Fullbore? Smallbore?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

adds033

Fullbore? Smallbore?

Post by adds033 »

No its Mediumbore!!
Not sure if this will be of interest to any, or the right place to post, but here goes. I have shot just as much prone fullbore as smallbore. I would have to say that fullbore was my favorite until we lost our fullbore range approx. 10 yrs ago. Then i turned to smallbore, while enjoying this quite a lot, i did miss my beloved hobby of reloading. So i have come up with "mediumbore". My idea is to shoot my Omark .308 using a cast bullet at subsonic velocity, 50m range, ISSF target, prone position. I think this will be great fun! I can shoot my favorite match while enjoying a great hobby too! Not to mention the cost savings of reloads compared to match .22LR ammo these days! I can reload my .308 for less than half the price of Eley match! There would also be an advantage of the bigger projectile dia. when it comes to inward gauging!! Lol!
Just my way of combining hobby and sport, if anyone else is silly enough to shoot it alongside me!
Any ideas/thoughts????
ADDS033
.22-5-40

Post by .22-5-40 »

Hello, adds033. You will have lots of company if you care to join
The Cast Bullet Association (CBA) I have been a member for years. There are many kinds of postal matches, as well as shoulder to shoulder. Anything there is to know about cast-bullet shooting, you will find it here!
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

We shot Fullbore a lot years ago and loved it, then we lost our range. And, coincidence we had Australian Sporto rifles in .308W which I think is the same as your Omark, stocked in smallbore Walther copy stocks.
I used to load "soft" loads for my wife to use in the standing postion and I'm sure they would be great for your proposed event. Hope you get it started, we would love to do it but could not here in the UK due to range restrictions, it would be fun.
Good shooting
Robin