Sandbag or what

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jer

Sandbag or what

Post by jer »

What would be good support for .22 pistol ammo test? I think shooting by hand would give more realistic results than shooting from ransomrest. I have Pardini with Rink grip so there might not be grip plates for that.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Shooting from a rest will tell you how the ammo performs technically. You can then shoot the best couple of batches by hand to see if they feel different (recoil etc).

Rob.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Recognizing that operator technique can influence RR results, I'd be amazed if many people could hand hold a pistol and get meaningful results at 50 meters. (I have been to the Eley Customer Range to batch test TENEX in my Hammerli.)

At 25 meters I wouldn't bother.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Pardini tests their semi auto guns at 25 meters. For the free pistol, you can clamp the barrel in a set of "blank" Ransom inserts . You will need to remove the front counterweight system. This is also how I test the TOZ and Morini. If you are worried about one of the cross bolds on the RR scratching your barrel, wrap it with a layer of electrical tape first.
tenex

Post by tenex »

Hi jer,
For .22's I've had very good luck with a sandbag under the trigger guard/magazine of guns like the Pardini. If I'm careful I can shoot groups with a red dot consistently in the sub 1.5" range (10 shots@50 yards) with a gun with appropriate accuracy.

If I can verify that my .22 will turn in consistent 10 shot groups below 2" at 50 yards, I'm satisfied. I'm really not interested in how accurate the gun is beyond that, since that additional level of accuracy has essentially no impact on my scores.

I've also found that the zero found from the sand bag works for offhand shooting. This makes my life pretty easy. I'd suggest either a dot or 2+ magnification scope for testing. I plan on trying the .45 from a sandbag this summer, I too have had problems with the ransom rest.

I still have issues with iron sights, the geometry of my shooting glasses doesn't support the posture from the sand bag.

Steve.