the pellets"...

I know you can bend a break barrel rifle or pistol, but that one is a "fixed" barrel... How could it have been bended?..

Thanks!
Felipe.
Rover

Post by Rover »

It could have been dropped. The barrels are relatively soft and are not that hard to bend. Go ahead and bend it a little...it won't hurt.
felipe.garre

Post by felipe.garre »

Hi Rover,

I'll try to check the barrel using a steel rule once I remove the front sight.

Anyway if we can't find anything wrong I'll take your advise: in your first post you advised me to bend it to the right. I guess you wanted to say to the left? the pistol is shooting to the right, so I guess I have to bend the barrel to the left?

Any advise on how to do it?

Thanks!
Felipe.
Rover

Post by Rover »

One last try before bending anything...the FWB65 has interchangable front sight inserts. The screw holding them can be loose or the blade can be misaligned. You could also file down the left side of the blade a little or the right side of the rear notch.

I think you should bend the barrel to the right. I could be wrong.

I bought (cheap) an FWB air rifle that had a bent barrel from pulling the trigger and letting the barrel snap shut. I fixed it by giving the end of the barrel a good rap on a carpeted cement floor. One rap was all it took.

I would do the pistol by sticking the muzzle in some kind of crack and leaning on the gun a little. I don't think it will take much and it would be better to test and repeat rather than overdo.

I know this sounds rather crude, but you're just bending a tube a little. It's not rocket science.
felipe.garre

model 65 pistol wasted, how much would you offer?

Post by felipe.garre »

Hi,

yesterday I had a chat with an air pistol expert from my club. I asked him about the FWB model 65 I'm interested in.
He told me to forget about that pistol, that he checked it months ago and also was shooting to the right, that there is nothing to do to fix it.

Well, I will still try to check with a steel rule if the barrel is bended or not...

They are asking £80 for it... IT has been used really heavily for years and years but if it were shooting OK i would get it for £80.

Let's say the pistol is beyond repair, I'm still interested in it as a collectors item because I'm got it's "big brother": the rifle FWB 300S with the same recoil-less technology.

How much do you reckon it could be worth? (the pistol beyond repair)

Thanks a best regards!!
Felipe.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If it's "beyond repair" then it won't hurt to bend the barrel.

If it can't be used, it's worth nothing except for parts.
twang

shoots to the right

Post by twang »

Hard for me to believe it has a bent barrel,When you say turn to the right do you mean the knob..If the gun is shooting to the rightr - moving the rear sight to the right make it shoot even more to the right,
the rear sight has to go to the left-I think.
when ever I get a gun I draw a long verticaj line on the target about the width of a pellet and then bench rest it and adjust the sights to hit it dead center if I can -then I put up another target with a horizontal line about the width of a pellet and adjust up and down to hit it dead center on the line.. I thought I saw this before and it had something to do with the front sight like it was not centered on the barrel.
if you take the pin out from under the front sight you will see that you can twist it quite a bit right or left and it has a flat spot I think and the pin is supposed to lock it in tight.Other than that I don;t know what to tell you.
Davey
Rover

Post by Rover »

Did you bend the barrel?
felipe.garre

Not yet

Post by felipe.garre »

Hi Rover,

no I haven't because I haven't bought the pistol yet. They were asking for £80 and that's a lot for a pistol in that status.

I've been very busy at work and I haven't really negotiated with them yet.

I will on the grounds that the pistol is "beyond repair" and that it's going to be a collectors item, as it really will be.
I'll offer £20.

I'll let you know...
Regards,
Felipe
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

look at the two actions screws at the front of the receiver in the angled portion. They are two different lengths, If they are reversed you will get some shots thrown to one side or the other and normally high as well.
Hunting#dog

Post by Hunting#dog »

I have a FWB Model 65 in about the same condition and was able to change point of impact by working with the front sight. I would try that before trying to bend the barrel. If it is shooting right you would need to move the front sight to the right to make the shot go more left.
felipe.garre

I finally got it!!!

Post by felipe.garre »

Dear all,

I finally got my Model65 for 20GBP.

Serial number is... get ready....40760 !!!!

Anybody has an idea of how old the pistol is?

Today I'll take it to a good air gun shop, "The Airgun Centre", 45 minutes drive from we I am but they are good so the trip is worth it.

I'll ask them for a quote to "service" the pistol (seals, springs, etc) and then a different one for fixing the "shooting-to-the-right" issue.

At 10 meters and with the rear sight fully to the left you can only get to the 8. Good enough for plinking Coke cans but I don't want the pistol for that but for proper target shooting.

I'll let you know what they tell me in the shop.

I'd really appreciate it if anybody could let me know how old my model 65 serial number 40760 is.

Thanks!
Felipe
(from an unusually sunny London) :-)
Cones

Post by Cones »

Hi,

My thread here should help with your 65 and the dating of it.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php ... u-Model-65

Depending on how confident you are I have given a full written description of how to strip and service the pistol as well.

Thanks

Mark
Rover

Post by Rover »

"They took it to a shop and they say the gun is OK ?? that they shoot it and found no problems."

Then why are you taking it back to a shop? Just to spend more money?

If you're nervous about bending the barrel, just remember that barrel makers have full time employees that do nothing but bend barrels all day. They call it "straightening."

And it isn't the pellets.
xpshooter

Post by xpshooter »

No need to worry if you think you went too far, this one suposedly shoots good.

Here's a FWB Model 2

:)
Attachments
FWB2twist2.jpg
FWB2twist2.jpg (22.08 KiB) Viewed 8715 times