ISSF vs NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
kbookmyer

ISSF vs NRA

Post by kbookmyer »

I bought some acetate overlay scoring aids on ebay they were made by Cibles Canada and have a full 10 m air rifle target and a partial 10 m air pistol on them. When I got them the air rifle lined up perfectly but the air pistol does not line up with the NRA B40 targets I've got it's close but appears to be just a little smaller when I align the one ring the opposite side is off by about 2 mm (1/8") on the five ring.
Is there a difference between the ISSF and NRA 10 m air targets? I thought they were the same or how do I determine if the problem is my NRA approved targets or the overlays?
Thanx
ken
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

How old are your NRA targets? They shrank the rings a bit about 20(?) years ago. I still have some of the old ones I use for practice.
kbookmyer

Post by kbookmyer »

they should be less than five years old, probably less than two since they weren't doing pistol five years ago. But anything is possible, but know that I know it's probably the targets I can check with their manufacturer instead of waiting for a reply from the overlay company
thanx
ken
kbookmyer

Post by kbookmyer »

I just looked at a target it's stamped B-40/4 1989 so maybe they are that old but they must have had a heck of an inventory on hand to still be shipping them.
Joakim

Post by Joakim »

For what it's worth, 1989 (January 1) is exactly the date when the ISSF switched to the slightly smaller targets. I don't know if the NRA made the change at the same time, but it seems reasonable. And if it did so, then it stands to reason that the "1989" on the targets is meant to indicate that they are the "new" model (rather than being the year of print or something like that). So I have no good explanation for the discrepancy... But why not just measure the rings on the targets (and on the overlay)? For the "new" target, the diameters should be as follows (copied and pasted right from ISSF 6.3.2.6) when measured between the outer edges of the rings. If they are off by 2 mm, an ordinary ruler should be sufficient to spot it.

10 ring 11.5 mm (±0.1 mm) 5 ring 91.5 mm (±0.5 mm)
9 ring 27.5 mm (±0.1 mm) 4 ring 107.5 mm (±0.5 mm)
8 ring 43.5 mm (±0.2 mm) 3 ring 123.5 mm (±0.5 mm)
7 ring 59.5 mm (±0.5 mm) 2 ring 139.5 mm (±0.5 mm)
6 ring 75.5 mm (±0.5 mm) 1 ring 155.5 mm (±0.5 mm)
kbookmyer

Post by kbookmyer »

Thanx I couldn't find the ISSF specifications when I looked on line. The target is correct the overlay does not match it looks like the tehe ten ring is 10.5 and the seven ring is 57.5 Maybe it's not a 10m air pistol target and it's a 22 target instead? I was told it was the issf equivalent of the nra b40 but the sales guy may have made an assumption.
Joakim

Post by Joakim »

ISSF 50m rifle target (for .22 rifles):
10 ring 10.4 mm (±0.1 mm)
7 ring 58.4 mm (±0.5 mm)

So yes, looks like the sales guy did make an assumption.
kbookmyer

Post by kbookmyer »

he just got back with me and confirmed they shipped an overlay for 50m smallbore instead of 10m pistol.
thank you all for the help
ken