Izh-46m Trigger smoothness

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Sparks

Izh-46m Trigger smoothness

Post by Sparks »

...or the lack thereof.

Don't get me wrong, I get enough fun out of my Izzy that I class it as one of the best things I ever spent money on (cheers Scott!), but if I could change one thing about it, it would be to make the trigger smoother. Mine feels as if it's got sand in the mechanism sometimes - it'll stick before the second stage, then loosen up and fly right through the second stage and the pellet ends up way out in the white as a result.

Is this pulling-through-sand sensation just another little nugget of Izzy ownership joy or is it just mine, and can it be improved?

Cheers folks,
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Luck of the draw... I used to shoot with a guy who had the same and it was Nothing like mine. He did a trigger-job on it to get it smoothed out, so it can be fixed. Just a function of the price-point, not always perfect pieces + lower quality assurance = some less than ideal results sent out into the world.
paulo

Post by paulo »

Clean with strong jet of air, clean with some type of oil, I used Break Free, then wipe excess.
Or do the mentioned above, get the mechanism apart and polish.
The trigger can be very smooth, mine was.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

How involved is it to disassemble the Izzy to the point where you can get at the trigger mechanism?
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

when i cleaned my izzy some years ago (between 2-3k shots) i first sprayed some break free in the trigger through the frame holes. then i wiped it very carefully and dry it (i used kitchen paper for lack of compressed air or similar). after that just a touch of ballistol oil in it.
The trigger on my izzy made in 1998 was very smooth and still is after all this years. in fact it is better than the trigger in my lp10 (personal taste).
paulo

Post by paulo »

Getting to the trigger should be a last resort, it will be involved.
The metal is not of the best quality and has a tendency to rust, that is probably what you are facing, but oil it and see if the rust stops, and the existing rust grinds by itself, on mine it did, just keep it oiled from then on.
Check this post, so you get some Ideas
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=27948
and check the site that is mentioned
https://mac1airgunstore.com/mac1_airgun ... tails.html
Sa-tevo

Just cleaned up a gritty trigger

Post by Sa-tevo »

I had noticed the second stage of my MP-46M was feeling gritty. Using the supplied punch and a block of wood for support, I removed the first stage (had to remove the trigger blade first). I deburred and polished the pivot and ground the screw to the second stage from a sharp point to a smooth round ball. I was expecting to find a mark where the screw point had contacted the second stage, but that was smooth and polished from the factory. With the handle off, I could study the second stage to sear contact through the frame holes and found sharp edges on the second stage corners where it met the sear. Using thin strips of sandpaper and polishing cloth through the frame holes I could smooth the side edges and corners without touching the faces. Then the first stage pivot pin was pushed back in with a small c-clamp and a small piece of wood to protect the finish. Finally I adjusted the first stage for a moderate pull and the second for a short trip. The total pull weight is still at 520g (500ml or 16.9 oz water bottle)

Hope this helps the next person.

Oh yeah, measure or mark you trigger blade before you remove it so you don't have to find the sweet spot where the trigger doesn't make POI left or right of POA again. Since I messed with everything I have a blank map to work through.