Front sight toward right, grip adjustment

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

When I close my eye for ten seconds, then open them, my front sight is consistently a little to the right.

What minor adjustment (shaving, adding) to the grip do I need to get the front sight aligned?

I want to work on the middle finger front, middle finger base ridge, and the pre-ridge groove part only.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Thank you.

But it does not make it clear what do I have to do to make front sight move toward left.
gn303

Post by gn303 »

A document originally publish by the West Australian Pistol Association could be of some help (www.wapa.asn.au/), but it seems to have disappeared from their pages. It is too big to attach, so I will sent it to you in a pm.
Cheers,
Guy
paw080

Re: Front sight toward right, grip adjustment

Post by paw080 »

seamaster wrote:When I close my eye for ten seconds, then open them, my front sight is consistently a little to the right.

What minor adjustment (shaving, adding) to the grip do I need to get the front sight aligned?

I want to work on the middle finger front, middle finger base ridge, and the pre-ridge groove part only.
Hi Sea, this just a wild guess, but it seems to me that your mind is changing
dominance to your left eye. The solution is to change your stance and or
adjust your pistol's grip to give a bit of rotation.

If you really are prorgramed for cross dominance, you should occlude your
right eye with an opaque blinder. Try it, and let us know how things work
out for you. What I'm getting at, is that it may be best to go with your
natural proclivity for cross dominance. Cross dominance is not a detriment
to successful shooting, no matter what many coaches preach.

Tony
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

gn303 wrote:A document originally publish by the West Australian Pistol Association could be of some help (www.wapa.asn.au/), but it seems to have disappeared from their pages. It is too big to attach, so I will sent it to you in a pm.
Cheers,
Guy
This sounds really useful. I'd love to get a copy as well. I wonder if we could get Pilkguns to add it to their files.
renzo

Post by renzo »

seamaster wrote:When I close my eye for ten seconds, then open them, my front sight is consistently a little to the right.

Seamaster:

Normally, in your situation, one should carefully ADD material to the portion of the grip that falls under the crevice that divides the palm of your hand from your fingers.

Try to imagine your hand gripping the pistol as viewed from above: the vertical centerline of the grip passes through the "hole" left by your hand when you close it enough to secure the pistol.

By adding or removing material what we try to achieve is to ROTATE the grip (and consequently, the longitudinal axis of the pistol) in your hand, so making it "bulkier" at the front and right will cause it to drift the front sight lo the left, IF YOU'RE A RIGHT-HAND SHOOTER.

If you're a leftie, the shift intended should be the exact opposite.

best regards
tronozac

Post by tronozac »

Gwhite wrote: This sounds really useful. I'd love to get a copy as well. I wonder if we could get Pilkguns to add it to their files.
Here is the document: http://web.inet.ba/trip0d/Trigger_Grip.pdf

Cheers
gn303

Grip adjustments

Post by gn303 »

Thank you for putting the PDF document on the net.
Digging a little deeper in my archives I found another document, that I'm sure comes from the Internet as well. I'm sorry not to be able to link to the owner. If someone recognizes it, please publish the rightful source.
This document however describes quite exactly how to proceed, step by step. It also underlines that no matter how good the grip it is still the shooter who must do the job. The grip can only help.
Enjoy reading.
Guy
Attachments
PistolGrip.pdf
(248.28 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
lastman

Post by lastman »

In my humble opinion this is not a grip related issue.

This comes down to kinesthetic awareness (being aware of your body and its movements)

When you are closing your eyes something is changing in your stance, grip, hold or just your body in general.

You can train this aspect by doing a simple exercise. Simply place your pistol on the card (as per a normal shot) align the sights in your aiming area and then close your eyes for say a 5 count. Record where the sights are on the card and repeat.

The goal is to continue working on this until the sights do not move much at all for the 5 seconds, then you can increase to 10, 15 and 20.

I would work on this long before I'd start modifying the grip (especially if you are happy with the grip) as that may impact on other aspects of your holding.

Good luck
Fred Mannis

Re: Grip adjustments

Post by Fred Mannis »

gn303 wrote:Thank you for putting the PDF document on the net.
Digging a little deeper in my archives I found another document, that I'm sure comes from the Internet as well. I'm sorry not to be able to link to the owner. If someone recognizes it, please publish the rightful source.
This document however describes quite exactly how to proceed, step by step. It also underlines that no matter how good the grip it is still the shooter who must do the job. The grip can only help.
Enjoy reading.
Guy
I believe the author is Darryl Szarenski
gn303

Grip modifications

Post by gn303 »

The advice from 'lastman': training your stance and hold is certainly valuable and a very good point to start. I'm repeating that exercise all the time! And indeed consider carefully where the drift comes from.
However 'seaman' signals that his front sight is shifting out of alignment!
In my opinion that means that at the start with the eyes open, the hold is not natural. By closing the eyes the visual control drops, hence the muscles move to a natural position.
David Levene

Re: Grip modifications

Post by David Levene »

gn303 wrote:In my opinion that means that at the start with the eyes open, the hold is not natural. By closing the eyes the visual control drops, hence the muscles move to a natural position.
I would agree with that.