Buying Air Pistol in USA and bringing into Canada

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jashcroft

Buying Air Pistol in USA and bringing into Canada

Post by jashcroft »

Is there any issues buying a gun in the USA and bringing into Canada. I am contemplating buying my daughter an Air Pistol. I know through Trapshooting and having ATF permits to travel back and forth to competitions that I want to stay on the good side of the ATF. My thoughts could be wrong from a Canadian point of view as long as the velocity is no more than 500 fps it doesn't the pistol doesn't have to be registered in Canada (please correct me if I'm wrong). Is there any issues from a US point of view. Can the gun be shipped direct to Canada? If I have shipped to a WA address can I simply bring it across the border and pay any taxes that may apply? I live a couple of miles from the border. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
JohnA
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

In the USA, an Air Pistol is not a firearm under the relevant federal laws, though some local jurisdictions vary.
frog5215

Post by frog5215 »

IZH won't break 500fps with any normal pellet. More than 430fps with 7.8gr.
jashcroft

Post by jashcroft »

Thank you for your responses
John
superstring

Post by superstring »

John, I don't think there should be a problem as long as you have proper documentation to say the pistol doesn't shoot over 500 fps. However, I would contact Canada Border Services to make sure.

Also, personally, I would have the gun shipped to a WA address and bring it across yourself, if that's convenient. The more you can do to keep the Customs gorillas from damaging it, the better!
mhkhung

Re: Buying Air Pistol in USA and bringing into Canada

Post by mhkhung »

Have you got a CDN quote that is a lot more expensive? I think the price is pretty much comparable except the difference in tax.. With a CDN dealer you save the hassle of asking for the extra paperwork for the 500fps velocity which will be included and the American dealer may not have the < 500fps guns stocked either.

- M
jashcroft wrote:Is there any issues buying a gun in the USA and bringing into Canada. I am contemplating buying my daughter an Air Pistol. I know through Trapshooting and having ATF permits to travel back and forth to competitions that I want to stay on the good side of the ATF. My thoughts could be wrong from a Canadian point of view as long as the velocity is no more than 500 fps it doesn't the pistol doesn't have to be registered in Canada (please correct me if I'm wrong). Is there any issues from a US point of view. Can the gun be shipped direct to Canada? If I have shipped to a WA address can I simply bring it across the border and pay any taxes that may apply? I live a couple of miles from the border. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
JohnA
william

Post by william »

as long as the velocity is no more than 500 fps
Be very careful. If it CAN shoot over 500 fps, it's a restricted firearm (I think that's the correct terminology) in Canada. If she is serious about competing why not just get her one of the popular models (Steyr, Morini, Pardini, etc.) and do the simple-enough paperwork to keep her legal in Canada.

As far as ATF is concerned, air pistols don't even exist. I travel to Canada with mine and don't even mention it to US Customs on return. It wouldn't hurt to keep the sales receipt handy. In case they do spot it and say "What's that?" they won't be able to harass you for import duty.
jashcroft

Post by jashcroft »

Thank you for the information, I'm working on getting prices from both side of the border.