Improving your hold

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jackh

Improving your hold

Post by jackh »

Isabel wrote in a nearby thread the oft heard line "you can only shoot as good as your hold". I understand the statement and totally believe it. And I know it varies day to day, hour to hour.

I am in a rehab period after shoulder surgery. It seems to be going well. And I do think I can shoot as good as my hold these days at the range. However there is a relearning thing going on. I know my hold has been better. I keep trying to find the technique that makes it better like I have seen in the time prior to the infirm shoulder. Actually weakness is the main problem in the shoulder. So I believe I am looking to make up for that with compensations in the grip and posture. I believe I have found out a few good things about posture for the shot. I am not sure I am on the right track in what I am doing from the shoulder out to the gun.

Maybe I should topic this "rebuilding the hold".
David Levene

Re: Improving your hold

Post by David Levene »

jackh wrote:I am not sure I am on the right track in what I am doing from the shoulder out to the gun.
IMHO the problems regarding improving the general area of hold are rarely related to weaknesses in the arm / elbow / wrist. It is normally fairly easy to train the muscles in those areas to be stable.

The hold area is more affected by things happenning from the shoulder down to the feet. Just sort those out and the movement goes away ;-)
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I "train" from the shoulder down in church. Whenever I am standing I try to stand still. I also notice other people swaying like a willow tree in a thunderstorm. Whenever one stands it's a good idea to stand still.
Patrick Haynes

Re: Improving your hold

Post by Patrick Haynes »

jackh wrote:So I believe I am looking to make up for that with compensations in the grip and posture. I believe I have found out a few good things about posture for the shot. I am not sure I am on the right track in what I am doing from the shoulder out to the gun.

Maybe I should topic this "rebuilding the hold".
Hello Jack.

I have seen some issues in poor hold due to weakness in the upper body down through the grip. Usually, you'll see someone arching backwards to counterbalance the pistol weight (overkill, considering the small weight of the gun) or overgripping. Bending away from the gun can change your centre of balance, possibly outside or to the edge of your base of support, which leaves you susceptible to sway. Over gripping can induce shakes. Both deteriorate hold.

You will need to get that shoulder back up to strength. Make sure that development is symetrical (top, front and back). Ensure that you're also building up the strength in your upper back, to immobilize your shoulder blade.

I'd also suggest that you work on developing your core, with an emphasis on postual stability. Planks and lunges are just two great examples of what you can do to strengthen your core and stabilizers.

You want to stengthen your platform overall, as opposed to having a series of (relatively) weak muscles interact with a series of strong muscles. Remember that everything is inter-related and that you are only as good as your weakest link.

Hope that helps.
Patrick
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Not sure that trying to stand perfectly still in church would be a help. The body needs to be out of balance during physical training so the muscles that correct balance can be toned and are then able to come into play to prevent wobble when we are shooting.
Try moving your body in a controlled figure eight sway clockwise then anticlockwise. Your ankles, knees, hips and waist all get involved.
Another trick is improve your balance by standing on a bosu or sitting with both legs in the air on a gym ball. (try kneeling on it once your balance improves). These exercises not only strengthen your core but tone up the many muscles involved in holding you steady when shooting.
Cheers Colin