Smallbore - Newbie question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ARshooter

Smallbore - Newbie question

Post by ARshooter »

Have been shooting 10m airgun for a few years but just bought a used Anschuetz biathlon rifle. I was surprised how different smallbore shooting is.
Now you have to deal with the longer distance, wind, outdoor lighting and recoil.
I would be grateful for any advice that would help to make the transition easier. Also what is the best procedure to zero the sights? bench rest, offhand standing or prone?
Thanks for your help
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

You can star you zeroing on the bench or prone, but be aware you may have a different zero for each position. Write it down in your diary on the page for that position and always return your sight to a common zero point (prone for example) at the end of each shooting session.
skylark

Post by skylark »

It's not really that different. I mean, it feels different, but the principles are the same. You need to follow through just like for the air rifle, recoil or no.

If you're just starting out getting used to the rifle, I'd try to pick days when it's not too windy to start with. Just to cut down on the number of new things to deal with all at once.

Zeroing...if you have access to a benchrest, especially to find the target first time out, that's great. Otherwise I'd say prone but then I'm a prone shooter :) If you're a really good standing shot and totally new to prone then you might find zeroing easier standing. Whichever position you group smallest in. And be aware that with varying wind and light your zero will probably be different, possibly very different, every time you shoot.

Are you actually doing biathlon, or will you be shooting at ordinary .22 targets with a biathlon rifle?
ARshooter

Post by ARshooter »

went to the range today and tried zeroing from the bench and then switched to standing. As you said it was off but I was closing in until the wind picked up and I even felt the barrel being moved.
At the end of my session all my shots were hitting way low, grouping but below the black. Even from the bench. Not sure what caused it. Wind? Zero issues?
I have not tried prone yet, seems like a whole new world. I'll try to set up the position at home first this weekend
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Are you using a cuff sling? A lot of weekend deer hunters bench their rifles without any down pressure on the front stock, then they attach a rifle sling and grip the forearm and shoot the dirt in front of the deer. You should shoot prone with your sling and zero the rifle, then try standing and see where your shots hit. Some biathletes will use their carry harness as a sling in standing, but most will shoot unsupported. Check out Biathlon Eurovision2 and you can get a good look at all the different variations. If you watch carefully sometimes the lead shooter will have a few misses in prone and make sight corrections as the conditions have changed since the sight in before the match.
This should probably be moved to the Biathlon forum as Kevin could probably give you some better feedback
Chris
ARshooter

Post by ARshooter »

I am using the sling and cuff. should not matter if it is a biathlon sling vs. a regular sling though
Thx