Shooting Order on AR-5/10 Target

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pzoba

Shooting Order on AR-5/10 Target

Post by pzoba »

Dumb question but I am curious... Is there a 'correct' order to shoot the bulls on an AR5/10 target? If there is a correct way, can you tell me why it's correct?

As of now, I start with the center top bull (above the sighter bulls), then center bottom, then top left and work down and finally top right and work down. This is not how the bulls are numbered...

I have tried to search for this on Google but as you might guess, 'shooting the bull' leads to lots of search results.

Thanks -

Paul
sbrmike

bulls

Post by sbrmike »

That is a good way to shoot the bulls. You make fewer adjustments to your NPA that way; you only change elevation for each bull in a column.

The absolute wrong way is to shoot across, which needs a new NPA for each bull!
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Your way is fine. The down side people will point out is a long NPA change from bottom center to top left and bottom left to top right. But every way to shoot the target has a down side.

I use the traditional bottom center then go around clockwise. It results in small, even NPA changes, but also more horizontal NPA changes.

Another variation of your way is bottom center, top center, top left, down left column, bottom right, up right side. Folks will complain about the long NPA changes bottom center to top center and bottom left to bottom right.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

shoot the sighters and start at the top left and go in rows down. I may change that though.
pzoba

Post by pzoba »

Alright, thanks... so it's really about avoiding the big changes. I don't really retest my NPA as I shoot through the bulls. I guess I should. At this point, I consider my NPA to be correct if I am on the paper or close to it.

So, why are the bulls numbered the way they are? Top Left, then shoot the rows and come down... You would be moving all the way across the target both left to right (across the sighters) and right to left to the next row ... but the distance is shorter across the target vs my way of bottom to top. Hmmm, that's something to consider...
WRC

Post by WRC »

My order & the one I coach is: sighters, bottom center, top center, top left, down the left column, top right, down the right column. The biggest (& only big) NPA change is between the left & right columns. As usual YMMV.

As for how they are numbered, perhaps it was a hold-over from the original 10-bull 50 foot targets (way back, they did not have a sighter bull!), or just what the print shop thought was OK.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

pzoba,

NPA is natural POINT of aim. Not the entire target. You have one point the size of the pellet or bullet you are shooting which is your NPA. You MUST change for each individual bull.

To answer your original question, in matches the shooting order which is easiest for you to make the smallest movements for NPA change is best. BUT in training, put up two targets side by side, the draw numbers from a hat (eg target 1, #8; target 2, #3; etc) until all are shot. This will make you work on adjusting your NPA for each bull.
pzoba

Post by pzoba »

Pat,

Can you walk me through your process for finding your NPA for each shot? Seems like it would take me a long time to do in a match.

thanks - pz
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

For ten bull targets, usually hung two at a time as a "card".

After completing sighters, and as I load a round, I slide my hips slightly forward or back (depending if I want to go down or up on the target), close my eyes and mount the rifle, and settle into position. Open eyes to see if I'm "on" the bull. If so continue shot process, if not adjust hips to get "on" the bull.

Repeat for each bull, moving hips to get to next nearest (usually I shoot top center then counter clockwise to top right, then to card two, and counterclockwise from top left). Occasionally I've gone to bottom sighter when sighting, so go down to bottom center then clockwise around.

Just making as small a move as possible for each change. Shoot during natural respiratory pause (normal exhale).
sbrmike

NPA

Post by sbrmike »

Pat I hear what you are saying as a training tool for NPA, but Practice does not Make Perfect; Perfect Practice Makes Perfect. This might be a good diagnostic tool, but I can't endorse it as a good weekly practice.

You should practice as you would shoot in a match. Shooting each column completely requires:

1. Make a good NPA for the sighters and then adjust your elevation for the other bulls in the center column. I am a bottom to top shooter myself.

2. Then make a major NPA change to shoot the left column.

3. Then make a major NPA change to shoot the right column.

NPA changes need to be effecient as well as effective. If two targets are hung side by side treat them as two totally separate targets. That is too wide of an area to efficiently shoot as one target at the short ranges of indoor shooting. Get your NPA process established for the Left target and when done with it, totally start over on the Right target.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

sbrmike,

If you'll notice, I didn't talk about practice, but training. Two different things. I wouldn't use the technique longer than it takes for the shooters to get used to changing for each bull. Usually once or twice is enough, then they actually start using the method while practicing.

I work with beginners through intermediates for the most part, but have had several advanced and even elite athletes over the years.

A "card" of two targets is the norm for 50 foot shooting, so training and practice needs to include that. You must understand there is NO NPA for a "target". Natural POINT of Aim must be established for each bull for top results.
jnespappa

Post by jnespappa »

Pat McCoy wrote: You must understand there is NO NPA for a "target". Natural POINT of Aim must be established for each bull for top results.
To pzoba, yes you should retest your NPA on each and every bull, as Pat mentions. Testing NPA by the method mentioned by Pat only takes a few seconds; adjusting your shooting platform (shifting hips around your support elbow) takes a bit more time. BUT, as you repeat this process, you will get faster and faster at acquiring NPA and your body will develop a muscle memory for shifting hips side to side or front/back.

I shoot top center, then move around clockwise, only because I have an easier time shifting, settling into and trusting NPA up on those final shots as my body is tiring from the shot string.