Anschutz Rifle Recommendation for Newbie

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

gxsr-sarge

Anschutz Rifle Recommendation for Newbie

Post by gxsr-sarge »

Hello, TT forum newbie here...

I'm interested in competing in NRA Smallbore Prone with my local club. I have a fairly long history of competitive pistol and rifle shooting (currently involved in NRA High Power Rifle) but haven't shot smallbore competitively since I was 12. While I would start with prone, I'd like to have the option of ocassionaly shooting NRA Sillhouette with the club as well. We don't shoot 3P in our club.

I'm looking at acquiring my first rifle and, of course, would like to go with an Anschutz. However, I'm kind of perplexed with the myriad of models, options, accessories and sights. Assuming that budget is not an issue, what is a good rifle and sight system that I can start and grow with. I'm thinking either the 1907 or 1913 with the Anschutz unversal sight set?

Of course I'll be asking club members for their opinions as well. But I value any of your comments and suggestions!

Thanks in advance
Tim S

Re: Anschutz Rifle Recommendation for Newbie

Post by Tim S »

gxsr-sarge wrote:Hello, TT forum newbie here...

I'm interested in competing in NRA Smallbore Prone with my local club. I have a fairly long history of competitive pistol and rifle shooting (currently involved in NRA High Power Rifle) but haven't shot smallbore competitively since I was 12. While I would start with prone, I'd like to have the option of ocassionaly shooting NRA Sillhouette with the club as well. We don't shoot 3P in our club.

I'm looking at acquiring my first rifle and, of course, would like to go with an Anschutz. However, I'm kind of perplexed with the myriad of models, options, accessories and sights. Assuming that budget is not an issue, what is a good rifle and sight system that I can start and grow with. I'm thinking either the 1907 or 1913 with the Anschutz unversal sight set?

Of course I'll be asking club members for their opinions as well. But I value any of your comments and suggestions!

Thanks in advance
An Anschutz would be a very good choice for prone shooting.

However before recommending a model, a little more information would be useful. Are you male, or female? How large are you? There is a reason behind this, I'm not being nosy.

Both the 1907 and 1913 use the same Match 54 action, but the 1907 has a 26in barrel, and the 1913 has a heavier 27.2in barrel. The 1913 barrel is about 1lb heavier than the 1907. As a complete rifle the 1907 would not be my first chocie for prone; the stock design is a basic 3-P style with its roots in the old UIT Standard class. The fore-end is quite deep, which helps standing, but is less desirable for prone. The 1913 on the other hand is an excellent prone rifle, although you may need help to adjust the stock to fit. The down side of the 1913 is weight; in the wooden thumbhole stock it weighs 14lb+, which is too heavy for many women and some skinny men. If you are a tall/strong adult man, the 1913 would be a very good choice.

However there are other choices than the ordinary 1907 and 1913. If you like aluminium stocks, you can have either the 1907 or 1913 barrel in the new 1918 "Precise stock". It's an all singing all dancing, alu job. Those folks that have them seem to be very impressed by the build quality and range of adjustment. The fore-end is much slimmer than the 1913 (about 3/4-1in less material between hand and barrel), which can be good for prone, and it's rounded so it won't squash you hand it you don't cant (unlike my System Gemini).

If you don't like metal, but want a lighter rifle than the wood-stocked 1913, you might look at the 1912. This is the lighter 1907 barrel in a walnut thumbhole stock, that's almost identical to (but a bit smaller/lighter) than the 1913.

Tim S
gxsr-sarge

Post by gxsr-sarge »

Tim,

Very good questions: I'm 47, male and 5'11" and about 200# (-ish). My Service Rifle AR15 for High Power weighs close to 15#. We use this rifle in prone, sitting and offhand. Accordingly, the 14# of a 1913 wouldn't necessarily bother me.

I appreciate your feedback on the 1907/1913. While I plan to shoot primarily prone, would be practical to use the 1913 for Sillhouette?
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I have the 9003 in the precise stock. If I bought another Anschutz, I would get the precise option, if money was not an issue. I guess a used 1907 would be 50% of the cost of a new precise 1907. At 3000 USD, the precise is hard to budget for most folks.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

gxsr-sarge wrote:Tim,

Very good questions: I'm 47, male and 5'11" and about 200# (-ish). My Service Rifle AR15 for High Power weighs close to 15#. We use this rifle in prone, sitting and offhand. Accordingly, the 14# of a 1913 wouldn't necessarily bother me.

I appreciate your feedback on the 1907/1913. While I plan to shoot primarily prone, would be practical to use the 1913 for Sillhouette?
5' 11" and 200lb, I'd chose the 1913 barrel in whichever stock takes your fancy. The tubegun stocks might be an option as the ergonomics look similar to the AR15.

As an alternative you could look for a used 1913, or its predecessor the 1813. An 1813 would have less adjustment in the stock than a new alu job (as would an older 1913 depending on the exact age), but still enough for prone shooting at most levels. Fit a custom barrel if needed, and away you go.

