Spotting Scope

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

quickdraw

Spotting Scope

Post by quickdraw »

I need/want to buy a spotting scope for general range shooting, and I'm thinking about giving bullseye a serious go.

What style of scope should I get? (Straight eyepiece?)

Any good choices that aren't too expensive?

Thanks,
QD
zoned

Re: Spotting Scope

Post by zoned »

quickdraw wrote:I need/want to buy a spotting scope for general range shooting, and I'm thinking about giving bullseye a serious go.

What style of scope should I get? (Straight eyepiece?)

Any good choices that aren't too expensive?

Thanks,
QD

An angled eyepiece seems to work better than the straight style for shooting apps.

The NG 20 20x33 Spotting Scope sold by Scott is outstanding, but they are out of stock.

http://www.pilkguns.com/scopes.shtml

This 50mm 12~36 zoom scope from Celestron is being used by a couple of guys at the range. Image quality is sharp enough, but there is chromatic aberration [purple fringing] at some focal lengths. Good deal for the money, though.

http://tinyurl.com/2fc9lc2
quickdraw

Post by quickdraw »

Thank you. This is very helpful.
M1Jeff

Post by M1Jeff »

Is the NG scope long eye relief, or do I have to get my eye right up against it?

Jeff
zoned

Post by zoned »

M1Jeff wrote:Is the NG scope long eye relief, or do I have to get my eye right up against it?

Jeff
Long enough. I do not have to remove my glasses to use it.
jipe

Post by jipe »

I have both a Celestron and Kowa TS 501.

The Celstron has a very good price/quality ratio and does the job well.

The Kowa is better, weigth less but is also more expensive.

Both focus below 10m and can be used for all pistol shooting from 10m AP to 50m FP.

22LR at 50m is the maximum, magnification is not enough to go above 50m with .22LR holes.
vv38

Spotting Scope Reply - My Opinion

Post by vv38 »

I am not sure if you bought one or not, but I bought the Bushnell 787345, Spacemaster, 15-45x50mm Spotting Scope last year and have been very happy with it, it is below $200. What I like is is that it has the angled eyepiece and is very compact. No more getting on your knees to look through the scope. I don't have a good back, so this has been very helpful. The scope is 15-45x zoom plus 25x fixed power eyepiece. Here is more information about this: http://blue-sky-products.com/bushnell-s ... 87345.html

Good Luck and let us know what you decided and if you are happy with that decision.
XLshtur

Scope

Post by XLshtur »

I used a Bushnell "competition" scope, fixed 20X. From the start of my bullseye, through distinguished and several President's 100's. The scope is used to verify zero, or make sight change. You score when you finish shooting, not with the scope.