USAS Nationals / What to expect for a first timer

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
coker

USAS Nationals / What to expect for a first timer

Post by coker »

Hi All,

I am considering participating at this year July 4 USAS Nationals in air pistol. Can anybody out there with previous experience on the matches give me some pointers as to what to expect.
the /PET is an afternoon pre event training, how that works, is the time frame open only to air pistol, can I get there at 3pm and shoot for about 2 hours? what if it is full?
if the matches are at the morning , are them at 9am? what to do after its finish? how long are the MFA ( match finals and award),
If I go I want to stay the least possible and schedule my flights as tight as possible.
Anyways, those matches seem lenghly, expensive and time consuming as they are during the week. certainly highly discouraging for medium level competitors. I think, people have to be really pistol nuts to spend that kind of money (flight, car, hotel, time from work of from family vacation, etc), and score in the middle of the pack. Nevertheless, this year I think I will do it, at least once in a lifetime. It will be tough, I will have my family BBQ on Sunday and then tell everybody I will burn a thousand dollars plus and travel by myself to Georgia,, they will think I am nuts.

thanks all.
david alaways

Nationals

Post by david alaways »

If u can afford go, Post on TT for a roommate. use the USAS discount. practice I dont think was ever full, My one and only time was relaxed. Its no big deal. Honestly!!!! NO BIG DEAL. Go relaxed stay relaxed. But if you r any closer to Colorado the winter championships r even better and alot cheaper ALOT CHEAPER. If you wish to do that you can PM me and I will give you some pointers.You get to know other shooters most if not all of which you will enjoy. Hope to see you at nationals but my life today just took a major turn and I might not make it.
coker

Post by coker »

David,
Thanks for your kind reply and recomendation. the dates on the website were crooked, I talked with Lindsay Brooks and she was able to fix it. It turns out for AP training starts on Sunday and not on Monday as it looked like. The program has hotels with group rates, which are fantastic, and much better than finding a roadside motel.
I am leaning towards going, but still a long personal road ahead. Based on the number of replies, it seems that very few people actually made it to the nationals so to make a hands on recomendation.
The Colorado winter championships sounds good, but I am afraid my first week of December is compromised.
best regards,
Miguel Wong
coker

Post by coker »

David,
I am curious, Why do you think the Colorado championships are better? I understand it may be cheaper due to the housing facilities (limited and not sure if appealing). but other than that: more shooters? ambience?
thanks and cheers,
m,
david alaways

Nationals

Post by david alaways »

your staying at the Olympic training center, in Colo springs. Its incredible . Sure it wears off after a couple trips but columbus GA. The home to sweat and pawn shops. Good Blacken catfish, southern Bar B Q. .. At the OTC you will room with acouple shooters (hopefully make friends) at meals you can talk shooting. If its an olympic year and you like sports there is plenty to see. No need to rent a car. food is good (was great then they got healthy) 3 days of shooting AP (I think only 2 at nationals) No lay over in Atlanta( for a farm boy thats good). What else? YOU WILL MEET ALOT OF TT ERS. All of them r nice except that lady from wyoming. (just kidding).... snow or sweat that is the question!
david alaways

Nationals

Post by david alaways »

Let me tell u what my opinion is based on. Nationals was my first AP match ever. I only knew Ron.(a shooter from Sacramento) I had never been to the south. I live in a non humid area. I stayed in the wrong hotel. I did learn what a Waffle house was ( cheesey eggs)..... Now Colo. I love the mountains, I am in the rock business (colo springs is rock center) I love all sports, and my goal in life is to get fat (gain weight) Only 2 places have ever done that for me , The OTC and cruise ships. I think you need someone else to answer , Good luck.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I never shot at Ft. Benning, but I can tell you all about Colorado Springs and the OTC.

I only stayed in the dorms one time. The guy in the next room snored so loudly I thought he was being strangled. If he wasn't, I was about to do it!

The last time I went it was called 3X Air and I stayed in the fancy Cheyenne Mountain Resort and Conference Center where my wife got us extremely low rates (being in the business).

The food at the OTC is excellent! No worries there, but there are nearby restaurants if you prefer. There is also a bar right across the street that has been the downfall of many a competitor. I personally prefer the Phantom Canyon brew pub a short ride downtown.

The matches are great; professionally run, great big crowd, comfortable locale, and go on for a long time.

If you're not taking a shot at the title, I would prefer Colorado.
david alaways

nationals

Post by david alaways »

Rover hit the nail on the head, My first time at OTC was much like his. Hasnt happened since. If u are a serious shooter and expect to shoot in the finals dont stay at the OTC it will be a distraction. Alot of the chat will be negative (because shooters r mostly discussing what they did wrong)(never discuss what went wrong with a top shooter at an event, he wont want to talk with you again). During the next Olympic trials I am not staying at the OTC but am glad I did during my first trials.Now it just depends on your personality and budget and YES a couple $1000 to shoot pellet guns! you r NUTS !!!. A couple $1000 to buy a pellet gun your wife(in my case) better understand that you r NUTS.
coker

Post by coker »

Thanks you guys for the nice postings.
I know what it is to go to matches and pair with a snoring roommate, lots of fun, drinks at night, etc, etc,, but you are right, if you are serious, they are too much distraction.
Once, we were 3 team member in a single room, two of us went out for drinks and the older partner said: you guys better don't be late, we have to shoot early tomorrow. well,, we show up back a the hotel at 4 am... drunk as dogs during the match,, but we won anyways..
I am talking about different times and different eras,,, the kids may think; this people are talking about the last century, ( no,, I m not that old),

will mark my calendar and put my best effort.

thanks,
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

I have a different perspective - I much preferred shooting at Benning compared to the OTC. I shot at OTC first (the old 3x air) and was disappointed in the facilities and lack of info. Took me most of a day to discover that there were two ranges (upstairs and downstairs) because I couldn't find anyone to tell me what was going on/where to go. Not well organized - at least not the year I attended. Benning has excellent facilities - no comparison between its AP range with electronic targets and ample seating for spectators and the OTC AP range with its pulley target system and lack of seating (find a spot on the floor). Benning is very well organized with lots of friendly helpful people - as you would expect for a military operation. The added plus for me was the ability to also compete in 50M and Standard pistol for not too many more dollars - travel expense being the same whether I stayed for one match or three. As far as food goes I like both Georgia barbecue and Japanese sushi.