Walther LG300 Junior

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

pzoba

Walther LG300 Junior

Post by pzoba »

Does anyone sell this rifle in the US? If you know of one for sale anywhere, i would appreciate it if you would send me a link. thanks
RizzoRogan

Post by RizzoRogan »

Not sure if they are still available but the CMP did have these for sale a while back. Its worth a phone call if you have not done so already.

Walther LG300 Junior Rifle to Be Sold by CMP; Sales of Feinwerkbau P-70 Junior Suspended:
The CMP Precision Air Rifle Sales Program is making a change in the air rifle that is sold through the program. For the last three years, this program featured the Feinwerkbau P-70 Junior air rifle
that was sold at a discounted price. The sale of that rifle was suspended due to rapidly escalating costs. The CMP was, however, able to obtain a very similar precision junior air rifle that will be sold to affiliated teams and clubs at the same price. The CMP Junior Rifle Purchase Program that allows affiliated clubs and teams to purchase sporter and precision junior air rifles that can be paid for over a two-year period now will now feature the Walther LG300 Junior air rifle. The Walther LG300 Junior can now be ordered through the CMP for $725.00 each, including shipping and handling. The Walther LG300 Junior air rifle features an ambidextrous stock with an adjustable cheek piece, the same action and barrel as the full-sized Walther match air rifle, competition sights and a dry firing feature that allows dry fire practice without detaching the compressed air cylinder. Clubs and teams that recently ordered the Feinwerkbau P-70 Junior are being notified of the change and given the option of ordering the Walther rifle. Delivery of the Walther LG300 Junior is expected to start in late June or July. Additional details on this program and order forms are posted on the CMP web site at

http://www.odcmp.com/programs/jrairrifles.htm.

Another source I would try would be Champions Choice.

http://www.champchoice.com/

Good Luck!
pzoba

Post by pzoba »

Thanks, yes I tried. CMP does not have them any more and does not plan on getting them anymore... at least for the near future per Mike Conrad, the CMP Store Manager.

Champion's Choice will order them but no firm price until it ships and it may be September before receiving it.

<sigh> I guess that's just the way it is...? No support for the kids.
RizzoRogan

Post by RizzoRogan »

We only participate in sporter class in our shooting program mainly because of cost. If it were not for the fact that I supply almost all of the equipment (2 Avanti XS40s, 2 Daisy 853's, spotting scopes, and offhand stands) for our six active shooters we would not even have an air rifle program. Having said that I have a little working knowledge on anything beyond sporter but not totally ignorant about it.

Just curious why you only interested or dead set on the LG300?
pzoba

Post by pzoba »

Why am I set on the LG 300 Junior....? I would say that I am not. There are a couple others that I would consider. The Anschutz 8002 Junior... Also the FWB P70... Are there others that I am overlooking?

I don't want a pump. I'm looking for a serious junior precision rifle for a serious junior shooter. He's earned his NRA Expert classification in small bore and is working toward Distinguished. He's 12 and is small. He is having fun and I want to support this hobby with good equipment. Poor equipment leads to frustration, I have found.
RizzoRogan

Post by RizzoRogan »

Congratulations for having a serious and dedicated young shooter. It sounds like he is proficient and serious about the sport and has all the fundamentals under control so I can understand your desire for quality equipment. I have several years of competitive shooting experience but have no major accomplishments other than an expert classification card. I now spend more time coaching junior shooters than shooting. I have learned through observation and experience from watching other shooters the best and most expensive equipment does not equal success. More times than not, no matter how expensive or inexpensive the equipment is the equipment will almost always outperform the operator. One example I can relate to is a friend with a master classification actually showed up to shoot a match and brought everything but his rifle, I don't remember his excuse but it didn't make into his vehicle. The only thing available was a club gun that was a ragged out service rifle that nobody could manage even an expert score with. I don't know if the barrel was shoot out sloppy sights or what. Having never shot this gun before he won the match with a high master score. None of this may be relevant but I'm sure there are plenty of other people out there with precision air rifle experience that can point you in the right direction.
pzoba

Post by pzoba »

Oh, yes, no doubt. It's usually the guys with the scarred up stocks and the bluing worn off that shoot the best groups. There's one expression I've heard of 'beware the man with just one gun... he can probably shoot it'. So, I do understand that. I am not trying to buy the most expensive stuff. I would love to find good used gear... and through this site I have discovered MT Guns and am talking to Mac about a good used youth sized small bore rifle.

