Weird trigger on Mod 2 - what could be the cause?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Kee

Weird trigger on Mod 2 - what could be the cause?

Post by Kee »

Hi!

I currently shoot a Feinwerkbau Mod 2. I started with it in around mid 2009. By the end of that year it developed a problem that emerges on and off since then, despite of various repairs and adjustments being tried. (No solution lasted more than 3 months.)

The trigger seems to be inconsistent. Often pulling it it feels like I push against a wall with my finger - it stops moving. If I jerk it, the shot goes off. If I put it down and move around the lever, it gets unstuck after a while.

Some people thought it was a problem with the second stage being too heavy. But after changing that, another problem came up: sometimes, when I touch the trigger (touch, not even pull) a shot goes off.

Quite recently we brought it to repair again. They said the whole trigger mechanism was replaced. But the problem still persists, and it is a major mindfuck!

The question is...is it even a trigger problem? Or something else? (Cylinder???) I have tried other guns and I didn't feel like this, so it probably isn't me doing something horribly wrong. (Or is it?)
Crete

Read the instructions carefully

Post by Crete »

Some time ago a friend asked me if I could fix a Benelli trigger to shoot like a FWB Mod.2. Well, I had never touched mine, so I was no expert, but just for the sake of it sat down and read carefully the original manual with all the instructions as to how the trigger is adjusted on the Mod.2. I never touched mine or the Benelli's, but one little detail was stuck in my mind ever since. It is there somewhere in the manual and I only quote from memory: "Before adjusting the trigger, unscrew #5 (I think)...After the trigger is adjusted, tighten screw #5"...or whichever screw is found below the velocity one on top of the grip. You may wish to check this and see if it helps.
Fjodor

Re: Weird trigger on Mod 2 - what could be the cause?

Post by Fjodor »

[quote="Kee"]
The trigger seems to be inconsistent. Often pulling it it feels like I push against a wall with my finger - it stops moving. If I jerk it, the shot goes off.

another problem came up: sometimes, when I touch the trigger (touch, not even pull) a shot goes off.
[/quote]
Two scenarios come to my mind. I have an old FWB" myself, manufactured in 1982. It has seen extended use! (Trigger worn).

1. releasing edge of sear is worn (rounded and/or chipped). Remedy: increase sear overlap. Makes the trigger release force more consistent, but less crisp.

2. Triggerstop is at present adjusted too close (or have been so for an extended period of time, hence a small "step" has formed in the surface of the sear). May in part be remedied by retracting triggerstop.
yana

Post by yana »

Try to find out the factory triggersetting. Either ask FWB or another FWB owner. Check the adjustments of his pistol. Start from there.
May very well be the triggerstop.
Crete

FWB Mod.2 Manual

Post by Crete »

Please find the Mod.2 manual in this LINK: http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/fwbmodel2manual.pdf
Kee

Post by Kee »

Thanks for the input everyone!

I am not allowed to modify the pistols's setting myself (club rules), but I have brought up the ideas in training. Coach wanted to check it himself first, so he shot with it for a while. He said that he did not feel anything being wrong, and that I may be inconsistent with my finger placement on the trigger. From then on I paid extra attention to that, did not feel that I was deviating.

Could it be that while the finger placement is consistent, I am applying pressure inconsistently? I have to reach forward to be able to position my finger correctly, because the trigger cannot be brought further back without problems.
Crete

Post by Crete »

This helps me: try to imagine that your index finger is tied with a thin and fragile (silk or spider's web), string attached from the finger all the way to the target's X ring (center). The object is to stretch the "string" straight BACK in order to create a straight line between your shooting finger and the target's 10th ring (or any other point you may choose to "attach" the imaginary string to), and do it in a way that will not break the fragile thread by pulling it abruptly.

This is a tip I heard from a Russian shooter and it helps me a lot when my mind wanders during a match.