Best approach to sight risers

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

melchloboo

Best approach to sight risers

Post by melchloboo »

I've determined I need some, but not sure how high. I put an ad up here but nobody offering any used. What is an economical way to approach buying new...are there adjustable risers out there? Stacking? Any ideas and links to suppliers appreciated.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Check this out:

http://euroshooting.eu/en/index.php?vyr ... &akt_str=2

Do a little search also,as there are many others in the same site.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Check out Centra and Gehman sight raising blocks. I suggest you get the ones that can be adjusted in small increments of 2-mm. This way you can fine tune the sight height.

My preferred choice is the Gehman adjustable raisers with different spacers and screw lengths, The smallest spacer is 1-mm and in my opinion more robust than the Centra.

Try 'Intershoot' in Ireland, they will export any where.

OBS
justadude

Post by justadude »

Melch'

You open with a pretty blanket statement and I will toss a question or two back at you.

First, are you shooting prone, 3P or ISSF/USAS Air Rifle? This is important for two reasons. First, if you are shooting Air Rifle there is a 60mm maximum distance from centerline of the bore to centerline of the front sight. Second, prone shooters will ususally have very small risers, if any, while the more upright standing and kneeling tend to require more riser block.

Can you stack blocks? Absolutely, the extreme example of this was been Rajmond Debevec-Olympic Gold Medal, Sydney 2000 (apologies if I misspelled the name there) who had about 4 riser blocks stacked on top of his rifle at one time. Most 3P shooters have some kind of riser block on their rifles.

The next question here, what kind of rifle are you shooting. There is more of the new fancy adjustable stuff available for the current crop of target rifles. At the same time, while things are available, there are fewer options for the 14xx/18xx Anschutz with the prism block front sight.

Now, if you have modern stuff you can get adjustable risers. Not sure if the same stuff is available for older hardware. However, the "standard" (if there is such a thing) riser block is 8mm. 8mm risers are availble for pretty much anything. My thought would be to get (borrow) a single set of 8mm risers and work with them some and see if that is the direction you want to go. If you are lucky you can borrow 2 sets and try some of the stacking. If you like the way things feel then you can take the plunge for the more expensive adjustable affairs.

While the adjustable can be interesting, I will also say there are lots of small "fiddlely" parts to keep track of in getting them set up. That can be a pain, depending on your range environment.

Cheers,

'Dude
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

For now mostly prone with ans 1807.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Dude has made some good points, so take note.

If the rifle is being used under the ISSF rules the fore sight tunnel can not be more that 60-mm above the bore line of the barrel. This is measured from the centre of the bore to the centre of the tunnel.

OBS
Barney

Post by Barney »

Check out the link below, I have a set of these and I think there the best on the market at present.

http://www.tec-hro.de/index.php?page=pr ... 093a1218ff
justadude

Post by justadude »

Melch,

With the 1807 you have the older prism block front sight setup. As noted before, this limits your options some but if you are just getting going experimenting with risers then this can be a good thing.

I just took a quick look to see if I could find the Anschutz part number for a riser block set for the old 14xx/18xx setup. If you call the usual suspects Champion Shooter, Champions Choice or Neal Stepp at I.S.S. (Neal tends to be my "go to" guy.) I am sure they could find it for you.

For shooting prone, you would not need more than one standard 8mm riser set. Also, have you worked at all with the cheekpiece? 1807 has the two long screws going up from the bottom of the butt stock into the cheekpiece assembly that hold the cheekpiece to the stock. The rifle comes out of the box with a few shims installed between the cheek and stock but there is no law that says the shims have to stay there or cannot be added to. (There is also no law that says you have to use Anschutz shim, any piece of thin plastic, cardboard, heavy paper etc. cut to fit is fine.) Do be gentle when tightening things back down. Those are steel screws going into an aluminum spindle on that cheek assembly so they can be overtightened. Bottom line here, a few small tweaks with the cheekpiece can reap tremendous benefits with the comfort and positioning of the head. It takes time to experiment.

JSB mentioned the 60mm center bore to center sight rule. Now, ISSF could be instituting this for all rifles (These days the latest news from ISSF changes more frequently than the weather) and JSB is on top of the change. However, this rule is usually considered applicable to air rifles and 300M standard rifles. (ISSF 7.4.2) the 1807 these days fits into the 50m rifle category (ISSF 7.4.3) This is all of course idle chatter if you are shooting under different rules. (NRA prone for instance where almost anything goes)

Good Luck
'Dude
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Nra prone smallbore. Have tried the cheekpiece adjustments.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Come to think of it, I have the butt set really low for standing. Maybe that is the problem in prone...
justadude

Post by justadude »

Melch'

Not sure I follow completely what you are saying but if I follow, you have the butt plate low from being in standing and have not moved it to account for the differences of the prone position. Take advantage of the adjustability, for an 1807 in prone you will set the butt plate very likely as high or near as high as it will go.

'Dude
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

As the current ISSF rules stand (checked this morning!) the 60 mm limit sight line to bore centre is for air and 300 standard rifles only, every thing else you can do what you wish.
Robin