22 rifle to be used by my daughter (eight years old) HELP

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

travisimel

22 rifle to be used by my daughter (eight years old) HELP

Post by travisimel »

I’m looking to obtain a 22 rifle to be used by my daughter (eight years old) in NRA Jr as well as 4H shooting.
I was thinking of getting a Savage Mark I and having the barrel cut, crowned & front site reinstalled on an approved “smaller” stock with Anschutz type rail section.

Do you know who can do this?
Is this what she needs?
Or am I going down the wrong road?

Travis
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Anschutz 1451. You can find them used for $500. It will outshoot other rifles of similar size, you can use the same sights on a bigger gun when she gets there, and the rail is already installed. Also, if you find a version that accepts a magazine, she can shoot CMP rimfire sporter matches too.
Quest1

Re: 22 rifle to be used by my daughter (eight years old) HEL

Post by Quest1 »

travisimel wrote:I’m looking to obtain a 22 rifle to be used by my daughter (eight years old) in NRA Jr as well as 4H shooting.
I was thinking of getting a Savage Mark I and having the barrel cut, crowned & front site reinstalled on an approved “smaller” stock with Anschutz type rail section.

Do you know who can do this?
Is this what she needs?
Or am I going down the wrong road?

Travis
I would try MT Guns and ask for a 1407 Anschutz Action and if you need to (without no size of your daughter) you can have them modify a stock and the barrel length to accommodate your daughters size. Your if you have a trusted gunsmith he can do the modifications. Their are a couple of aluminum stocks that are coming on the market that are adjustable down to a 8" LOP, but the price of those stocks are going to be starting at $700 and more.
jhmorrisn

youth rifle

Post by jhmorrisn »

For an eight year old, I started my son when he was an eight year old out on a BB gun and his daughter several years later on the same Daisy Jaycee BB gun.

It's not so much of the grandeur of shooting a .22 with real ammunition a couple of time a month, it's going down to the basement several time a week and shooting off hand at 15 or 16.5 feet.

Teaching sight picture / sight alinement and the repetition of doing repeatedly it is key.

Now with the Daisy 499, a single shot muzzle loader, it's the way to start them off.

Jim
supercomp9

Post by supercomp9 »

I started both of my kids on the Cricket model rifles.
daughter did great her first year with hers
son has not yet been able to compete, he will start next year.
main thing is remember that they be able to hold the rifle with little effort
then work them up to a heavier rifle if you are looking for the more
target style.

just my thoughts..
J.Kee
Jmorrisn

youth rifle

Post by Jmorrisn »

I agree that the .22 cricket is an excellent starter rifle along with several others.

If you have access to a smallbore facility so much the better. For me, there was not and still not a shooting facility close by.

Therefore, a bb gun in the basement was the way to go.
Raymond Odle

Post by Raymond Odle »

Having a club with BB through 22s, I support staying a few years on a BB gun (Daisy 499). The Cricket is a fun little gun for plinking, but maybe not the best for position shooting. A kid will out grow a Cricket fast.
We have had kids want to shoot sporter air rifle before they are able to support the rifle. We let them try, then let them go back to BB with the younger ones where they enjoy being with there peer group.
I know many want to get the kid to shoot a firearm early, but I advise patience and good coaching.
There is no disadvantage learning to shoot 4 positions while using a sling with a BB gun.
jhmorrisn

air rifles

Post by jhmorrisn »

Here is my opinion.
Start the younger kids out on BB guns. Primarily from the standing position. Mix a little position in to have something different.

As they progress and be a bit more mature move them up to either air rifle or .22's

Now if you elect to go the Air Gun route and use daisy 853, Stick with standing. Again, mix in some position now and them.

If your club elects to go .22, that great.

But what ever way, have a 853 that you can shoot with at home.

If your are interested in a used 499, I think I can spare one,
travisimel

1941 Winchester mod 75

Post by travisimel »

She has been using the clubs cut down 1941 Winchester mod 75 for the past few months with great success. She is almost out of prone to sitting. We have more Micro tiny shooters than guns.
We have our own range at home so it makes sense to own our own.
I should receive her new rifle today! Here is what we put together; We started with a CZ 452 Scout. The stock was shortened to 10.5” LOP and Installed front and rear Lyman aperture sights as well as a Fore End Rail machined into the stock for Hand Stop and Swivel. I’m really excited to see it. I will upload photos from shooting tonight. (if it comes in!)
Attachments
1941 Winchester mod 75
1941 Winchester mod 75
jhmorrisn

youth shooting

Post by jhmorrisn »

There is an old saying, that teaching new shoots to shoot standing first is the way to go.

The feeling is that everything you learn to shoot standing, carries down to the other positions.

But not necessarily the other way around.
jhmartin

Re: youth shooting

Post by jhmartin »

jhmorrisn wrote:There is an old saying, that teaching new shoots to shoot standing first is the way to go.

The feeling is that everything you learn to shoot standing, carries down to the other positions.

But not necessarily the other way around.
I agree with that when you have older kids (13-14+) that are stronger & more coordinated, but when I start out 9-12 year olds, they learn prone, kneeling and finally standing. The fine motor skills just are not there at that age (generally) and I want them to experience immediate success in the supported positions and be excited about the sport .... else you risk them not able to hit a scoring ring, get dejected and quit. If they quit whatever they learn is then lost.
The smaller kids are extrinsically motivated, so the bangles and baubles are important too. (We use the USAS 4-H passport program ... the NRA program is good too .... something they can pin on their jackets or shooting bags)

Pistol is doing this with their PPP program for the very reason to get them into the black quickly
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

I agree with starting with offhand, but not for the reason given.

