Training/Competition Diary - what do you write?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
The Doctor

Training/Competition Diary - what do you write?

Post by The Doctor »

Hi All

I am looking at this from a coaching perspective and a competitor perspective and just wanted to ask what other people put in theirs ? I know this is very much a personal thing, but I want to see if there is a commonality amongst shooters.

My general points include:
range - condition, lighting, noise etc
Score - including a plot of the match if I competed (I think this helps to highlight issues such as thumbing, heeling etc over time)
'mental notes' - what you were thinking, anything that distracted or annoyed etc.
general well-being - how did you feel?

It sounds a bit like War and Peace, but I usually note down a few key words for each.

Thanks

Lee
mhkhung

Post by mhkhung »

Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

This is a great topic. I keep three books myself.

First: a "Range Book" in this I write down all the details I can about each range I shoot at or will shoot at. I make particular notes about lighting, standing position and bench height. For example, in Milan, the targets are a very bright white cardboard, I use a dark lens. There is also never TP in the water closet. In Havana the air pistol range is very hot and the air hardly moves, so I were shorts and have plenty of water. On a local club, position #8 has an uneven concrete floor which makes it hard to stand level. I also try to have a picture of the range in my book to remind me.

Second: a "Training Book" I keep this in my range bag and make notes about specific issues I might be working on. For instance if I am trying a new grip and or stance. I might also make notes about things I want to train in the next session.

Third: a " Match Score Book" This is to record match scores and specific conditions for the match like weather conditions and or light. It would also record what ammo and lot or pellets I used. I also note what lens I may have used on my shooting eye. I don't record all the individual shots, just the "tens" and the series/final total.

Depending on your level of performance you can change the type data you record.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I advocate a session log for each day. Something like a filofax can be useful to include range and equipment details in for example, in a section at the back.

General things for each session would be;

Goals for that session or match.

general details about the place, how you felt, etc

Then a breakdown of the match;

How you started, breaks, how it felt and other mental observations

how the match progressed

Did I meet the goals ?

Positive learnings from the match

Things to work on or learn from for future training sessions and / or matches.

Rob.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies, this is really, really useful - Greg, I love the range notes, especially the toilet notes - I have been telling the juniors to alway do a quick tour of the facilities just in case ;-)

Lee
philip_T

Range notes

Post by philip_T »

Thanks . Great notes - some I have never considered.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

I'm bad in this regard, having been a "do as I say, not as I do" when it comes to the juniors I help. Even when I was a junior I couldn't reliably keep one, it was spotty and didn't hold much worthwhile info.

Wish I could have a positive opinion on them, but I just can't find the value. FWIW,I was also the kid in high school who was always dinged for not showing my work (but I was also in all the advanced placement classes anyway).

It might be the "key" to consistently returning 560+ match scores, but I'd be willing to bet that keeping a journal is NOT the weakest link keeping me from that level of performance.
Russ

Post by Russ »

The idea of having shooting diary is simple:” if you can't measure it you can't manage it”If you like to have control of the process of your performance: you must learn how to keep records.

If you like to have a process to take control over you, do the opposite: do not keep records ;)

There is always a choice! :)
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Brian,

What is the weakest link? If you had a diary you might be able to read it and see the weak spot (and then work on that).

(This is deja vu, all over again)(Thanks to Yogi Berra).
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Dad to the white phone.... :)

Yes, I've been hearing this for... er, 20+ years. I couldn't keep up with it back then, still can't today.

And my weakest link is staying focused. My mind wanders while shooting, which is Slightly better in competition. That's easy. Another top runner is forcing shots that are Well past my ideal shot time/not calling off shots (the result of the few 8's I shoot). I have a few minor things too.

I'm not likely to forget my weakest links. It doesn't need to be written down for me to remember (yet). And besides, it's not fun. That's my primary reason for shooting, because it's Enjoyable. If something makes it less enjoyable, then why bother? As for Measuring... um, how do you "Measure" mental focus, it's either there or not per each shot process. How would Measuring my need to call off shots Help me not try to hold on the next time? I'm acutely aware of both issues, perhaps more-so than someone who "journals" it because I never have to read something to remember, it's on my mind constantly.

I still try occasionally, sometimes I make it more than 2 weeks before setting it aside for months. It's not something that Everyone discusses and promotes for no reason. I just can't fathom the reason, which is, ultimately, the reason why I fail at follow-through. I've never been good at doing something just because someone Else says it's required/needed/a good idea. I have a deep seated Need to understand why, and that has never been provided.

It's controversial, but so was the process of washing hands for Doctors around 1850. It was "common wisdom" that bloodletting would cure most aliments. :D
Russ

Post by Russ »

"Measure" mental focus.... easy my friend.
Your GOAL will do the trick. Weak goal – no tricks. :( Do not ask me why. You have to monitor other related activities related to your mental part of your performance and keep records!

How to measure mental performance?
Answer: BY your own SCORE!
I will ask you what exactly your GOAL IS?
What is your current score IS?
What are you willing to sacrifice to achieve you goal?
If answer is “nothing”… Please do not guess what you achievement will looks like. :)
How long are you willing claim to your success ladder?

