Build up material

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

WesternGrizzly

Build up material

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Those of you that build up your cheekpiece/pistol grip so it fits better, what compound do you use and why?
Matt
RobStubbs

Re: Build up material

Post by RobStubbs »

WesternGrizzly wrote:Those of you that build up your cheekpiece/pistol grip so it fits better, what compound do you use and why?
Matt
For pistol grips I use morini grip paste, which is a kind of plastic wood. I use it because it works, but I don't doubt there are alternatives and that they work equally well. For my cheek piece, I've only so far removed wood, but I don't think I'd use the same material as for my grip if I needed to build it up.

Rob.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

For rifles, pieces of old targets and duct tape. Cheap, available, easily changed to get proper adjustment, and just tear it off and start over next year with a new shooter.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

My pistol grip used to be Milliput but recently I discovered FIMO modeling clay which works quite well.
zuckerman

Post by zuckerman »

Howdy, I have modified my LP10E with a product called Sugru, Sugru is a moldable silicone that is designed for a multitude of uses, see www.instructables.com for the range of uses, also see my Steyr LP10e grip I modified. If the sugru is in the wrong place, or needs to be modified, it can be physically removed, note that the edges of the pad have been made smaller by simply removing it.
www.sugru.com I have no connection to this product, I just like using it....[/img]
Attachments
the pattern was created by pressing a piece of netting into it before it sets up.
the pattern was created by pressing a piece of netting into it before it sets up.
Ryan.jacobs

Post by Ryan.jacobs »

I use tennis racket grip tape on my cheekpiece, that seems to work very well.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I have two strips of squash racket tape on the pistol grip of my rifle. Although it used to be built up slightly more with Bluetack and gaffer tape :)
NateG

Post by NateG »

Bondo! Much less, umm, un-do-able than some of the other options, but it's cheap, cures pretty quickly, holds up well, but sands down very easily, too.
Globesmasher17

Post by Globesmasher17 »

I'm gonna' try that Sugru - that's for the reference and website link zuckerman.
Globesmasher17

Post by Globesmasher17 »

bruce wrote:I have two strips of squash racket tape on the pistol grip of my rifle. Although it used to be built up slightly more with Bluetack and gaffer tape :)
I used to use Dr Scholls gell inserts and then wrap them up in "vet wrap" to "bulk out" the pistol grip. I tried the "sugru" and it worked well - quite cheap and easy to work with and mold.

Looks a darned site better too.
Thanks for the link and tip. ..................... :)
Attachments
Black Sugru
Black Sugru