FWB 700 Junior rearsights

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

skylark

FWB 700 Junior rearsights

Post by skylark »

My daughter has an FWB 700 Junior and it had a Gamo rearsight whose aperture now wobbles visibly. Not good.

Anyway, I cheerfully told her we had plenty of spare rearsights at home and she could take her pick. Unfortunately they won't fit! The track is very wide - the Walther sight won't go on at all. Nor will one of the Anschutz ones (the cheaper old-style one).

The more expensive old-style Anschutz one fits on the rail, but the knurled knobs foul the compensator which it has fitted. Similarly for my old-style Gehmann rearsight.

Anschutz sight raiser block won't go on at all - too narrow.

We have two rearsights in the house which fit. Another Gamo (goes on easily, but she really needs something better, and in any case it doesn't actually belong to us) and my husband's beloved new-style Gehmann (which just barely goes on).

Anyone have any insights or recommendations? We'll probably be ordering something online and would like to be sure it'll fit on the rail! It's also going to not have to have the large protruding knobs which some have because of the compensator.

I had honestly thought that all top target rifles had compatible sight mounting rails these days...
Buckeye

FWB Rearsight

Post by Buckeye »

Have Eric make a compatible riser:

http://shop.uptagrafftllc.com/Sight-Riser-Blocks_c2.htm

Greg
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

out of curiosity
Did the FWB come without a rear sight?

You should be able to find a FWB rear sight.
Although I think the pix that I've seen of a 700 has a rear sight with a built in riser.
skylark

Post by skylark »

It came with a Gamo rearsight (the one which just died), but we bought it at least thirdhand.

The pictures of new FWB 700s I've seen have a rearsight I don't recognise - do FWB make their own rearsights, and if so are they any good? Bit worried about buying something which a previous user replaced with a Gamo...

I can't find any reference to people selling them separately, though I've found a fair few comments online where people refer to 'FWB rearsights'.

Sight raisers may be the way to go, though they'd need to be very thin as she doesn't actually need her sights raising :)
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

Unlike most Anschutz which are sold without sights, FWB rifles are sold with FWB sights. The standard FWB sight should fit the rail. Not sure about the compensator issue. I'll have to look at some of our clubs rifles.
I suspect a previous owner of your rifle may have had a problem with the FWB sight and replaced it with a Gamo which is likely a lot less expensive.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Or (negative thought here) one of the prior sellers saved the expensive FWB sight for himself or to sell separately, and sold the rifle w the cheaper Gamo sight.

The FWB page shows this as the 700-junior
http://www.feinwerkbau.de/ceasy/modules ... PageId=147
The Junior does not have the sights with the built in adjustable risers of the 700-AL.
http://www.feinwerkbau.de/ceasy/modules ... PageId=142
It looks just like the sight that came with my P70-Jr.

So negative thinking again, what size insert does the front sight use.
If I remember correctly, the FWB uses a 22mm insert.
I think the Gamo sight uses a 16mm insert.
I sure hope you have the FWB front sight, or I would be real suspicious that a prior seller did a complete sight swap.

Since she has an EXCELLENT rifle my options are
#1 - Get a FWB sight and be pretty certain that it will fit w/o problem, or
#2 - Get one of the major 3rd party sights. Specify FWB when you order the sight to get the model for the FWB rail. But then you still have to worry about interference with the compensator or other part of the rifle.

If she does not need to raise the sights, I would not use risers (personal opinion). Although she can compensate for the risers by raising the cheekpiece.
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

Same rear sight on both fwb's. Junior does not have riser blocks. Not sure if front sight is the same, but, we have both types so I can check.
skylark

Post by skylark »

It's a 22mm FWB foresight exactly like the one in the picture.

It's possible that a previous owner swapped the rearsight out, but it seems a bit odd. I literally cannot find anyone selling them in the UK, not new, not secondhand, nothing, they are simply not on the radar...and why swap out the rearsight and not the foresight? I suppose they could have loved it so much they wanted it on their replacement...

If they did they did, I paid a very reasonable price for the gun and would have paid it even if it had had no rearsight :) Now I just need to figure out what to best replace it with. A cheaper Gehmann's looking like a good option.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Since you are in Europe, I would guess that you can get it direct from FWB in Germany.

I have seen a few pop up for sale in the US by people buying a FWB match rifle and mounting a scope on it. At that point the sight is surplus to their needs.
timinder

Post by timinder »

There's a FWB sight on eBay at the moment - I guess that might fit?
It's item number: 260744940835
Disclaimer:
Nothing to do with me, I just happened to see it the other day whilst searching for something else!
jsealc21

Post by jsealc21 »

look on Egun.de...usually a few there
skylark

Post by skylark »

Thanks guys! I thought I was going nuts not spotting the ebay one until I realised it wasn't listed as a rearsight :)
skylark

Post by skylark »

Just to round this all off...

We tried for the ebay one, but it rapidly went over what I was prepared to pay for a secondhand one which looked a bit battered.

In the end we bought her a new Gehmann Compact from Edinkillie. Looks to be a very nice piece of kit - well engineered and just generally confidence-inspiring :) Decent price compared with all the others, and it's a universal fitting so if and when she moves to a full size rifle we can swap it over.

Many thanks for all the advice :)