IZH-46 Trigger adjustment issue

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
plink182

IZH-46 Trigger adjustment issue

Post by plink182 »

The trigger on my IZH is too far out and I need to adjust it, there is a screw for that but it is frozen, nothing seems to free it up, penetrating oil, torch etc. The screw is on the trigger and clamps the trigger angle in place. Is this a common issue?
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Yup, common in that I've never seen one that didn't exhibit this tendency.

Use a hallow-ground screwdriver of the right size, then when you apply torque, HOLD it. Torque is cumulative, meaning that as you apply pressure, it builds up and eventually it will become unstuck without damaging the fastener. You might have to hold it for a minute (seems like forever), but it's a sure-fire way to get it loose. No need to re-tighten it that much once loose either.

Good luck.

Brian
v76

Post by v76 »

Tried everything on mine, including the solution that Brian suggested and ended up drilling it out and installing a standard Steyr blade ordered from Pilk. I had to file a few millimeters from each side but worth it in retrospect, I prefer the wider blade and the center notch helps for remembering finger placement.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

If the cumulative torque method does not work (and it often does, with the right screwdriver) you might try touching it with a soldering iron. When it cools, the expansion-contraction cycle might break it loose a bit.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Seems I got very lucky with my slightly-used 46m; the trigger screw was snug but only just so, and came loose with a very modest effort using the Baikal multi-tool which came with the gun. I've read a few people suggesting pinching with a clamp or mini ViseGrip, very gently, about halfway between the screw and the end of the slot in the trigger. This is supposed to help take stress off the screw sufficient to let it come loose when turning with reasonable force.

If this doesn't work, I'd suggest warming the whole trigger a bit with a lighter. Once it's good and warm - not hot, you don't want to de-temper it, so watch out you don't change the colour of the finish - place a cold piece of aluminum rod exactly the same size as the screw head against that screw head. You'd probably bet better off actually filing a mock screwdriver tip into the dowel, making a small slot blade with a very flat surface either side of it, so as to make better contact with the steel screw head. A few seconds of contact to suck out some heat from the screw... then quickly loosen it with either the aluminum dowel pressed firmly into the screw or with a proper screwdriver. Shy of going for a tiny piece of dry ice, I think that's about as much relative shrinkage between the screw and the trigger as you're likely to get.

Of course by heating the thing you're probably going to burn off any lubricating oils or penetrating oils you put in, so perhaps the heating thing isn't the best idea.

It's not a very complicated piece of metal, and even if parts are hard to get not all that big a deal to make a new trigger. I'm not entirely happy with the shape of mine, and will likely be making one with a much stronger slant to the right and a tighter curve soon, once I settle on exactly where I like my finger. Had the gun 9 days now... so need a bit more time to get used to what's to like and what's not to like about the trigger. Good luck with yours.
zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

Had the same problem on mine!

Nobody has mentioned WD40 yet... (or I didnt read throughly)

WD40, leave it for 5 min. And then try the cumulative torque technique. You have to make sure that the screwdriver you use, or the bit on it, fits EXACTLY the slot on the screw. (A big handle on the screwdriver helps a lot with the torque applied)

Mine was REALLY tight, and nothing worked, but the above method got it loose!

Good luck
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you can lay your hands on "Kroil", it's considerably better as a stuck fastener oil than WD40.