But that said, the guns have to be the right size to fit well and that's what the issue is for me. Finding youth sized guns that are of decent enough quality to learn with. Right now, he's working with a TAU 200 Jr and that is plenty good enough for him for awhile, I believe. I'm looking ahead to see what I can find and be prepared for him and it seems to be hard to find good stuff.

Thanks for the reminder...
caveman

Post by caveman »

pzoba,

If you can get your hands on a full size rifle for this young man to try you may be surprised how well he can do with it. The weight and size will force him to develop a bone suported position. That and the fact of using a full size rifle may just jazz him up.
GCSInc

LG 300 Jr

Post by GCSInc »

I think Lisa Kelley @Spalding Co Shooting Sports has two for sale, one is new in the box and the other was a demo and only used for a few days.

Her number is (770) 467-4225
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

caveman wrote:If you can get your hands on a full size rifle for this young man to try you may be surprised how well he can do with it. The weight and size will force him to develop a bone suported position. That and the fact of using a full size rifle may just jazz him up.
There is a young shooter from ID (12 years old I think) using a full sized P70. First time I saw him on the line I wondered what his folks were doing. Once you saw his scores you said, "Oh, OK"

We have a couple of CMP 8002s that are great rifles
pzoba

Post by pzoba »

Yes those 8002's look really nice but unfortunately CMP does not have them anymore. Seems like they bring something in for awhile and then stop for awhile. Maybe they'll come back with something later.

I gave a call into Spaulding Co... and am waiting to hear back. Thank you for the tip!
skylark

Post by skylark »

I would absolutely not put a small junior onto a full size (and full weight) rifle. Good scores? Maybe. Bunch of back problems for the future? Oh yeah. Especially when a non-perfect position's hidden inside a stiff jacket.

My 14 year old's using a FWB P700 Junior. Great gun. Not cheap, but well worth the money, and it'll still be worth what we paid for it when she outgrows it.

We were looking at the Walther and counting the pennies when the secondhand FWB came up. No regrets that we didn't get the shiny new one.
caveman

Post by caveman »

skylark

I can undersand your concern with back problems.
My daughter is 14 as well and is just under 100 lbs. She is using a full size rig but I think she is athletic enough to handle it. She runs cross country, plays softball (pitching, shortstop, 2nd base) vollyball, basketball, and is in the marching band. This keeps us on the move but the good news is she has little time for vidio game and facebook.
randy1952

Walther LG300 Jr

Post by randy1952 »

If you want a Walther LG300 Jr you can order one through Neal Steep at ISS. I just talked to him about one last month. Given the fluctuating price of the Euro the price I got at that time is probably no longer valid. I would get it soon as the European companies have traditionally can their prices around the March or April time frame.

Martin the kid from Idaho is 15 years old now. It is a common mistake because most people looking at his size would guess his age to be about 12 years or younger. The rifle he is using is a FWB Evolution barreled action in a regular P700 stock. The Evolution barreled action uses an aluminum sleeved barrel instead of the steel barrel of a regular rifle. This cuts the weight of the rifle down to something between 9 and 10 lbs instead of the close to 12 lbs of a regular P700. We looked at this FWB 700 combo which offered something close to the weight of a junior rifle, but with the LOP (11.25") of a regular rifle so that he won't grow out of the rifle. He used to use an old P70 Junior that belonged to his club and switching to the FWB P700 Evolution Combo took some adjustment for him physically as he was starting to get back problems, but after a few months of training and some stretching routines I think his body has gotten use to the rifle. The couple of inches he has grown since he got the rifle has probably helped. However, I don't think he has broken five feet yet.

