2011 NCAA Rifle Championships Teams Announced

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

PaulB

2011 NCAA Rifle Championships Teams Announced

Post by PaulB »

Team Qualifiers (Smallbore Three-Position and Air Rifle)
Match to be at Ft. Benning / Columbus State Univ. March 11-2

Alaska-Fairbanks
Kentucky
Jacksonville State
Murray State
Texas Christian
U.S. Military Academy
U.S. Naval Academy
West Virginia
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

(Paul .... where do you find this?)
Anywhere to find the individuals?
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

Google NCAA rifle championship and you will find it. Individuals will be announced later this week once all the qualifying teams send in those in their team that will be shooting in the match. Because in some cases there are teams that shoot as a team and also have some Individuals shoot because they have qualified.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

information came from

http://www.ncaa.com/news/rifle/2011-02- ... ncaa-field

Individuals will be announced on Thursday 2/24
Abi

Post by Abi »

Still waiting to hear about the NRA Intercollegiate Club Championship invitations as well. :-D
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Just talked to Tori at the NRA. They are working hard to tabulate all the sectional results.
PCU

Post by PCU »

All NCAA Rifle Championship qualifiers (team & individual) now posted at:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/rifle/2011-02- ... ifle-field
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

PaulB wrote:Just talked to Tori at the NRA. They are working hard to tabulate all the sectional results.
The PTB at NRA really should allow Tori and the others to move into the modern era and allow the submission of electronic spreadsheets or the like for results. The cards should go by the wayside.

Intercollegiate Nationals for Pistol is scheduled for less than three weeks from now. makes it tough for the shooters to raise funding, get out of class, get make decent travel plans, etc.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I will make this recommendation (by JH Martin, above) when the NRA Collegiate Programs Committee meets later this year, or earlier if possible.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Does anyone have a "final" list of the invites to the Pistol & Rifle Intercollegiate Club Championships?
Ted

Post by Ted »

Congrats to UK and their coach Harry Mullins for finally gettting a championship. Way to go cats!!!!!
parentoftwoshooters

NCAA Championships

Post by parentoftwoshooters »

Congrats to UK for winning Ncaa's.

I think they should open up the field to bring in more shooters to experience the NCAA's. There are a bunch of good shooters that may have had a so so day during sections and others that went that had a really good day during sectionals. Everyone who went is deserving, just think they should open the field up for more to shoot.

What are your thoughts on this ?
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Currently, to host the championships, you are required to have at least 16 points smallbore and air so the championships can be run in 3 relays, 48 total people.

This is the March Madness bracket/BCS vs Playoff debate for our sport. If numbers were the reason to expand the field of individuals, I'd be open to the possibility. However, having a bad day on Sectionals day I feel is a very poor reason to change the rules. Reward someone who cannot perform when they need to?

I understand, though, that the lack of performance at sectionals is the reason for the team score change, another change I don't agree with.

The idea of individual invites to NCAAs is to reward shooters who shoot top 50 scores in the country who's teams do not qualify. While I don't feel one person should carry a team to qualify for NCAAs, I do feel that if a shooter would like to attend something that takes an entire team to qualify for, it's not much to ask to shoot well on one day if you are truely worthy. By the numbers, individual invites are far more coveted than All American which is based on one's season average.