Rapid fire

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jer

Rapid fire

Post by jer »

I am learning rapid fire shooting and reading about it. Everyone says that horizontal movement should come from hips - not from arm. Should the movement come from hips and legs? I have tried if it is possible to keep hips steady and have the rotation in lower back but it feels to be impossible. Moving hips needs some movement in legs also - does anyone understand what I mean?

Is there any good books about rapid fire shooting?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'm not sure what exactly it should be, but I think they are saying move the body trunk and not the arm. I sort of twist both shoulders and hips, but just try twisting without moving your arm at the shoulder and see how that feels.

Rob.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

The only book that gets into RF shooting is Yur Yev's (old) book "Competitive Shooting", which has been out of print for a while now. And my answer is yes---the body should pivot at the waist as you go through the individual targets (right to left) for righties. It's fun practising for this event and watch out for muscle strains. It maybe available at some old book sellers for a price. "Doc"
Spencer

Re: Rapid fire

Post by Spencer »

jer wrote:I am learning rapid fire shooting and reading about it. Everyone says that horizontal movement should come from hips - not from arm. Should the movement come from hips and legs? I have tried if it is possible to keep hips steady and have the rotation in lower back but it feels to be impossible. Moving hips needs some movement in legs also - does anyone understand what I mean?

Is there any good books about rapid fire shooting?
Back in the 'good old days' we were taught that for RFP the rotation should come from the ankles, with the arm, head, shoulders, torso and hips moving as a fixed unit: these days some RFP coaches are less concerned about rotation from the ankles but all agree that the arm, head, shoulders and upper torso must move as a fixed unit.

The amount of rotation is really quite small as the traverse is only 3m across at 25m for all five targets (3.75m when carrying through to an imagined 6th target for dry fire to keep the procedure for the 5th shot consistent)
Given that for a moderately fit and flexible geriatric the available rotation is at least 90 degrees, the 7 degrees required to traverse 5 targets is not asking much.

Take a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... rjU0vHhefg
Bob-Riegl

Dave Levene----Question for the Maestro (Mavin?)

Post by Bob-Riegl »

This is a call for Dave Levene----What is the time interval for the new RF finals. I just watched the you tube posted, and I was riveted to my seat---wow!!! IMHO I think the ISSF has finally come up with a thrilling method of running the RF Finals. "Doc"
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Look at those old Russian RF film, if you understand Russian great, otherwise just enjoy the legendary coach's hand instruction.

http://toz35.blogspot.com/
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Bob, it's still 4 seconds. 124mm hit zone. Just why they picked that is beyond me. It would be a PITA to run with paper targets.

Personally, I'm OK with hit/miss scoring, but would be more inclined to use one tempo - four seconds - and tighten the hit zones. 8 ring...then 9 ring...then 10 ring.
lastman

Post by lastman »

Rapid fire is really one of those things where its all about feel.

Although the old cliche "What works for one may not work for another" has been wheeled out quite a few time around here... it is more true for RFP.

I do agree that the movement should come from the waist, it's not too strenuous on the body as the movement is so small.

However if you look at Schuman when he was at his best he had developed a technique where his arm and hips moved together. It was quite unique 10 years ago, but there's a fair few doing it now.

There is a lot of trail and error involved in RF. You have to develop your own rhythm and ability to know exactly how long 4,6 and 8 seconds are.

The only thing I can suggest is to trail and error.

If say you have one leg longer than the other (a lot of people do) then turing from the hips may not work so well for you because your turning from a crooked base.

Yur'Yev's book describes turning from the ankles. I think this is a good spot to start. If that doesn't work for you then start to modify it until is does.

Good luck.
David Levene

Re: Dave Levene----Question for the Maestro (Mavin?)

Post by David Levene »

Bob-Riegl wrote:This is a call for Dave Levene----What is the time interval for the new RF finals. I just watched the you tube posted, and I was riveted to my seat---wow!!! IMHO I think the ISSF has finally come up with a thrilling method of running the RF Finals. "Doc"
I presume you're talking about the interval between shooters Bob. The following is the procedure (extracted from the latest Finals Rules):-

One (1) minute after the command “LOAD”, the Chief Range
Officer will call the name of the first competitor by stating
“(FAMILY NAME OF SHOOTER #1)”. After the competitor’s
name is announced, he may put the magazine in his pistol
and prepare to fire.
15 seconds after calling the name of the first competitor, the
Chief Range Officer will command “ATTENTION” and turn
the red lights on. The first competitor must bring his pistol to
the Ready Position (Rule 8.6.1). The green lights will come
on after a delay of seven (7) seconds. After the 4-second
firing period, the red lights will come on for 10-14 seconds
(recycling time of the targets). During this 10-14 second
period, the Announcer will report the score for that series
(e.g., “FOUR HITS”).
Immediately after the first competitor’s score is announced
and the EST Technical Officer signals that the targets are
ready, the red lights will go off. As soon as the red lights go
off, the Chief Range Officer will announce “(FAMILY NAME
OF SHOOTER #2)”. 15 seconds later, the command
“ATTENTION” will be given and the timing procedure for that
series will proceed. After that series, the Announcer will
report the score.
The other competitors will continue to fire in order until all
competitors remaining in the competition have fired that
series.
There will be a 30-second pause after all shooters complete
one (1) series. During this pause, the Announcer will
comment on the current ranking of the competitors, the best
scores, competitors who were eliminated, etc.
For the second series, the Chief Range Officer will announce
“(FAMILY NAME OF SHOOTER #1)” and continue.
Crete

Very interesting RF tutorial vid on YouTube (in Russian)

Post by Crete »

With Russian commentary but the visuals help get the point, clearly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrVcN6Id ... ploademail
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

I couldn't help but notice the shooters from Poland and Spain were the only ones shooting an MG2. All the rest looked like Pardinis. I know Larry's Guns carries the Pardinis's, but can't seem to find a source for the MG's, here in the States. Anybody have a clue?

Thanks, Paul
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Neil Stepp would be your source.---"Doc"
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Thanks Doc. Spoke to Neil, and he said he would order one for me, if I wanted, but he wasn't satisfied with their present level of reliability, is this a problem?

Paul