Sling's ???

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Surveyor

Sling's ???

Post by Surveyor »

I'd like to replace the nylon slings on our 4-H clubs rifles to something better. We currently use Savage MK1's, Daisy 853's and Daisy 499's. Suggestions?
PCU

Sling's ???

Post by PCU »

Some are happy with the Sling Snot because you don't have the slippage that occurs with most Sporter level slings. Check http://www.gunsnot.com/Products/prod07.htm
RizzoRogan

Post by RizzoRogan »

I've experimented with everything from the Daisy supplied nylon POS sling, old surplus M1 carbine, and high end leather service rifle slings. A few of my shooters can sling up but for most it's like a remedial lesson at the beginning of every session on how to use a sling. It is obvious these are designed for sporter class air rifle and I would like to hear some more feedback from anyone that has first hand knowledge. What about the SS1000, 5 meter bb gun legal?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Kinda my $0.02 here ....
When training the younger youth (8-13/14??) , unless they are shooting precision and have a jacket with a strap to hold the sling, your not really talking arms with muscles... you're using twigs & sticks to support the sling.

That's why you can use safety pins (we go to Wallyworld & get the brass quilting pins) or a button (never got into that method).

I would say make sure you are using the 1" sling and not the narrower 3/4" one ... don't even know if Daisy sells the narrow one any more. All our kids use a slightly small/old (ya know, the one they just outgrew) sweatshirt/hoody thingy and pin the sling up ... yeah the stress eventually tears a whole, but have mom stitch it up & keep going.
Unless/Until you get the brave ones that let you pin it thru their skin, it's gonna slip a bit.

(Yes my shooters like to gather round while I explain what I'm doing when we pin on a sling to a brand new shooter ... to see how wide their eyes get)
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

We like the Tompkins slings (http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=3 ... fle_Slings), even tho you sometimes have to punch extra holes for the kids with real small arms.
Surveyor

Post by Surveyor »

Thanks for the suggestions. I had a couple suggestions for the M1 sling over at the CMP forum. We'll try that first since the price was low. I'll also see about getting some pins.

Any suggestions for training vids for the young ones to watch on practice days that get rained out? Looking for ones that cover archery, air rifle, small bore, clay shooting, that are geared toward their level.