Starting with offhand, and staying there a short time, then moving to kneeling, the sitting, then prone, allows the shooter to see immediate improvement with each change in position.

They see themselves "getting better". The beginning of your "mental training" program.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Pat McCoy wrote:I agree with starting with offhand, but not for the reason given.

Starting with offhand, and staying there a short time, then moving to kneeling, the sitting, then prone, allows the shooter to see immediate improvement with each change in position.

They see themselves "getting better". The beginning of your "mental training" program.
OK Pat ... I'll buy that ... have to try that with one of my newer shooters ... have a new 9 year old that's a bit big for his age ... I'll think out of the box here.
pzoba

Re: 1941 Winchester mod 75

Post by pzoba »

travisimel wrote:She has been using the clubs cut down 1941 Winchester mod 75 for the past few months with great success. She is almost out of prone to sitting. We have more Micro tiny shooters than guns.
We have our own range at home so it makes sense to own our own.
I should receive her new rifle today! Here is what we put together; We started with a CZ 452 Scout. The stock was shortened to 10.5” LOP and Installed front and rear Lyman aperture sights as well as a Fore End Rail machined into the stock for Hand Stop and Swivel. I’m really excited to see it. I will upload photos from shooting tonight. (if it comes in!)

Travis: This sounds really good. We have a CZ 452 that we shoot for Silhouette and plinking. I put a Leupold scope on it for my son. Sorry you had to go through the expense of all that modification though. My son is shooting in 4H and 4 position NRA for qualification. He's 12 and is in his 3rd year of shooting. He has achieved his Expert now and is beginning his Distinguished Expert. It sounds like the same program you are doing. My daughter also did this for 7 years and earned her DE Rifle.

Here's what we used for rifles...
IZH CMP-2 Cadet. This is an inexpensive rifle ~$350 that comes with good adjustable target sights, cleaning gear, hand stop, sling, apertures, etc. We replaced the hand stop and sling from CSS but had to modify slightly to fit the rail.

This gun took both kids through Expert. When my daughter completed Expert she switched to an Anschutz Model 64 with a cut down stock. My 12 year old son still thinks the Ans is too big and so is continuing with the IZH. I expect he'll make DE with this gun which is a testament to the gun.

I think the CZ will work beatifully for you but that was a lot of modification and I imagine it was costly. Support those kids shooting!

- Paul
richwagner

Starting rifle

Post by richwagner »

Choice of starter rifle depends a lot on what you plan on doing with it. If you want to teach the kid position shooting, you want something you can attach a sling to and has peep sights. I have a CM-2 Cadet for my son when he's ready (only 4 1/2 now so not starting yet). I work with a Jr. Rifle program at my local club where the club has old Mossberg’s and Remington’s. The kids who have tried the CM-2 love it. We start the kids using a rest in the prone position because it's stable. With Offhand being so unstable for new shooters many kids would get discouraged so we start them from the most stable. The NRA Qualification program for 4P starts with prone, then goes to sitting, kneeling & offhand. If you are starting your child at home, a BB gun or air rifle is always a great choice. Just make sure you force the use of eye protection for the BB & Air guns at home.
Attachments
My son's CM-2 Cadet, great little nail driver
My son's CM-2 Cadet, great little nail driver
CM_2_Cadet.jpg (52.77 KiB) Viewed 9123 times
pzoba

Post by pzoba »

Rich,

Sounds like you are ready for your son when he gets bigger.

So, yes, I agree with your starting suggestions too. My son used up a Crosman 760 pump in the back yard shooting targets, silhouettes and cans. I insisted on pellets rather than BB's as they ricochet far less. Always wore eye protection. I had him shoot the CZ Scout at the range with iron sights off a rest at 100 yards and he would shoot out the black with 100 rounds fired. When he turned 10, we started shooting an NRA 4 position qualification program. He was strong and so this rifle was the right size for him. Some 10 year olds find it heavy.

Now at 12, in his third year with the IZH, he's earned his Expert and has begun shooting air rifle too. He is beginning to shoot local sectional matches and is having great fun. I believe this is a great starter rifle.

I think you will want some accessories. We replaced the handstop and sling quickly and got the Deluxe handstop from Champion Shooters Supply with a nice leather sling. This year we bought him a Palm rest for offhand and that has gone well. Both needed some work with a file to fit the IZH rail. I often think we should have gotten out a router early and replaced the non standard rail with an Anschutz rail. We have also recently found that not all IZH rails are the same. They have changed dimensions in the last few years. Another reason to go to the router...?
birdwatcher

Post by birdwatcher »

im sorta wondering the same thing i currently shoot a annie and have 2 cz 452's with brno sites on them but my daughter is reaching shooting age and my son isnt far behind. i plan to buy a 54 action annie or a FWB for my self and my 64 action annie could go to the kids but maybe its to big. i like the looks of those IZMASH kadet rifles perhaps it would be a good starter for the kids. it seems many on here regard them highly for youth shooters. also eyeing the cz200t for training at home. and considerd the cz scout as well as my 2 cz's are far to long for a youth shooter.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Another option for the CZs, although pricey, is an adjustable stock from PDC Custom.

http://pdccustom.com/
birdwatcher

Post by birdwatcher »

im curiouse to see that cz you have done for your daughter if its finnished
l-adkin1

Post by l-adkin1 »

if she shoots 4-h the hooded sight on the cricket and some of the others will put her in target class shooting aginst peep sights so if you do sport class open sights no hoods