Hammerli

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
schatzperson

Hammerli

Post by schatzperson »

For a while now all I have been doing is CF with a FAS and my scores are touching 90's.
I have been meaning to get into Standard pistol informally so when the chance of buying a very nice boxed Hammerli 208S for 300 Eur I grabbed it.

I am now having second thoughts about my purchase; Not referring to the money of course, but to the guns suitability.
The Hammerli looks like its oceans apart from my FAS in handling and feel.
To make matters worse, this evening somebody from my club told me that the 208S is a very unforgiving of imperfect technique.

What have I done, bought myself a lemon for my pistolcraft ?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

There is absolutely no doubt that the 208S is capable of shooting a World Record Standard Pistol score in the right hands.

It does not however mean that it will suit everybody. In my time I could shoot very reasonable scores with a FAS602 (averaging 572 over a 2 year period) but I could never get on with a 208S.

Unforgiving of imperfect technique? I would agree with that.

edit note: corrected to "imperfect"
Last edited by David Levene on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schatzperson

Hammerli

Post by schatzperson »

After a year with the FAS 603, the Hammerli reminds me of a High Standard I had a while ago; Maybe its the high barrel construction.

The Hammerli certainly earned its laurels, but maybe now, I will be better looking for a FAS 602 or maybe an IJ35 for the money I can afford right now.
Leon

Post by Leon »

For all it's perceived faults, it must not be forgotten that the current standard pistol world record was set by a shooter using a Hammerli 208. And so was the previous world record.

Post by Guest »

I agree with David that the 208s may not suit every shooterl. However, it is one of the finest examples of Euro firearm engineering ever made.

To thnk you could buy one for a mere 300 Euros makes me want to cry . . . what a fantastic deal! Did you purchase it in Malta or somewhere else in Europe? During my most recent trip to Switzerland, a good used 208s commanded at least a 1200 euros price tag. Here in the U.S. you would have paid upwards of 1700 euros for the privilege of owning one.
schatzperson

208S

Post by schatzperson »

A while ago I borrowed a 208 from a Swiss shooter who lives here on Malta. I enjoyed shooting it at 25 meters and but got a bigger surprise at 50m, where for some reason I got this nice (for my standards) 8 cm group of 10 shots.
I bought loads of guns from Germany and kept my eyes open for a 208S. The one I paid 300 euro for ended up costing about 370 in hand. Still a good price, which is perhaps why I bought it because I really wanted a more modern pistol with a lower boreline. I am a bit strapped for cash right now, and believe me, it took a bit of internal strive to decide between buying a better modern used pistol or the Hammerli and one FAS 602 (also used) for roughly the same total price of about 700 euros delivered.

I know that two ok guns will not make ONE better pistol, but i could not resist the 208S at 300 euro!

But there we have it, I am weak !
yana

Post by yana »

We cant tell you what pistol suits you best. Its upto YOU.
I for once, dont like the 208's. We have 2 at our gunclub. Triggers feel gritty, and balance is off for me anyway. Also, NO parts availability.