Timed vs Rapid cadence

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Freepistol

Timed vs Rapid cadence

Post by Freepistol »

I started shooting in a 50ft. bullseye rimfire league and noticed my timed fire and rapid fire scores are similar. The targets are really generous. I've been shooting a slower cadence in timed, but have been wondering if I should change to remove a variable. I'd greatly appreciate your theories and like to know if you shoot with the same cadence in timed as rapid.
Thanks!
Ben
Fly High

Post by Fly High »

I like to take more time in timed fire than rapid fire. A more experienced high master shooter once told me "they give you more time so make sure you take advantage of it and use it." I believe in slowing down and steadying the gun more in timed fire. I hope this helps
jackh

Post by jackh »

Cadence is an OK concept as long as it is based on sight alignment back to sight alignment. It's a rhythm in physical action rather than a timing thing.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Jack,
I phrased my question incorrectly. I'd like to know if it advisable to shoot the timed fire in 10 seconds so there is no adjustment when going to rapid fire in allowable time. I can shoot 97-98 in rapid and the same in timed-when using about 16 seconds {with my .22}. I've found 10 seconds gives me time to get the shots downrange accurately and extra time doesn't contribute to a higher score. I use metallic sights. I have not tried my .45 yet.
Thanks!
Ben
jackh

Post by jackh »

I'd go for the same. However once you nail the rapid, you might find something better for timed. But work on rapid first. Note four good rapid shots are better than 5 bad rapid shots.

Then there was the alibi rapid string where I had another dud. I switched mags (had one loaded) and got still off all my shots in the black.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

OK,
You are at the point where you should try to shoot 100's in rapid.It just takes practice. I know a few shooters who are pissed when they shoot a 99 in timed and rapid. I suggest that you shoot your timed at rapid pace just for the practice, and when you get to the place you want to be, then shoot your timed to assure a 100. Outdoors, in timed, if a strong gust of wind hits when the targets flip, I might wait a few seconds to begin the string, or pause in between a gust. Whatever it takes.
Chris