Xbox Kinect

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Ricardo

Xbox Kinect

Post by Ricardo »

I posted this in reply to a post regarding the iPhone shooting app, and I wonder if there are any gaming wizards (or witches) out there interested in this idea:

What would be a real money-saver is a "game" for the new Xbox Kinect. The thing can track your hand movements pretty accurately. "Shoot" at your TV screen at home, affordable hardware, could play online for "matches". SCATT-like performance for the thin-wallet set!
100ydpronekid

kinect

Post by 100ydpronekid »

I got an idea when we got one. You could possibly use it to veiw your position with the camera but im not sure if it is accurate enough for a game...
Ricardo

No go.

Post by Ricardo »

OK, forget it. I just looked it up, and the spatial resolution of the kinect is 3mm. It wouldn't be able to distinguish reliably between a 9 and a 10 (or, in my case, between an 8 and a 7).
100ydpronekid

sight insert

Post by 100ydpronekid »

What if you used a sight insert that could somehow communicate where the sight is or just a sensor like scat
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Kinect works by projecting infra-red dots all around the room and watching how they move. It's not a video-capture system per se (so would have difficulty recognising a rifle or muzzle for example).
I suppose conceivably the hardware could be taught to recognise a laser pointer attached to the barrel, but it'd need a lot of hacking around to be anywhere near useful, assuming you can get the resolution down adequately at all.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Hemmers wrote:I suppose conceivably the hardware could be taught to recognise a laser pointer attached to the barrel,
You would need to recognise at least two points on the laser pointer (or barrel), with very great accuracy, to be able to calculate where it is pointing.
Steven33

Re: No go.

Post by Steven33 »

Ricardo wrote:OK, forget it. I just looked it up, and the spatial resolution of the kinect is 3mm. It wouldn't be able to distinguish reliably between a 9 and a 10 (or, in my case, between an 8 and a 7).
The "depth" camera runs at 320*240@30Hz. Basically instead of seeing your fingers it sees your hand as a stump. Works OK for full body, slow moving games like fitness/yoga/dance. If you are looking for precision look elsewhere.