2nd for Eric U in Sydney world cup March 2011

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

RobStubbs

2nd for Eric U in Sydney world cup March 2011

Post by RobStubbs »

Just seen that Eric has finished 2nd in the 50M prone at this world cup. Went into the finals in first on 599, but the winner (Weiyi Wang of China) shot a cracking 106.4 in the finals to win by 0.1 point. And both earn their countries a quota spot for London 2012.

Well done !

Rob.
willymakit

Eric U.

Post by willymakit »

Do you know if Eric was shooting his new action? That would be great, a U.S. shooter using a U. S. produced rifle!
willy
Tim S

Re: Eric U.

Post by Tim S »

willymakit wrote:Do you know if Eric was shooting his new action? That would be great, a U.S. shooter using a U. S. produced rifle!
willy
Yes, the ISSF footage showed Eric was using his "own" action.
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

Congratulations !
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

I can't find any video from the finals...
Some help please?
Martin Catley

ISSF Video

Post by Martin Catley »

Any pointers as to how to find the Video of the Prone final the site has changed and do not see the ISSF TV? for a Internet poor operator?
havardma

Post by havardma »

The 3 minute version is located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOsptIK4plM

Doesn't look like the full version is uploaded yet.
havardma

Post by havardma »

Full version is now at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1gTJCJtWF8

For access to all new ISSF videos its easiest to use http://www.youtube.com/issfchannel
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Thank you!!!
bruce

Post by bruce »

A cracking final!
willymakit

extreme performance to the last shot

Post by willymakit »

I would love to see a real life size pic of the last target shot!
Splendid Performance!
Spencer

Re: extreme performance to the last shot

Post by Spencer »

willymakit wrote:I would love to see a real life size pic of the last target shot!
Splendid Performance!
in the past I have been able to click 'live view' on the Sius results (http://results.sius.com/ShootEvent.aspx ... nt=FR60PRM for the 50mProne) but it does not seem to be working at the moment, only the results list is available
Buckeye

50m Prone Final

Post by Buckeye »

50m Prone Final
Wang 106.4
Eric 104.2
Attachments
wang final 106.4
wang final 106.4
Eric final 104.2
Eric final 104.2
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Both congratulations and commiserations to Eric - to lose out on the Gold on the final shot must be tough.

That 106.4 is quite remarkable though. Cracking shoot from Wang.

Interesting to hear Matt saying on the commentary that "the guns aren't that good..." around 17mins in.
Mind you, if Eric's sights were a couple of clicks left it might have been different.

Got to love this sport.

K.
willymakit

"The guns are not that good"

Post by willymakit »

Have you ever met a shooter better than the gun he was shooting?
willy
KennyB

Re: "The guns are not that good"

Post by KennyB »

willymakit wrote:Have you ever met a shooter better than the gun he was shooting?
willy
Another quote from the commentary:

"Harald (Stenvaag) shot Anschutz rifles for a very long time and I think just recently he switched to a Bleiker and all of a sudden started shooting well again...." (9m15s)

So yes, I think there are shooters for whom the accuracy of the rifle/ammunition is the limiting factor.
willymakit

Repeatability

Post by willymakit »

If I'm not mistaken, ultimate accuracy depends on repeatability; really good ammo, conditions(wind, temp, light) the gun obviously, and the biggest variable of all the human. No doubt the top shooters are very good at their game, but I still think they do not REPEAT as well as the equipment. I also believe the ergonomics of some of the latest guns help shooters in very small but important ways. Like having the loading port just above the trigger, allowing reload without losing position. Totally adjustable stocks to fit any individual, Etc. The latest equipment is great, and yet some still excell using old school, like wood stocks. Ha-Ha.
willy
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

OK, to put the comment into perspective:

After 4 shots Wang's scores were 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.8.....

If anyone were to perform 4 shots PERFECTLY they would still get error from bullet dispersion. The record at the Eley Test Range is of the order of 428.0 which equates to an average shot score of 10.7. If that is typical then getting 3 out of 4 shots which are better than average and 1 which is merely average is quite a low probability chain of events..... a bit like flipping 4 heads in a row.

At the end, a score of 106.4 would require either exceptional shooting with the best equipment - or a degree of good fortune - or both.
And the first 4 shots even more so.

That's what I understand by the "the guns aren't that good..." comment anyhow.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

I know many shooters that are better than their guns. At the very upper levels of international prone competition, the rifle is THE limiting factor. I've shot many supposedly "select" and top level guns that simply don't have the accuracy necessary to compete internationally. At my level, there is a never-ending search for the best shooting gun. The whole reason I designed and built my own rifle action was because I couldn't find a backup gun that shot even close to as well as my old worn-out Anschutz. I tried dozens. What the major rimfire rifle manufacturers are counting on is that 95% of the people who shoot their .22's can't tell that their rifle isn't the best one out there. The other 5% know and are constantly testing, evaluating, modifying, and experimenting trying to get that last 1% of accuracy out of their rifles (think I shoot a wood stock out of habit?). If you don't do this you won't be on the medal stand.

Eric U
Colin

Post by Colin »

It was still an exceptional performance considering the pressure of being in a final.On that day and time everything came together, rifle/ammo matched to rifle/training/ and a little bit of good fortune.
Another thing the final was shoot outdoors, ok the wind may not have been doing much but it's still effecting the bullet and he has to take that into consideration.
A lot of other finals at these World cups last year were shoot indoors,which I personally don't agree with.A lot of how good you are at this sport also depends on how well you read the wind etc.