Insurance

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

caveman

Insurance

Post by caveman »

I am starting a youth air 3 position (NRA/CMP rules) program at a local club. The club asked that I get an additional insurance policy for this program. The “test program” will consist of 10 Thursday evening meeting of two to three hours that will be indoors with air rifles only. We hope to have average 9 participants per evening and there will be 3 NRA certified instructors conducting the program. Getting this of the ground will be coming out of my pocket so I’m looking for a good rate. Any suggestions?
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Contact NRA. They'll refer you to a specialized insurance company.
RizzoRogan

Post by RizzoRogan »

You should also contact your local 4-H extension agent. They may already have a shooting sports program and if not would like for someone to start one. Their insurance coverage would be hard to beat as far as cost is concerned. I may be wrong but I'm quite certain ours is about a dollar per child in the program and we have about 40 in our program.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Ditto on Rizzo's comment.

Check with your county agent on a 4-H program. From a volunteer perspective, they always need more folks to help.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

NRA Affiliated Club Insurance, see http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/clubs.htm
caveman

Post by caveman »

Thank You for responding!
As far as 4-H I have bin working with a local club but many of the kids are in boy/girl scouts and don't want to commit to another organazational obligation. The 4-H club is also so full that we don't get enough range time as it is. What is happening is the new kid get all the attention and the ones that want to move into compeating don't get the suport from us leaders (I'm not the oganizational leader) do to the limmited range time. I intend to continue to work with the 4-H club but the range is also 25 miles from my house, the sportsmans club that is willing to let us use their range is 5 mile from me and 2 miles from my fellow instructor and closer for all the kids that live in the lowwer part of the county.
caveman

Post by caveman »

GOVTMODEL

I see you are from Rhode Island, there was some clubs at the Canp Pery Open in January from your neck of the woods but I can't remember the names, were you out there with any of then?

I will check with the NRA hopefully I willn't have to buy the standard package they offer on line.

Thanks again.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

caveman,

Is your senior club a "shooting" club? If so coverage is most likely already there. Also, be careful in getting an additional policy that the "named insured" (usually the club) is not the same as your sponsoring organization. If the name is the same it could lead to long delays in claims payments, as the two companies could argue that the other policy is primary. Check with a professional insurance agent who deals in "commercial" insurance (not life and health, or home and auto) after you get a "specimen" policy from the company you intend to use. Make sure to contact that company if it is the same company the sponsoring club uses, as some companies will not issue dual policies.

Also, consider having a "contract style" agreement including a "hold harmless" clause for each participant (or parent if kids are under 18) to sign.

(I retired from the insurance business after 33 years)
caveman

Post by caveman »

Pat
Looks like this is going to get complicated but I may have got a stroke of luck. I was telling my instuctor/partner about this and it turns out that the insurance provider for the sportsman club was the mayor when my buddy was on city council and is his friend and personal insurance agent. Sometime it's better to be lucky than smart. BTW The advice you have given me sounds spot on with what I've heard so far, thank you.