Best equipment for ISSF / Olympic events ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bostonviewer

Best equipment for ISSF / Olympic events ?

Post by bostonviewer »

My apologies to dig up an what is surely an ancient chestnut, but this is for an elderly friend who is motivated enough to invest in a coach and build a range.

Which are the absolute best pistols / revolvers / air rifles for -
• 10m Air Pistol
• 10m Air Rifle
• 25m Centrefire Pistol
• 25m Rimfire Pistol
• 50m Rimfire Pistol

Ofcourse he knows about the Steyr / Morini / Walther / Pardini / Feinwerkbau / Anschutz brands. His question is which models are currently more popular with ISSF world championship / Olympic shooters (men and women). I tried searching for equipment list, but was unable to locate. Your opinions on the best, or even a link to equipment lists for the last few championships would be very much appreciated.
peterz

Post by peterz »

At the summit, Steyr advertises that the reigning Olympic and World Champions shoot Steyr LP-10 and LP10-E air pistols (men's & women's champs). I have no idea whether that means Steyr supplies the guns at a major discount, whether the athletes all think Steyr guns shoot better, or whether Steyr has a supporting presence at all major matches in case something goes wrong.

I can say I'm delighted with my LP-10, but that shouldn't mean anything as I'm about a 490/600 shooter.
mizzat

Post by mizzat »

I only started shooting Air pistol seven weeks ago so I'm no expert. I did take delivery of a Steyr LP10E last weekend. My choicec was based on recommendations by several senior club members localy as well as the perceived excellent back up service offered by the UK main dealer. So far I am delighted with my choice.
randy1952

Re: Best equipment for ISSF / Olympic events ?

Post by randy1952 »

bostonviewer wrote:My apologies to dig up an what is surely an ancient chestnut, but this is for an elderly friend who is motivated enough to invest in a coach and build a range.

Which are the absolute best pistols / revolvers / air rifles for -
• 10m Air Pistol
• 10m Air Rifle
• 25m Centrefire Pistol
• 25m Rimfire Pistol
• 50m Rimfire Pistol

Ofcourse he knows about the Steyr / Morini / Walther / Pardini / Feinwerkbau / Anschutz brands. His question is which models are currently more popular with ISSF world championship / Olympic shooters (men and women). I tried searching for equipment list, but was unable to locate. Your opinions on the best, or even a link to equipment lists for the last few championships would be very much appreciated.
Which are the absolute best pistols / revolvers / air rifles for - The absolute best is a personnel thing, so the ones mentioned below is what I have seen on the ranges the most.

• 10m Air Pistol - Steyr LP10s
• 10m Air Rifle - Anschutz 8002s and 9003s, Walther LG 300s, and FWB P700s
• 25m Centrefire Pistol -
• 25m Rimfire Pistol - Pardini SP, Morini, & FWB 93s
• 50m Rimfire Pistol - TOZ, Hammerli's, Pardini, Morni
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

If this gentleman is willing to invest in a coach, why doesn't he ask him? The coach is on the scene and can take into account the man's physical characteristics (grip, posture, etc.) as well as his proficiency and experience. Maybe the best recommendation would be to start with something that is not right at the top of the Olympic medalists' lists - perhaps something more forgiving or in some other way appropriate to the man's current ability and training needs. Since all of the top line equipment is highly customizable, the popularity of a particular model may be largely a function of sponsorship, as peterz pointed out.

Of course, if it was a question that I personally had to deal with, I would probably just buy a bunch of the top line shooters, keep the ones I want and sell the rest to the Targettalk forum members at a steep discount. ;-)

Roger
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Allow me to suggest reviewing viewtopic.php?t=26911&start=0&postdays= ... highlight=

Short form:
AP: Tossup between LP10 and Morini CM162, but the P44 is closing fast
FP: Morini CM84
RF: Pardini SP...for the moment. It's unsettled
WSP: Grab bag. FWB has an edge
SP: Another grab bag, Pardini leads the pack
CF: Pardini.

Your mileage WILL vary.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

our best equipment is our training. each shooter has different needs.

for me what works best is
ap: baikal izh-46 (even though i shoot an lp10 the izzy gave me the best results)
fp: toz-35
sp-rf :matchguns mg2
i wont vote for cf because i havent shot anything else than a walher gsp.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Short answer - What works best for him.

Work out if he likes:

Vertical/raked grip.

Crisp/rolloff trigger

Forward centre gravity/Rearward centre of gravity

Then start looking at specific pistols.
lastman

Post by lastman »

Sorry if this sounds offensive, but this really is a bit of a silly question.

The only investment that really needs to be made is that of time and effort. Shooters at the top level can shoot better with a cap gun than most everyone else with the best equipment in the world.

If your friend is talking about building a range, he can clearly get any pistol he wants. At the top level their all pretty much equal, just each model has slight differences that some people like or don't.

Get him to try out a few different models and try them out, feel what works for him. Then buy.

After than the only real investment that needs to be made is lots and lots of time and effort.

Good luck
AK Pistol

Post by AK Pistol »

I have always been told to buy the best equipment you can afford and then don't look back but train as if what you have is the best in the world.

I am getting interested in AP and noticed at the WAG championship that the top shooters were shooting LP10's, LP2 or Morini. There must be a reason.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Bear in mind also that many manufacturers hand out free guns to the top shooters.
Maybe thats the reason.
bostonviewer

Post by bostonviewer »

Thank you all for your replies.

The coach is not yet on the scene, also, the fellow likes to do some homework.
Thanks Mike for the link, and the short version :)
Yes, the question is a bit silly, well, may be more than a bit :) But it needed asking, and thank you for bearing with me :)