Noob stance technique ?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

toddinjax

Noob stance technique ?

Post by toddinjax »

Hi all,
I'm brand new to the sport and have a quick question on standing position. The little reading and pictures I've references indicates (for a right handed shooter) leaning forward a bit on the left leg. I seem to be able to wobble less and shoot a little more accurate if I do the opposite and put a bit more weight on my rear leg. Now, I've only been shooting for ONE DAY so of course I'm doing a lot of things wrong or poorly; but for now, I do have less wobble leaning back a little. I've got some books coming and I'm looking forward to learning for years to come, but for now, should definitely stop leaning back or is there generally a bit of "wiggle room'" within classic technique for individuals? Thanks for any info.
westerngriz

Post by westerngriz »

You actually lean back towards your rear leg. but you have the WEIGHT on your forward leg.
Does that help?
matt
2650 Plus

Standing weightand ballance

Post by 2650 Plus »

Griz, you may not have gone far enough with the information. Would you agree that the lean to the rear is to balance the weight of the rifle so as to even out the amount of weight on both feet? Please take a look at Matts wifes positioin .at the Olympics.this illustrates the weight being moved toward the front foot as you described, while Gary Andersons weight was more evenly devided between his feet. By the way Your input is thouroghly appreciated. Thank you. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

General advice here would be to stay balanced. Standin used to be taught as "back bend, hip twist" and resulted in a rather contorted body position.

The thinking now is to stay rather upright. Weight equal on both feet. But another theory is whatever works for you. If you like your weight slightly more forward, go for it. Just be careful with the extreme, more does not always mean better.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Balance is the key. Get into position without the rifle, close your eyes and stand there for a little while. Do you start to sway? Does your body start to hurt someplace? If so, the position needs to be improved. Start with your feet in a position you would stand in to talk to someone in the hallway or a store. Then make minor changes to balance the position when you add the rifle. Keep your eyes level (side to side).
justadude

Post by justadude »

'Jax

If you have only been doing it one day you are probably overthinking the problem a bit for now. I would guess there is more tension in your body than the suspension wires on the Golden Gate Bridge. Couple that with having no "body memory" of what this is supposed to feel like so you are doing everything consciously and I can see where you are overwhelmed.

There are a few references here that if you are new could probably use some elaboration. References to Matt would be for Matt Emmons who is the top US 3P shooter and last I looked one of the top 3P shooters in the world. Matt's wife would be Katerina Emmons from the Czech team and one of the top women's air rifle shooters. Pictures of both of these shooters can be found on either the "photos" link or "TV" link on the ISSF website.

http://www.issf-sports.org/

As air rifle is all standing and finals for 3P are shot from standing look to either 10m Air Rifle Finals or 50m 3P finals for picture and video coverage of some the best shooters in the world shooting standing.

The next thing I will caution, it is easy to get the basics of the standing position. Feet shoulder width or a little more apart, left arm againt rib cage or on the hip supporting the rifle with bone. Right shoulder relaxed, head more or less erect. The devil there is in the details: every body is different, shoulder and hips wider or narrower, forearms longer or shorter etc.

There are other issues that come into play as well. What kind of rifle are you shooting? Does it have a deep foreend or palm rest? Do you have a hook plate or more traditional butt plate?

I reason I mention all these questions: Say if you are looking to model your standing position after a top shooter (a fine approach) you should look for a shooter with similar build and hopefully similar equipment to your own. If you are a smallish female with east European body type then Katerina Emmons is a great model. If you are like me, 6ft, 190lb male then Michael McPhail or Shane Barnhart (both USAMU shooters) might be a better choice. Those are just a few names but you have to find what works for you.

Fortunately in the days of the internet and the excellent coverage by ISSF it is very easy to get pictures of top shooters in action (except for the kneeling position) to get ideas and see what is working for them.

Good Luck

'Dude
montster

Appreciate the help

Post by montster »

Noobies like myself really appreciate the time given to answer questions. As someone who is expanding from pistol to rifle and have limitted access to expereinced coaching I am soaking up as much as I can.

Thanks!
justadude

Post by justadude »

Hey Montster

You're welcome and I hope some of my ramblings help. When I post I try to make sure it has some nutritional value.

You point out a very significant problem, unless you are in a a few specific locations in the US, talented coaching can be pretty scarce.

Believe it or not a well developed standing position feels quite relaxed. It takes a while to get it there and sometime you just have to stand there in position, rifle in the shoulder, eyes closed and think about each part of the body and if you perceive any tension. I start with my toes... am I curling my toes?, ankles... do I have an ankle tensed so I am pushing off with the ball of one of my feet. (rear foot is a common offender). Knees... locked? unlocked?

You get the idea, then you need to figure out what you need to do to fix it so you are not putting tension into the position. That is the tough part and can take much of small trial and error changes both in the postion and settings on the rifle.

'Dude
jhmorrisn

The best way to get red of the shakes

Post by jhmorrisn »

Is to shoot, shoot and maybe shoot some more in ten shot groups.

The next way a very important thing is to keep track of your 10 shot groups.

A good way to do that is via postal matches. I just happen to know of a 10 shot re-entry air rifle postal that just getting started.

Here’s how it works. On a 5 bull target or a 10 bull cut in two, shoot two shots per bull. Shoot several of them and when you’re about call it quits, pick out your best target and mail it to me.

Now if my chance the day after you has mailed your best one, you shoot a better one. No problem, just mail that one in also. Like the match is called a re-entry match.

If you need targets, I’ll mail you some.

Match dates are the 15th and 30th,

jmorrisn@gmail.com
jhmorrisn

Post by jhmorrisn »

Let me correct my e-mail address. it is

jhmorrisn@gmail.com

Thank you
silentfury214

Post by silentfury214 »

Wow, we now have a jhmartin AND a jhmorrisn