TOZ grip screw problems

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
RandomShotz

TOZ grip screw problems

Post by RandomShotz »

I have recently acquired a TOZ 35M that is apparently in excellent mechanical shape. The original grips looked untouched but a previous owner had mucked about with the mounting screws. They were shortened excessively and ground to a point and the reduced engagement resulted in stripping the threads on the screws and at least one of the tapped holes in the frame. Three of the screws are M3 and one is M4 and the head style, as in most gun screws, is oval head with a very narrow slot.

So my questions are these: I can replace the screws with filister head screws, but they will not seat properly in the shaped washers inletted into the stock. If I enlarge the stripped hole to accommodate an M4 screw, I where can I get a replacement washer? Also, if I replace one of the screws with a larger one, will I have problems if I decide to buy aftermarket grips? I've very nearly gotten the original grips to fit me properly, but I may spring for Rink grips depending on what my tax refund looks like.

And as long as I'm asking questions, why do all gun makers use these thin-slotted oval headed screws? I used to work on guns a bit and found that the heads are easy to burr and finding replacements in any size is a real pain. Parts suppliers usually supply screws as a set for a particular gun but if the model I'm working with is old or obscure I'm just out of luck.

Roger
Greg Derr

TOZ screw

Post by Greg Derr »

I use a M3 allen head and turn down the head diameter a tad to fit in the grip hole. They work fine.