What kind of scope for shooting outdoor small bore prone?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Scott

What kind of scope for shooting outdoor small bore prone?

Post by Scott »

What kind of shooting scope (on the rifle) do you recommend for outdoor small bore prone shooting?

Thanks for your comments in advance.
Last edited by Scott on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobStubbs

Re: What kind of scope for shooting outdoor small bore prone

Post by RobStubbs »

Scott wrote:What kind of scope do you recommend for outdoor small bore prone shooting?

Do you mean a spotting scope, or do you mean what shooting scope on the rifle ? And at the same time, what distances are you shooting at ?

Rob.
Roadthing

Post by Roadthing »

Scott wrote:What kind of scope do you recommend for outdoor small bore prone shooting?

\

You will see more Leupold EFR 6x20x40 than almost anything else. Good scope. You can get them used for about $500 and new I think they are all the way up to $700 or so. If your talking about a rifle scope. If spotting scope any good quality 24 power will do but Kowa is the brand you will see most.

RobStubbs, in NRA competition half the prone matches are Irons only and then the other half is any sight.

Doug
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Roadthing wrote: RobStubbs, in NRA competition half the prone matches are Irons only and then the other half is any sight.

Doug
We have the same rules in the UK, but scope to me (UK) normally means spotting scope, telescopic sight would be the thing you have on the gun - hence the clarification request.

You will also need far better optics if you're shooting 100Y+ than you will for 50M.

Rob.
mobarron

Post by mobarron »

Leupold and Weaver are excellent internal adjustment scopes. The advantage of Leupold whether new or used is that their warranty is for the life of the company. I have never had an internal adjustment scope that didn't need repair at some point so Leupold's warranty is a real plus. Mike Barron
rstriano

scopes

Post by rstriano »

I had a Leupold and switched to a Trijicon 5-20 x 50 and i can tell you that the green dot is just amazing and the clarity is crystal clear. I am shooting in my first competition march 13 and while i always shoot open sights this match allows scope so i toook it off my winchester 52 and put it on my old anschutz so let's see.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

I'm using a Leupold 25x fixed power scope now and wouldn't go back to a variable power unless ordered to. I've been very pleased with this scope.

Eric U
.22-5-40

Post by .22-5-40 »

I wonder how my Lyman Targetspot 12X or a very nice Malcome 6X would do?...These were recommended by CC Johnson & Pope.
corning

Post by corning »

When I shoot with a scope, I mount a 20 power 2 inch Unertl on my gun. It is a tad on the heavy side, but has tremendous light gathering ability, and, even after 30 years, is still very clear.

John
Jason

Post by Jason »

What is everyone using for a reticle and/or dot?

Jason
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

1/10 minute target dot.

Eric U
corning

Post by corning »

1/8 minute dot, fine cross hairs.

John
RLSS

Post by RLSS »

36X Leupold Fine crosshair, so you can hold on the "corner" of the x-ring.

Any power less than about 20 is not enough to spot your shots w/o a spotting scope. Many shooters hold off anywhere from 1/2 to a full minute rather than touch the knobs

RLSS
Leo

Post by Leo »

I'm using my former silhoutte scope 6.5x20 EFR with "1/2" dot -- less strain, cover and touch... indoor has worked very well... 2' of snow between me and the outdoor test... :)
Jason

Post by Jason »

Eric U wrote:1/10 minute target dot.
Eric,

Did you order this custom from Leupold or is it an older model?

Jason
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

Leo wrote:I'm using my former silhoutte scope 6.5x20 EFR with "1/2" dot -- less strain, cover and touch... indoor has worked very well... 2' of snow between me and the outdoor test... :)
Where did you get a 1/2" dot? Don't see that option anywhere for that model.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

The Leupold I shoot is sold as a silhouette model that has either a 3/8 or 1/2 minute dot. I had the Leupold custom shop put in the 1/10 min dot. I wanted a 1/8 min but they didn't have one in stock for almost 6 months. The guy I was dealing with finally said they did have the 1/10 min one. I love it so far, but scope isn't my main thing.

Eric U
Leo

Post by Leo »

I had ordered the dot from the custom shop -- scope was the purchased 3 years ago -- "chicken geoge" on steelchickens.com offers great service. I understand the dot I "big" so far, so good... but if Eric is shooting 1/8 or 1/10 then you have to follow success... works for me - very little eye strain. "place and forget" (wind... not that's another issue) :)
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

The one issue with the leupold 25x is that I don't think it will focus down close. So if you might want to shoot scope at 50' that would not be possible. The Weaver T24 that I had would focus to 50'.
Ray Odle

Post by Ray Odle »

An above poster mentioned a Lyman 12X. Years back a friend loaned me one. I had no trouble seeing bullet holes at 100 yd.
Once again years back I was buying a surveyors instrument for long range(1/2 mile radius). The salesman tried to education me on the importance of lens quality, not power. I wish I could remember the term he used for lens quality.
I use the same power setting from 50 foot to 100 yd. Is this commond with the rest of you?