Prone Q

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BGC

Prone Q

Post by BGC »

Hi
I shoot prone only. At my home range, I reach pretty good results, scoring 595+. Now, the problem is that my Sius target on that range is a bit lower than other ranges. So when I compete at other places, I often find that my sights and aim are lower than the target, and I can'n really find a natural position.

To avoid this problem, I'm going to raise "my" target so I can practise at the correct height. But then I also have to adjust me and my rifle to aim higher. What would you say is the most "safe" way to do this, without jeopardize my results? I´m choosing between; raise my sights ; raise the buttplate ; move my handstop back. Or perhaps a little bit (1/3) of everything? All three will have some kind of influence in my position or recoil.
I have tried just to raise my buttplate just 1/2 inch, but that didn't turn out well, I scored really low and was all over the target.

Any suggestions are welcome :)
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

My 2¢ would be:

if you're happy with the shoulder/head, buttplate/cheekpiece/rearsight relationship and the way the rifle recoils - bring the handstop back and shorten the sling in small increments. This should bring the fore-end up onto the target.

I bet you'll end up raising the buttplate a touch too, but then you may have to get some sight raising blocks and bring up the cheekpiece to get a relaxed head position.

K.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Before changing any thing, try "scootching" your hips back (away from the target). That may give you all you need.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

I just change buttplate height to adjust for different ranges. Even for pretty extreme target height changes, the amount you need to move the buttplate is pretty minimal. That leaves everything else in your position the same.

Eric U
BGC

Post by BGC »

Thanks all, good input.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I agree with Eric, a small change in butt plate will be the easiest change and is far simpler than messing about with handstop and sling length etc.

Rob.
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

Personally I find very small tweaks of buttplate height to work best. Have been known to tweak handstop and sling length as well though if the change is big, so I don't really alter the feeling of my head on the cheekpiece much. Suits me.
BGC

Post by BGC »

OK, perhaps I raised the buttplate to much when I was all over the target?

Eric - how much do do you have to raise/lower the buttplate at 'extreme' ranges?

This was my scenario:
Practise at my home range: Day 1: 599/42*. Day 2: 596/37*

The competition day 3: 591/31*. No changes made.
The competition day 4: 581/25* - after raising my buttplate 1/2 inch.

I felt that on day 4, I got more (to much) contact between buttplate and collar bone. I guess that was a part of my poor recoil (and result).

I will try to 'tilt down" the buttplate next practise, in order to get the same contact as I'm used to. The angle just wasn't right.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

I don't move my buttplate more than about 1/4" from one extreme to the other.

Eric U
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

For the perceptually impaired, which direction does what? To raise position on target, do you raise or lower the butt plate relative to the stock?

DL
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

If the support hand is the fulcrum,
raising the buttplate will also raise the muzzle - as the buttplate goes up, the back end of the rifle goes down, the front goes up. Rilfe points higher.
And vise-versa.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

BTW - photo's of you in position (from the side) would be a help.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

BGC wrote:The competition day 3: 591/31*. No changes made.
The competition day 4: 581/25* - after raising my buttplate 1/2 inch.

I felt that on day 4, I got more (to much) contact between buttplate and collar bone. I guess that was a part of my poor recoil (and result).

I will try to 'tilt down" the buttplate next practise, in order to get the same contact as I'm used to. The angle just wasn't right.
I'm a little confused. You said initially that your NPA was off and yet you shot 591. You then adjusted it (a lot) and it was worse. My question is at what point(s) did you check your NPA ? You must have checked your position after that big change - did it point in the right place ?

It ceratinly seems that a 1/2 inch change is a lot and would make the rifle point much higher.

The simple answer is that you need to put your own target in the right place and then set yourself up on it. It will do you no favours shooting at the wrong height, if you then have to change for every competiton - you're hardly training for the competions. Get the height right then forget about it for the vast majority of ranges.

Rob.
BGC

Post by BGC »

Rob
You are so right, I should have figured that out before I even started the match. The NPA was low, yes, so I simply pushed the left arm forward just a little bit (before my 591), and tightened the sling a little, and that was enough to get the NPA pretty close to the centre. Still, it was not a good solution... Just didn't think of the buttplate in the "heat", I guess I have to be more cool in the prep. phase from now on.

All you say is good stuff, and on my next practise event I will adjust both the target, my buttplate.. and my mind :)