Need advice shipping AP Overseas/to FPO.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Wee Hooker

Need advice shipping AP Overseas/to FPO.

Post by Wee Hooker »

I have a deal worked out with someone from Dubia wanting my old FWB AP shipped to a US FPO. Beyond getting payment in full prior to ANY movement, I'm not sure of the details. i.e. on regs of that country and or how to aproach this type of shipment.

Anybody have any experience / knowledge of shipping a AP from US CONUS to US FPO or overseas?

Any help appreciated.

I need to do this painless and legal or not at all.
Don

Post by Don »

The US Postal Service (USPS) forbids the shipment of "firearms" to APO addresses. Yes, I know that air arms are not covered by the National Firearms Act/1968 Gun Control Act. The USPS may not agree, so you would need to ask them.

Secondly, packages addressed to APO addresses are subject to local customs inspection. Many countries (Canada, for example) treat air arms just like "real" guns. You would have to check regarding the governmental restrictions in Dubai.

Absent research on the legality of the shipment on a more reliable source than the internet, you probaably don't want to do it
sparky

Post by sparky »

I happen to have an APO address and have lived overseas and have been personally frustrated by people and companies for many (non-shooting) items that blindly refuse to ship overseas.

That said, while postage to an APO/FPO is similar to shipping within the U.S., it's still considered an international shipment and subject to the laws of the destination country.

I'd at least to a check of the laws of Dubai and see if there's anything in the laws regarding air pistols before sending.

One alternative is to offer to send to a friend/relative in the U.S. and have the friend/relative deal with the potential hassles of sending to Dubai.
sparky

Post by sparky »

Don wrote:The US Postal Service (USPS) forbids the shipment of "firearms" to APO addresses. Yes, I know that air arms are not covered by the National Firearms Act/1968 Gun Control Act. The USPS may not agree, so you would need to ask them.

Secondly, packages addressed to APO addresses are subject to local customs inspection. Many countries (Canada, for example) treat air arms just like "real" guns. You would have to check regarding the governmental restrictions in Dubai.

Absent research on the legality of the shipment on a more reliable source than the internet, you probaably don't want to do it
Don, can you cite the reg on that? I'm pretty sure the Heidelberg Rod and Gun Club as well as other U.S. Military Rod and Gun clubs in Europe were able to receive firearms to their APO addresses (of course they had FFLs) for resale to U.S. DoD and Military personnel.
Don

Post by Don »

Sparky,

Look at the APO information on the USPS web site, not a service manual.

With regard to Dubai, as part of the United Arab Emirates, the USPS "International Mail Manual" states that the Emirates forbid the importation of "firearms, ammunition, and their components".

It would depend on how things are defined. I've traveled overseas with antique and reproduction muzzle loading pistols for international competition. In the U.S., they're not defined as "firearms" under Federal statute. The Candians defined them as "restricted" firearms and required registration with the Mounties and an Authorization to Transport (ATT) before they could be imported. I understand that in Canda Air pistols are covered by the same regulations. France and Portugal both required police registration before the muzzle loaders could be imported. In Singapore they can hang you for one round of unregistered ammunition. "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore!"

But, it works both ways. I ordered stuff from FranconiaJägd in Wurtzburg, Germany, for years. They won't ship to the U.S. anymore.
peterz

Post by peterz »

I bought an air pistol from Allermann in Germany a few months back, and they had no problem shipping to the US. Have things changed since late October?

pz
Leon

Post by Leon »

the USPS "International Mail Manual" states that the Emirates forbid the importation of "firearms, ammunition, and their components".

I've had a bad experience with firearms shipping and Dubai - I bought a SIG 210-4 from an Austrian dealer and it was sent by Austria Post to Sydney Australia. Unfortunately, the plane carrying the mail cargo landed in Dubai, the cargo was X rayed whilst being transferred to another plane and my pistol was detected and confiscated by Dubai Police. Although both the Austrian Government Export Permits and Australian Government Import Permits were attached to the parcel, it still took 4 months of wrangling to get it released.

They must allow some imports though - as there is a pistol club in Dubai...
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Don, you are only semi correct with regards to Canadian laws. Air pistols over 500 fps are classed as restricted firearms and air rifles over 500 fps are classed as firearms. Under 500 they are basically considered toys.

They also go by the FRT which list firearms and there status and almost every popular air pistol is on the list both as restricted and as not a firearm. So if ever questioned about your air pistol and you are told its on the list tell them to look further on the list as its on there as not restricted too as long as its under 500 fps.

I have certificates from Steyr for all mine that say they are under that limit.