Loading the Steyr LP-10

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Antoni Scott

Loading the Steyr LP-10

Post by Antoni Scott »

I presently have a Steyr LP-2. I am considering an LP-10 because of the recoil absorber. The LP-2 is superbly accurate and I shoot it better than my FWB P-34 which also has an absorber. Both the LP-2, Morini and the P-34 have the same ease of loading. All you do is place a pellet on the ramp and close the bolt. The LP-10 requires manually feeding the pellet into the barrel and looks awkward. Has anyone had a problem with loading the LP-10 ?

Antoni Scott
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Loading the LP10 may seem a little awkward to start with but you very soon get used to feeding the pellet.
gn303

Loading the Steyr LP-10

Post by gn303 »

Being able to spot the pellet in the barrel is sometimes considered as an advantage, in case you lose track in a match. E.g. after having interrupted the the aim a few times. Just watch out not to crush a pellet in the little gap under the bore entrance! It is a mess to get it out.
If you like to shoot another Steyr, ok go for it. If it is only with the aim to shoot higher scores than with your LP2, I can only wish you the best of luck!
Guy
peterz

Post by peterz »

I have had the occasional "misfire" when I think that I've gotten the pellet into the breech only to find out the hard way -- louder 'pop' on firing and no hole in the target -- that the thing fell out. This is shooter error and in no real way a problem with the pistol. I'm just a klutz.

But it is easier to do when you have to fit the pellet into the breech instead of just laying it in the channel and closing the bolt.

That said, I would not go back to my old FWB C-20!
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Like with all things, when you get used to doing it---it works. Yes I also like the way the Morini and Feinwerbau's load as well, I've owned a Morini and presently use an LP10, which I seem to prefer. I like the ability to hand seat the pellet as one can occasionally drop the pellet on the tray backwards----funny sound when firing and the pellet deosn't go where it was supposed to go---I'ts a crap shoot about which I wouldn't worry, as long as you don't have long lapses of memory when loading. "Doc"
Popeye

Loading LP-10

Post by Popeye »

I had the same problem when I started using an LP-10. The method I got used to, given there is only a small space behind the barrel loading port, is to pick up/squeeze a pellet between thumb and index finger, and load over the top of the barrel, and use the nail of the index finger to ensure back of pellet is pushed in flush before closing the bolt.

Seems to work well, and avoids the problem of the lack of space when trying to load a pellet directly from behind.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I help run an introductory air pistol shoot at my club every summer. I'm not familiar with the LP10, but it sounds similar to inserting pellets into the bores of Tau-7's. 95% of people have no problem, but some have very fat fingers, and some of the women have really long nails. IF they can pick the pellets up, they can't get them in the bore. I have one or two people every year for whom I have to load the pistol.

Some pistols DO just take a little more dexterity than others. As long as you are reasonably close to the norm in terms of finger size & dexterity, it shouldn't be a big deal. I have a Morini, and I've managed to load a pellet backwards once or twice. Mine actually seems to shoot pretty accurately that way.
Antoni Scott

Loading the Steyr LP-10

Post by Antoni Scott »

Thanks for the info. I know the LP-10 is better than the LP-2, but how much better is the real question. The LP-2 is a dream to load. I can't see myself fumbling to load the LP-10.

I suppose I should ask if anybody has seen any significant or worthwhile differences between the LP-2 and the LP-10 ? They are both equally as accurate ( probably shot out of a test stand). It is how it shoots in the hands of a shooter that really counts.

Thanks for the input.

Antoni
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

Have you considered the Steyr LP-50? I've found it to be just as accurate as my LP-10. Real easy to load too... just put 5 in the magazine, insert it into the pistol and you're ready to go.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

bebloomster wrote:Have you considered the Steyr LP-50? I've found it to be just as accurate as my LP-10.
Few people would claim that the LP50 mechanical trigger is anywhere near as good as the LP10 one. The electronic version is a different matter.
bebloomster wrote:Real easy to load too... just put 5 in the magazine, insert it into the pistol and you're ready to go.
But don't try doing that in a match run under ISSF rules (other than the specific Five Shot matches) where you can only load one pellet.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I've never had a problem loading the LP10 in all the years I've had and shot one. It is also impossible to accidentally load two pellets, something that is easy to do in guns where you drop a pellet onto the ramp.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:It is also impossible to accidentally load two pellets, something that is easy to do in guns where you drop a pellet onto the ramp.
Part of my shooting kit is a knitting needle for use if I ever do that on my Morini. I never have, yet, but know plenty who have.

The needle's twin is part of my range officer kit.
jipe

Post by jipe »

RobStubbs wrote:I've never had a problem loading the LP10 in all the years I've had and shot one. It is also impossible to accidentally load two pellets, something that is easy to do in guns where you drop a pellet onto the ramp.

Rob.
+1: the LP10 loading is different from most other pistols so people used to other pistols think it is difficult to use but it is not the case at all and the possibility to check if there is a pellet loaded or not is a major benefit (do not forget that a shot without pellet and gaz release during a match is counted as a zero !).
peterz

Post by peterz »

the possibility to check if there is a pellet loaded or not is a major benefit
True, but the chance of dropping the pellet and not knowing it is also high, a major problem. You have to build a quick check for the pellet into your shot routine to get any benefit from being able to see the skirt in the breech.
I suppose I should ask if anybody has seen any significant or worthwhile differences between the LP-2 and the LP-10 ?
My old C-20 is probably a bit like the LP-2 in that it lacks the recoil absorber. I can certainly tell the difference, and I'm still a beginner.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

That is part of the normal shot loading routine along with checking that the air seal is firmly in its seat every time.
jipe

Post by jipe »

peterz wrote:
the possibility to check if there is a pellet loaded or not is a major benefit
True, but the chance of dropping the pellet and not knowing it is also high, a major problem.
Once loaded, the pellet never dropped out of the chamber (at least with a normal shot process, if you shake your pistol, it will may be drop out).

What pellet size and type are you using ?
peterz

Post by peterz »

I must not have been clear. It dropped out while I was trying to push it into the breech. It never entered the chamber.

I was/am clumsy.
donthc

Post by donthc »

well, i must say that it is much easier to load guns such as the lp2, since all you have to do is to drop a pellet into the grove, in the correct orientation, den push it in.

but for all its "inconveniences", the lp1/lp10 loading system is, to me, more useful, since you can only load 1 pellet at a time, and in the correct orientation. (since you will find that it is much harder to fit in a pellet bottomside-first.) There were many a times when i forget to load in any pellets, and times when i load in 2 pellets, especially after aborting a shot.

It should feel increasingly normal as you get used to it.
peterz

Post by peterz »

but for all its "inconveniences", the lp1/lp10 loading system is, to me, more useful, since you can only load 1 pellet at a time, and in the correct orientation. (since you will find that it is much harder to fit in a pellet bottomside-first.)
Oh, I agree.
hiermax

Post by hiermax »

I fully agree, too.
I got used to fumble in the pellet within a few days of shooting. I´ve also had a Morini which is quite different and, I confess also easier to load. But I doubled the loading very often, mostly during a competition. And this incident never ever happened to me when using the Steyr.
Now I am very quick in loading the gun. As time goes by a certain (individual) routine lets you handle the gun just by nature. And you´ll never ever think about "how to load ...".
Best regards
Max