Izzy issues.......

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Cousin Jack

Izzy issues.......

Post by Cousin Jack »

Just got my new Baikal..... about thirty rounds downrange....groups well, but I keep cranking the sight to the left.....Izzy doesn't seem to want to go left...strange for Russian pistol, Da? Unwilling to go left? Lol....

Real issue: I must have the shortest trigger finger in history....the reach is too long. Izzy owners: can you make the trigger pull shorter by loosening, adjusting the trigger pull length and tightening the screw the manual labels as "D?"

If so, how do you get the screw loose? I've nearly stripped the head already, and I have a good screwdriver....is there some trick I don't know? (Of course, if that screw won't allow me to adjust the length of the pull, I don't need it loose.... Any advice appreciated.)
paulo

Post by paulo »

It does move, but mine also got striped before it budged.
You need the exact size screw driver.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

I seem to remember mine having sight issues too when new. It's been ~6 years since then, but I Think all I did was work the sight adjustments across their entire range a couple of times while frugally applying drops of oil.

And the trigger does indeed adjust by loosening "D". Use a high quality hollow ground screwdriver that fits correctly. Then, when you apply torque, HOLD that torque just shy of where it feels like it wants to walk out of the screw and eventually it'll loosen. Old mechanics trick, but torque/force is cumulative so as long as you're applying, it's being stored up in the fastener and it WILL loosen without destroying that screw. It's made of some alloy that's only Slightly harder than chocolate though.
RandomShotz

Which Izzy izzy?

Post by RandomShotz »

If you are referring to the IZH46M, then you will likely want to modify the grip. My mitts qualify as "large", but even with the trigger all the way back (and I marred the screw before it broke loose, too) it was a stretch. There is a lot of material that can be removed to allow the web between thumb and forefinger to move up significantly.

Just go slowly - the wood ain't great and a Dremel will remove a lot of material.

There are a couple of sections in Nygord's Notes that are helpful, too:

http://tinyurl.com/36q3o5c

Roger
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Got it! Thank you, gentlemen! Especially, Brian M. for the "hold torque" technique, and Random Shots for the Nygord link.....

I went to our local "Sure Shot and Pawn," and bought a S&W $29 gunsmith screwdriver set. And when the screw started to move, it felt just like it does when you strip a head, and I just about fainted....but it loosened up, the trigger slid back, and things are good to go. Not perfect, but pretty good. I'm shooting Bullseye gallery tonight so I won't shoot the Izzy until tomorrow morning. I'm also starting to work on the grip, but with a manual wood rasp not a dremel. All wood is in great danger when I approach it with power tools! Slow and easy...slow and easy. Thanks again....
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Cousin Jack wrote:I'm also starting to work on the grip, but with a manual wood rasp not a dremel. All wood is in great danger when I approach it with power tools! Slow and easy...slow and easy. Thanks again....
That's a good approach, I took WAY too much off my IZH46M grip... which I realized in hindsight after buying an LP10 and having a custom grip made for me. I don't have a huge hand (size 9 gloves, normally on the small side of the "large" labeling, but too big for a "Medium"), but a thicker grip suits me better than a thinner grip. Thankfully it's easy to add back material (plastic wood), so I was able to build my IZH46M grip back up (used as a backup).... at least until my wife took it over, then I had to knock it all off again... lol.
Guest 5

Izzy

Post by Guest 5 »

My Izzy ran out of left adjustment, I had to recenter the sight and actually move the blade to the left. This gave plenty of adjustment latitude. REMEMBER that the 2 screws that secure the sight blade are actually facing out; they just have a notch for the srew driver milled into the tip of them. This means that to loosen you will have to turn it clockwise . if you do what is normal (counter clockwise to loosen) you will torque that small screw and break it very easily.
Congrats on a very good gun...."shoot 'em up!![/b]