colored filter for non aiming eye?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Joe350

colored filter for non aiming eye?

Post by Joe350 »

I’ve been shooting for several years with both eyes opened using occluder. Then a month ago I took it off. I will not go back to use a shield, because my vision has improved (and my scores), the sight picture is clearer when I look with both eyes.
We have AP competitions in range with not the best light and I’m thinking about trying some colored filters to add contrast.
My question : do you use filter for both eyes or only for dominant one? I would appreciate any comments about your own experience.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Interesting. Was your occluder translucent or completely opaque? I ask because if your non-aiming eye was not receiving as much light as your aiming eye, its pupil would dilate and this would cause the aiming eye's pupil to dilate also. I'm sure you know that the eye's optical performance is worse with a wide-open pupil.

The ideal 'occluder' is translucent, and gives the non-aiming eye a bright but fuzzy, useless image, like frosted glass would.
Robert K.

Post by Robert K. »

when I was actively competing in trap I went through a spell where I would get vision crossover. I used a darker tint on my weak eye and it was enough where crossover was eliminated. I don't know if this is applicable to what your asking. I would think to use the lighter for our dominant eye.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

We are aiming to keep light to both eyes as even as possible hence the translucent blinder. I'd therefore be inclined to have the same colour for both eyes to keep the light levels and colour perception equal.

Rob.
A74BEDLM

Post by A74BEDLM »

You'll find the multi lens - multi coloured shotgun glasses cheap and cheerful if you want to experiment with different colours.