First air rifle - 5 year old

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

orionshooter

First air rifle - 5 year old

Post by orionshooter »

Hi gang,

I seek your advice on which air rifle to buy for my now five year old son who is aching to fire his first shot. I think I can develop his taste for serious shoooting later by keeping it fun and simple for now (as in back yard plinking). Even if he never decides to become a serious shooter, fun is still the immediate goal.

I really like the Airforce Edge - compressed air, two stage trigger and adjustability of both the forend and stock are very appealing. Plus that gun has got some serious WOW factor which I know he will love.

Unfortunately our host has inexplicably stopped carrying the item. I thought it might be wise to get some advice before I plunk down the 600-700 bucks.

Any suggestions?? I'm sold on PCP since I already have a SCUBA set up for my Morini air pistol and dont want to bother with CO2 or piston guns.

Thanks to all of you in advance
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

5 years old shooting an AF Edge????

If you can find one on the used market a Diana 70 or 72 is my recommendation. These are sub-junior rifle, which are more likely to fit him.
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

I like the Edge because of its' adjustability - aftrer all, he aint the ONLY one that's gonna be shooting it. Mom and I hope to get a turn as well.

Besides, arent the Diana 70 series break action types??
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Yes the 70/72 are breakbarrels.

The reason I suggested the 70/72 is the very short LoP. I can't find my notes on that rifle, but I "think" the LoP goes down to 10-3/4 inches (sub-junior size) and is adjustable with spacers. I don't know of any other sub-junior size air rifle.

This link has some pix where you can compare the size of the the Diana 70 to other rifles.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/405945/t ... +the+other+...

According to the Pyramid web site, the min LoP on the AF Edge is 12 inches. So it gets down to junior size.

The the decision of a Diana 70/72 vs the AF Edge is fit and how small is he right now and how fast do you think he will grow.
melina

Post by melina »

The memories...I had a Diana when I was little, around 9 or 10 years old, and shot it in competitions as well. I remember liking it a lot. Best wishes and lots of fun with your son!
alanwein

why not a 499B?

Post by alanwein »

Wondering why you have rejected the idea of a Daisy 499B shooting Education BB gun. Works for about a quarter million new shooters each year. With a little attention to details it will hit a thumbtack at 16 feet every time. At 3 pounds it is light enough for a 5 year old.
melina

Post by melina »

I started out with a Daisy BB gun before the Diana. It would probably be easier for a 5-year-old to load and shoot. Like alanwein says, it's very light.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

melina
Was that the Diana 70 or 72?
Did you you use the stock rear sight or upgrade the sights when you shot competitions?
melina

Post by melina »

GaryN, I took a look at your link, because it's been a while! Based on my memory and your pics, I think I had the 70. As for the sights, I can't recall for sure, but I know it was a peep sight.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Melina
The 70 was a recoiling rifle and the 72 was the recoilless version.