Is it a collector or a shooter???

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

MilspecShooter

Is it a collector or a shooter???

Post by MilspecShooter »

I recently purchased a 1911A1 with the intent of having her made into a Wadgun, but I'm wondering if that is advisable or does it have collector value, i.e.: historical heritage that I shouldn't disturb.

SN: 8671XX, Ithaca frame based on FJ (no A) below slide release. "P" proof mark below mag release. "5" on left front trigger guard???
What's interesting about it is the Colt NM barrel and bushing as well as Colt slide, adjustable rear target sight and high blade front sight. It does have stippling to the front strap and wood grips. Bushing to barrel and slide to frame fit is impressively tight, as well as having a "short roll trigger". I believe this was previously used for hardball/ EIC shooting due to the heavy spring and trigger pull.

I would need to get it smoothed out a bit to feed SWC rounds and change some other parts and mount a rail for a red dot. I just don't want to do this and then find out it was some Special Army Marksmanship version that's really rare. I'm a shooter, not a collector; so my knowledge on rarity, and lineage or not is severely lacking.
Any comments would be appreciated.
SIE107

Post by SIE107 »

I would leave it like it is.. and get you a Caspian frame and slide and build it up. But then that is just me.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Don't touch it. That could be the original slide as production in 1943 was made with lots of outside parts. If there is a P on both the frame and slide then the slide is original and worth quite a few bucks. Too bad about the stippling but this might be worth $1600.00. Google Ithaca production and variants.
Chris
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

I forgot, Your gun is one of the first thousand or two to come off the Ithaca production line. The slides were recycled WWI Colt 1911A1 manufacture. Some receivers were early war Colt production. Your gun should have FJA inspector mark and a P in front of the rear sight and a matching P on the frame. I just found more info, too much to print. Have it checked out.
MilspecShooter

Post by MilspecShooter »

Levergun59 wrote:I forgot, Your gun is one of the first thousand or two to come off the Ithaca production line. The slides were recycled WWI Colt 1911A1 manufacture. Some receivers were early war Colt production. Your gun should have FJA inspector mark and a P in front of the rear sight and a matching P on the frame. I just found more info, too much to print. Have it checked out.
It has all the marks you mention, but the doesn't the fact that it has a NM barrel and bushing as with target sights ruin any chance of it having value as a collection piece.
What I was hoping was that someone on the forum would know if this was modified by the military for service competition or if some avid bullseye shooter did this before there was any consideration of it having value. Like all the 1903's that were sporterized in the 50's and 60's.

I would rather get rid of it and try again. I have too many safe queens as it is.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

No, if the barrel and bushing have serial#s on them or there is a NM7790313 stamp on the gun, it might be a US armory conversion for Camp Perry. The front strap would be stippled with an Eliason or Micro rear sight. If not, it's just a shooter but you could find the original parts to convert it to it's original configuration. In any case it's a cool 1911.
Chris