Neal is the only one that I know of that offers the various variations of the P700 that can be made that aren't listed in the catalog or website. If you need a LOP that is shorter the Walther LG300 Jr or FWB P700 Jr would be good choices.
jhmartin

Re: Walther LG300 Jr

Post by jhmartin »

randy1952 wrote:Martin the kid from Idaho is 15 years old now. It is a common mistake because most people looking at his size would guess his age to be about 12 years or younger. The rifle he is using is a FWB Evolution barreled action in a regular P700 stock. ...... The couple of inches he has grown since he got the rifle has probably helped. However, I don't think he has broken five feet yet.
Sorry, I had been updated this week on his age and had not yet gotten back to editing my post. 15 huh? When I had chatted with his mom, I must have spaced out ... or maybe I just assumed he was that young. Now you have a problem. He was the talk of all younger gals at winter airgun ... "He's sooooo cute!!!"
When I updated my daughter on his age (She's just 16) ... "Oh weeellll, he is cute!!
Poor guy!
(Tell him good luck in the JO's)
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

We've got a couple of FWB P500 rifles. It used to be called a P700 Jr of club model or something like that. It is basically a P700 barreled action in an ambidextrous wood stock. Doesn't have the riser blocks or barrel weight that the P700's have. Total weight is about 7-8 lbs and it fits a small frame shooter. My 13 year old has been one for the past two years.
randy1952

Update

Post by randy1952 »

SRichieR wrote:We've got a couple of FWB P500 rifles. It used to be called a P700 Jr of club model or something like that. It is basically a P700 barreled action in an ambidextrous wood stock. Doesn't have the riser blocks or barrel weight that the P700's have. Total weight is about 7-8 lbs and it fits a small frame shooter. My 13 year old has been one for the past two years.
FWB has introduced the P700Jr in the old P70 red and blonde laminated wood stock. The P500 I believe is the club gun.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

I was wondering how well the Walther LG300 stacked up against the other rifles in it's catagory. My 14 year old son weights 108# and needs a Junior rifle for air rifle. The CMP plan for paying out over two years would really help me out. I am all tapped out after buying his smallbore rifle, biathlon rifle and highpower rifle. His coach said I should buy the best air rifle I can afford. Need help!
Chris
randy1952

Rifle

Post by randy1952 »

Levergun59 wrote:I was wondering how well the Walther LG300 stacked up against the other rifles in it's catagory. My 14 year old son weights 108# and needs a Junior rifle for air rifle. The CMP plan for paying out over two years would really help me out. I am all tapped out after buying his smallbore rifle, biathlon rifle and highpower rifle. His coach said I should buy the best air rifle I can afford. Need help!
Chris
They all shot very well including the Walther Lg300jr. If you watched the last Olympics during the women's finals many of the rifles were LG300 Juniors. What it boils down to is how do they feel and preference. The CMP no longer sells the Walther rifles. All they sell is the Anschutz 8001 club guns. Your sons weight is not all that important. What you need to measure is his LOP and how much weight up front can he handle.

We have a Jr shooter in our state that is only about 4'8" and is handling a full length P700, but to reduce the weight up front we had a Evolution barreled action put into a regular P700 stock, which cut about 3lbs off the rifle. He is now one of the top shooters in age class.

ISS sells the LG300Jr for around $1500 right now and since the Euro is beating our dollar into the dirt prices are only going to rise and unfortunately all the used rifles out there will only go up as well.

The only thing else I can suggest is to watch for once in a life time deal, borrow the money, sell something to buy the gun, or try and join a club that will let use one theirs until you can get your own.