Target holes

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Packard

Target holes

Post by Packard »

I've been shooting a IZH Baikal for a while. It makes nice, crisp holes in the paper targets.

I recently bought a CO2 pellet gun with a rifled barrel. It is making ragged holes with the same pellets as I use on the IZH. I assume the pellets are key-holing. But why would they?

Any ideas?

Also, with the IZH all the lead gets trapped in the bullet trap; with the CO2 gun I find flattened pellets on the floor in front of the trap.

The CO2 gun is reasonably accurate and I am hitting the paper with every shot.

So what's going on here?
fc60

Ragged Holes

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Find a fellow shooter that owns a chronograph. Then test the velocity of both pistols. The CO2 gun may have a lower velocity. If so, there may be an adjustment screw to increase/decrease the velocity.

You will have to research the correct/recommended velocity setting of the pistol.

Cheers,

Dave
Packard

Post by Packard »

Dave,

Thanks.

I will check up on that.

Packard
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

In my experience you need about 130 m/sec ( slightly more than 400 fps) to punch reasonable clean holes in "real" target paper.
The Izzy is slightly faster than this, but not much.
Short barrelled CO2 guns seldom reach these speeds, many of them are 100-120 m/sec. Match APs shoot faster, maybe 150-170 m/sec.
The fact that you don't flatten the pellets properly is probably an indication of low speed. You may also try comparing penetration into e.g. soft pine board against the Izzy (beware of richochets!).
Packard

Post by Packard »

The gun is advertised at 360 fps--less than your suggested minimum of 400 fps. That sounds like the likely culprit.

See: http://www.pyramydair.com/p/walther-cp9 ... stol.shtml