How to train not to tighten your grip

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
venison

How to train not to tighten your grip

Post by venison »

I came back to shooting SP after a long forced break and I realize that I acquired a strong tendency to tighten my grip when the shot is about to release, thus the shots land on the upper-left side of the target (anywhere from 9 o'clock to 11 o'clock, usually in the 8 and 7 rings).

Therefore, I would apprecite if someone could tell me some exercises to help me keep a steady grip--or point to previous posts if this issue has already been discussed before.

It's interesting how this tendency to tighten the grip becomes more noticeables when training for the 20" and 10" series.

P.S.

I miss the "quick post" (anonymous) option that was available on this forum not so long ago.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Two things come immediately to mind:

1) Lots of dry firing

2) Start with a tighter grip. This will at least reduce the disturbance.
lastman

Post by lastman »

It's an issue about mindfulness and discipline.

When you're training pay attention to the tension in your grip. Ensure that you are comfortable with the pressure you have on the grip and maintain it by paying attention to it.

It will take a few weeks of doing it fairly often and then you shouldn't have to worry too much.

Good luck
venison

Post by venison »

lastman wrote:It's an issue about mindfulness and discipline.

When you're training pay attention to the tension in your grip. Ensure that you are comfortable with the pressure you have on the grip and maintain it by paying attention to it.

It will take a few weeks of doing it fairly often and then you shouldn't have to worry too much.

Good luck
I will try this.

Thank you to the both of you who answered my question and to anyone who's read it.