I can't claim to be totally au fait with US-NRA Silhouette rules, but I'm fairly sure there is a weight limit, and size restrictions that a 1913 would fall foul of.
gxsr-sarge

Post by gxsr-sarge »

Tim,

Thanks again for your input!
Globesmasher17

Post by Globesmasher17 »

I just returned to small bore shooting after a 30 year lay off.
You and I are the same age and about the same size - I'm a touch hair smaller.
Like yourself I went back to Anschutz from my previous experience with the brand and fond memories of it.
I picked up a 1907 and shoot prone only - too old and bad knees for 3P.

In hindsight I wish I had gone for the heavier barrel 1913.

I would recommend the 1913 action & barrel in whatever type of stock you prefer - wood or aluminum. The 2013 simply has a beefier action/barrel version of the 1913, so that may also be an option.

I think the 1907 would be very good for 3P shooting, but for prone-only I would recommend the heavier 1913 version.

The type of stock you prefer is another question altogether as the 1913 and the 1907 are available from Anschutz in both wood and alu precise.

Welcome to smallbore shooting -I hope you find it fun to be back.

Of note: try the 1907 and if (like me) you find it too light, then you can always add a heavier barrel (Lilja for example) which is something I am currently pricing out right now. It's for this reason I wish I had gone with the 1913 as it was only about $300 difference between the 1907 and 1913. The after market adding of a Lilja barrel will be a lot more ...... :(
gxsr-sarge

Post by gxsr-sarge »

I appreciate your response and frankness.

I'm a believer in "Buy Once, Cry Once". But I don't like to go overboard either. Everything seems to point to the 1913 for prone. Fitting into the rifle is also interesting as well.

Thanks again
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Make sure you check the rules (NRA) for smallbore silhouette ... some things to watch:

1) The heaviest smallbore silhouette rifle can only be 10lbs-2oz with scope, etc
2) No thumbhole stocks allowed
3) Stock fore end cannot be more than 2" from bore centerline

If you want a rifle for both, you'll probably have to go with a "sporter" style stock

A good silhouette site is SteelChickens.com. They have a great set of Forums there ... especially good for the smallbore version of the game.
The great silhouette stockmakers hang out there ...
gxsr-sarge

Post by gxsr-sarge »

Thanks for that clarification. I guess the beefier 1913 wouldn't meet the rules.

I've gathered that there's no such thing as a great smallbore rifle for all needs. So I'm going to have to make a decision as to discipline and go with that gun. I'm leaning towards prone. Maybe the club will let me shoot Silhouette with them "unofficially" to get a taste of it. If I like it, well, then I may have to get a second Anschutz (poor me :)).
Jason

Post by Jason »

You could also just get a silhouette stock and swap the action back and forth. If you went this route you'd be better off with the 1907 as it should make weight, whereas a 1913 barreled action would be too heavy.

Jason
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

jhmartin wrote:Make sure you check the rules (NRA) for smallbore silhouette ... some things to watch:

1) The heaviest smallbore silhouette rifle can only be 10lbs-2oz with scope, etc
2) No thumbhole stocks allowed
3) Stock fore end cannot be more than 2" from bore centerline

If you want a rifle for both, you'll probably have to go with a "sporter" style stock

A good silhouette site is SteelChickens.com. They have a great set of Forums there ... especially good for the smallbore version of the game.
The great silhouette stockmakers hang out there ...
Thumbhole stocks are OK for the heavy class, they are not legal in the sporter class. I guess the most popular 10 pound gun is the 54MSR in the 1808 thumbhole stock. A 1907 stock would not make the rules, but it would allow you to see if you like the sport or guys at the match. Generally everyone welcomes new shooters, and they look beyond the equipment for a new guy. If you like it, you could probably get a legal McMillian stock for the 1907 action down the road.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

I think you need 2 rifles because of the weight restrictions on a sporter.

For the prone gun a 18,19,20 13 is way over kill. And is probably not good enough out of the box.

My 2cents worth... uh I mean $2,000 worth is to build a custom prone gun. Start with an action. My preference is a Winchester 52 b or c but any of Rem 37 Win 52 or any Anschutz 54 will do. Find out who is doing the best barrel work and get him to install the best barrel. An Anschutz or Kenyon trigger will do.

For a stock, Alec Sitman at Master Class Stocks makes the best. No need for 1000 adjustments on a 1813. If you are only shooting prone you dont need them. The stock is made to fit you perfectly everywhere. You only pull it out of the case and lay down and shoot X's .

At the end you have a beautiful gun that drives nails and you also have a $grand in your pocket to buy ammo with. And it won't go far.
oddsonjjf

Anschutz 54

Post by oddsonjjf »

ok - so am i correct in stating that the Anschutz 54 acation and barrel is still being produced alla the 1900 & 2000 series 3position guns?????
Barney

Post by Barney »

All round actions (with exception to the 1403 - 1903 which are 64) are 54 match style actions. The 2000 series action is square