NRA rifle qual program ...targets

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

pmelchman

Post by pmelchman »

hello,

My son is shooting the 4-position rifle qualification program. He has been using three different targets, TQ1/5, A 36 and USAS NRA 50.
My question is, how does the scoring values change due to the different targets? How are the scores in the Distinguished Expert affected? The Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program booklet only addresses the A 17 and TQ 1 at 50'.

regards

pmelchman
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

The TQ-1 target is basically a beginner target to teach the fundamentals of sighting and to boost confidence. Scoring rings are very wide, and are not the same distance from ring to ring, but beginners can almost always come away with points on this target, even in standing

The A-36 is a reduced target from the >>NRA<< 50m target ... i.e. reduced in size from 50m to 50ft.
After I get my shooters from 3-P air to 3-P smallbore, I use this target for them until they are scoring about 525, then I shift them to ....

The NRA/USA-50 target is a reduced size >>ISSF<< 300m and it the hardest of the three targets (smallest rings of the lot)
USA Shooting uses the USA-50 for Junior Olympic qualification, NCAA uses the USA-50 for their smallbore rifle comps, and NRA uses the USA-50 for the Intercollegiate Club Comps.

If you are familiar with the ORION scoring system, the USA-50 size bull is what the new ORION smallbore targets use.
===================

Our club uses the 4-H passport qualification program which is affiliated with USA Shooting. In the 50foot smallbore events you can use either the A-36 or USA-50 .... no brainer here, use the A-36 as the kids will have higher scores. If your program allows a TQ-1 for qual, hey, go for that as in beginners you are looking to boost their confidence.

Once they are shooting in the 560/570's+, it really does not matter too much as they are shooting almost all deep 9's & X's
pmelchman

Post by pmelchman »

thanks j,

but what I
m looking for is the Winchester/NRA Qualification program scoring values for those targets mentioned above. The program does not mention the USAS NRA 50 target....
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Since the qualification program only notes the use of A-17 or TQ-1 at 50 ft --or-- A-23 at 50 yds ... use those .... the A-36 and the USA-50 do not map to the noted targets and are "harder" targets to score on.

I guess I'm wondering why you would want to make the qualification harder?

If you have not seen the targets before, pistoleer.com has images of the various targets for comparison
pmelchman

Post by pmelchman »

well,

Im not trying to make it harder, I just want o make use of the several hundred targets he has shot over the winter.....
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

If he is in the 4 Position qualification course you need the A17 or TQ1.

Why don't you switch over to the "American Rifleman" 3 position qualification, and use his A36 and USAS50 targets? Score requirements are the same for both targets.
pal177

conversion A36 to A17

Post by pal177 »

The older Qual program requirements had the conversion listed. IIRC Pro-Marks in A17 = 20 or better, and A36 = 12 or better. The old tracking cards that you could buy from the NRA had both listed. If my little gray cells can remember, I'll grab one from our clubhouse & post back in a few days.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

The "old" qualification program was replaced by the NRA/Winchester Qualification program. I don't think they are using any kind of conversion factor, but one could check with the training division at NRAHQ.
pal177

Vintage qualification program :^)

Post by pal177 »

OK, Coach Paula reporting "live" from the Wheaton Rifle Club, repository of vintage junior ephemera. Here's the score conversions from an old NRA Qualification record card. The original poster can do with this what he wants. All following scores are A-36 target, 5 shot groups:
Pro-marks 8
Marks 10
Marks 1st 12
Sharps 20
bar 1 30
bar 2 12
bar 3 20
bar 4 30
bar 5 12
bar 6 20
bar 7 30
bar 8 12
bar 9 20
Expert 30
Dist Ex prone 15
Dist Ex sit 15
Dist Ex kneel 12
Dist Ex stand 12
evasm9901

ORION scoring system

Post by evasm9901 »

I would like to learn more about the ORION scoring system. To you guys have any links that I could check out the my give me more information on the system. Do you guys like the system? Why do you like it more than the other systems? Do you guys know if any portland masonry contractors build systems that can be used in this sort of scoring?
Last edited by evasm9901 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCU

Post by PCU »

jhmartin

Re: ORION scoring system

Post by jhmartin »

evasm9901 wrote:I would like to learn more about the ORION scoring system. To you guys have any links that I could check out the my give me more information on the system. Do you guys like the system? Why do you like it more than the other systems?
Here in NM we use ORION on almost every match ... especially our CMP cups and the state championships.

I personally think it is great for Air Rifle. It's not quite as robust for .22 rifle in that the the holes are not as crisp as in air and thus it's best to double-check those that are, say, withing .1 of crossing a line.

I use both for our training programs. It now has the capability to score 2 holes per bull which makes the target acquisition costs a bit lower.

I like.