You Probably Already Noticed

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
william

Post by william »

I've progressed from a mild "I don't get it" to a passing concern that this is the newest avatar of Chet.
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
v76

Post by v76 »

I have to disagree here, sounds like you're nurturing your own 'taboo' by not clearly explaining your 'points'; which is basically diverted, hollow rhetoric.

Not knocking you here, but I suggest you open your own personal 'coaching' blog columns with real info/tips, rather than generalizations - you may get more followers that way.
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
v76

Post by v76 »

Well, followers as in 'adherents' to your teaching doctrine - eventual and potential students - so you "don't have any and not looking for any in the future"? :)

I understand what you're saying, but my point is that you don't offer much to enrich your thoughts so they become less abstract in a manner in which athletes can really project their 'athletic life' into this abstraction. I'd love to hear your real life coaching stories and their impact on an athlete's performance.

At this point, I should state that I'm a marketing consultant...!
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
v76

Post by v76 »

Wow. I didn't request your credentials. Your competence as a shooter is not the point here. Thanks for making it clear that this thread was about you, and not the 'right knowledge'.

I'll repeat again, in simple form: Give us examples on assessments you made of an athlete that led to better performances on HIS part that we could learn from. I'm really all ears here and don't understand the confrontational turn here - and yes, I'm looking to improve!

*About the MC status: I figured I'd try to steer clear of any 'conflict of interest' before saying anything, as it seemed to ruffle your feathers in regard to Mr. William's transparency! ;) Maybe you should do the same!
Russ

Re: I'd love to hear your real life coaching stories

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
v76

Post by v76 »

And what am I supposed to learn from the fact that she finished number one...? That you're a good coach and that I should enroll in your academy? Snap! It's still about you! :) Page full of testimonials but not a lot of 'right knowledge'.

Definitely still interested by an answer to my first inquiry... what was your first assessment of her and what were your recommendations?
Russ

Posted: May 19, 2008

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
v76

Post by v76 »

Ha! I really don't mind self-promotion when it's done right. It's obviously not the case here.

P.S. You still haven't answered the question but at this point, I'll call it a day, I think you just don't want to understand or share that 'right knowledge'.

I'll share some of your knowledge for others:
Russ wrote:I know lot of guys who achieved BS in coaching and never work as coaches …and I know one good man who didn’t have any coaching experience before, no previous skills or knowledge in pistol shooting but great wisdom and he lead his student to 1996 Gold Olympic Medal in Atlanta in Women’s AP.
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
JoeG

Whew.....

Post by JoeG »

I just read the whole thread, exhausting.......
ruig

Post by ruig »

I know few Olympic champions and well known coaches personally, and they are very very modest people comparing to USAS champion from Michigan.
BEA

Not sure

Post by BEA »

Dear JoeG and ruig,

Amen!
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Re: Not sure

Post by Russ »

BEA wrote:Dear JoeG and ruig,

Amen!
:))))
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I'm new here, and only about 3 months into 10metre air pistol (actually 8metre with scaled targets for now, as I lack a 10metre space at home and don't yet have other options), and suppose this is as good a place as any to introduce myself by posting thoughts...

My impression of Russ is of someone rather self-absorbed, even obsessed, with his skill as a shooter. That's well and good. I'm pretty good at what I do professionally, and some day might find time away from serving my clients to teach someone younger the elements of my trade as a violinmaker. For comparison, when I have posted in forums related to my profession, my contributions have always been purely informative. That is to say I see a question, think about it, then write something which may help to resolve the musician's problem if it seems my knowledge is sufficient. If the question has been insufficiently clear, I ask for more detail, then consider that and perhaps offer further advice. This seems to be the norm in public forums in many specialties. I have moderated a forum for Pocket PC/Windows Mobile users for about a decade now, and have answered thousands of questions there and in many related forums, as I am also very adept in the technical uses of these devices. I have never charged a penny for these services. I have contributed in these forums and elsewhere as I do with my own clients when they seek advice; freely and thoroughly, for the benefit of all. We are all enriched by such gifts of time and expertise. I expect no great credit, no thanks even. Education and understanding is my goal.

What Russ seems to be doing in this discussion bears no discernible relation to such gestures. I have carefully read this thread and all his comments, and can find not one trace of usable information within them. He has presented a condescending lecture, apparently with the primary aim of promoting exclusivity and elitism. And there's nothing wrong with being an elite competitor, of course! But why the heavy handed (and rather vague) lecturing?

Russ; you main concern seems to be that shooters should not waste money on expensive pistols with an eye towards improving their performance. Do you worry that these people will buy up all the nice pistols, leaving not enough for the 'real athletes?' Actually it works just the opposite: the bigger the user base for a given item, the likelier that item will continue to be produced. So no worries there, correct?

Next you seem gravely concerned that people are misguided, and for the most part not sufficiently dedicated to the highest calling of the sport, Olympic shooting. Is this intended as a slight against the nature of the Olympic Pistol forum itself, an attack suggesting that it is not pure enough? Perhaps you might consider starting and hosting your own, independent Olympic Pistol forum if this is the case, one where you as the host could quietly eliminate members who showed tendencies to talk too much about hardware...

I don't know you. I have not yet read many your threads and comments in others' threads here, but do not doubt your desire to communicate from the few I just looked at. The bit about buying 'Zepter' cookware sets to improve health has me rather confused... I should think that something a bit more substantial, such as promoting a healthy diet (vegetarianism anyone?) might prove more useful to would-be competitive athletes. But in any case, it seems to me that the already much-acknowledged self-promoting nature of this particular thread makes for but one rational possibility; shut it down. You are digging yourself a hole my friend. Statements about the 'kind of language' used in your state and other blatantly nonsensical and insulting diatribes serve no one's interests, especially not your own, as they make you seem ridiculous. Your shooting curriculum vitae (and yes, they have those in Michigan, and they call them that too) is admirable. I'd suggest that comporting yourself socially in a manner up to that same standard might serve you better, and by extension those you hope to instruct, whether for free in a forum or for a fee in your school.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

bebloomster wrote:What ??? You just lost me completely with that one.
He means that the best tool a shooter has to train with is his shooting diary.
It does not have to be a moleskine (and actually, the Leuchtturm 1917 is superior anyway ;) ). It doesn't have to be a notebook in the bound-book-of-blank-pages sense, mine was an A4 filofax for years. These days it doesn't even have to be paper - I keep my current diary mostly in a blog ( http://guns.ie ). The important point is that you record what you do, what your setup is, and how changes work for you (positive or negative), and that you review it regularly.