Chiappa Rhino Revolver 357 - option for ISSF CF?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Brian James

Chiappa Rhino Revolver 357 - option for ISSF CF?

Post by Brian James »

I think this topic is well suited for the shooters lounge.

I’m not sure if shooters have come across this revolver, but I thought I’d bring it up as a discussion topic. The revolver has a very low bore line, which may make it ideally suited for ISSF CF. Its hard to tell if the revolver will comply with the ISSF rules because the barrel line's up with the bottom of the cylinder.

The trigger mechanism looks overly complex, but if it shoots it might be worth a try.

Chiappa Rhino Revolver 357 -

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/728

I have no vested interest in this company, just looking at different options. It’s a reasonable price point compared to many other revolvers and its design may make it a good target revolver.

Brian
renzo

Post by renzo »

Nope.

See I.S.S.F. rule 8.4.2.1
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Actually with a careful manufacturing of a target grip, it would indeed be legal - as long as all the other characteristics are appropriate.

Dr Jim
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Dr. Jim wrote:Actually with a careful manufacturing of a target grip, it would indeed be legal - as long as all the other characteristics are appropriate.
The angle of finger on the trigger might be a bit interesting.

Keeping within the box size would also be a challenge.
renzo

Post by renzo »

What would be the point in rising the bore line in a specifically designed low-bore-line revolver so as to clear the line of the hand???

It would end being even more unwieldy than a standard revolver.
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

The Chiappa design could with a proper grip (and probably the 5 inch barrel) yield a revolver with the boreline just passing above the web of the hand and still being able to fit into the ISSF box. Note that a S&W M14 usually has the bore about 1.5 to 2.0 cm above the web and this will result in a good bit of twist and lift on recoil. I've modified Smith revolvers with "saw-handle" target grips and reduced that to about a centimetre, but to achieve anything higher one needs to start chopping pieces out of the lower frame. PM me if you want to see a picture of that revolver.

Cheers --- Dr Jim

why is this HERE?

Post by Guest »

This is certainly a good topic for the ... wait for it ... PISTOL forum! Taa-daa!