Last question I will ask you.
What exactly do you know about perfect single shot development process?
After short conversation I will give you prescription how to cure your specific problems and you will understand how is not important any longer "mental focusing" for you at this time.

Because if you can’t score 565-in constant bases with IZH 46M probably mental part is not you issue my friend :)

But when you willing to learn how to score 565 and start moving forward toward your goal and begin to score with confidentiality 570….. Mental part still was not most important part to achieve this level. :(
But in same time it will move you to best ten USAS performers! Interesting isn’t it?

Please do not accuse me do not underestimate mental part in our performance itself. Indeed it is important!
But what level we are talking about?
This will be different story!
Russ

Post by Russ »

I received few text messages from phone. I’m happy that someone can understand my accent now :)
If my message is created some thoughts in your head of how to move from last position on the USAS national ranking to top ten. It is great! It is the bell!
It is the time to ask yourself those unpleasant questions and forget for a while about mental part before 565 will be achieved on constant basis. :)

If you are already know how and able to score 570, I have good news for you too.
I think this is the time to learn how to move forward, because it will be crowded there soon. :) There is some room for improvement (30 more points) :)
The knowledge of mental part of performance will do no harm you on this level.;)
Last edited by Russ on Wed May 04, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterz

Post by peterz »

Russ,

Are you suggesting that people should score every target shot in training? I find worrying about my score more often than once or twice a week is detrimental to my keeping my mind clear and focused on sight alignment and trigger operation. If I'm watching score, then I get to feeling more pressure when I've got 3 straight 10s on the board, etc., than I do if I just look at group and the centering of the group on the 10 ring.

pz
Russ

worries or concerns, problem and solution

Post by Russ »

PM sent
Dear peterz . I do consulting. My goal is solve problem for aspiring athletes. So far I do not see any problem in your case. Since you are not competitive shooter what is the point of your worries?

I understand concerns from athletes who able to score 578 during the practice, but can’t perform it during actual tournament. But it is still not worries but problem and we can develop a solution for it.

Otherwise, if solution will not presented at specific time someone will be not selected to represent his club, country on highest level of competitions.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Pretty much anything I can get into http://guns.ie
And some video footage as well, but apart from the bits I put up on youtube to show my coach, it's too large to keep in an online format.
peterz

Post by peterz »

Russ seems to be deliberately missing the point of my question, and this has continued through a couple of PM interchanges and now this public statement.

I have no "worries". I do have interests and concerns.

I am a hobby shooter who would like to be good enough to compete on the local level. I understand my goals precisely.

Russ harped constantly on "score" above. All I am asking is whether he thinks every practice target should be scored. From my point of view scoring does not lead to better results; on the contrary, thinking about score tends to make negative thoughts in my brain and distracts from full concentration on sight alignment and trigger release.

If Russ disagrees with this analysis of how a beginning shooter should work, let him say so instead of dancing around and making fun of people new to his sport. In a PM he asked me if my goal was to "provide entertainment" on TT.

Russ, it is not.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Goals, short term is to just continue being happy about shooting. If I'm not happy, then there's no reason for the long term. Mid-term, shoot at least a 570 in competition. And long-term, shoot a 600 (actually, it's to be the First to shoot a 600). No reason not to reach. :D

Currently I have a USAS average of 550 (rolling 12), but this year it's more like 556.

For sacrifice, I'm pretty flexible. Money is the great limitation. I'm willing to give up to 25 hours a week. I already attend as many local matches as possible and have been trying to find the funds for other big matches. Other things I'm open to, about the only limitation is that my wife will still take up a good portion of my life.

As for what I know about the development of the perfect shot process, that would take a lot longer to type out than I have time for right now. While I won't claim to know it all, I do have a grasp on the process.

And I agree, 565 should be a non-issue. But the shots that pull my score down (8's, inevitably) are directly related to the fact that my mind wanders sometimes and I don't abort those shots. I never have a shot that I feel is bad when the mental part of my shot process is either focused on the process, or my favorite, completely oblivious (kinda like when you unfocus your eyes and stare at nothing in particular).
Russ

Post by Russ »

peterz wrote:Russ,

Are you suggesting that people should score every target shot in training? I find worrying about my score more often than once or twice a week is detrimental to my keeping my mind clear and focused on sight alignment and trigger operation. If I'm watching score, then I get to feeling more pressure when I've got 3 straight 10s on the board, etc., than I do if I just look at group and the centering of the group on the 10 ring.

pz
should score every target shot in training?
It is depend of your training plan. Sometimes you can practice and do not pay attention to your scores. I can’t be too much helpful for hobby shooter, I think we have a lot of guys who can able to help you, this is out of my range of expertise. I’m really sorry. Your initial statement was:” I find worrying about my score more often”. I have to order new glasses ;)
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

" I can’t be too much helpful for hobby shooter,"

Russ: Since you never made a National or World Cup team, does that not make you a "hobby shooter" Just asking.
Russ

Post by Russ »

PM sent
Is your curiosity satisfied yet?