Ole Miss Rifle Team

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

GCSInc

Ole Miss Rifle Team

Post by GCSInc »

Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Nice. Thought about doing a promo vid for a club I was with but couldn't get access to any adequate camera gear.
That CGI bullet was awesome, though I'm not sure when RWS started loading "Target Rifle" with hollowpoint heads :D we'll slate it down to artistic licence, or that the 3D artist already had a convenient model of a hollowpoint head to use.

Sure it's even better with the sound on, but I'm at work right now...

Great thing is, with open source software like Blender coming on the market, stunning visual effects like that are becoming available to the hobbyist, not just people who can afford the corporate license fees for Maya and the like.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY cool!

Smooth transition from the bolt closing to the shooter's face showing concentration. Excellent videography effort!

Stuff like this will only help our sport.

I could see AMU using something like this for Army recruitment, conjures memories of a scene in the 80s movie "Taps" where 20 young men snap the bolt release on their M16s at the same time and come up on target. What the target was doesn't matter, but the smooth simultaneous click, clack, clunk of safety, bolt release, and boots has stuck in my memory banks for the last 20 years.
justadude

Post by justadude »

It is a cool video and very well done... now I am going to go all "fuddy duddy and no fun" by saying I take some exception to the muzzle being pointed at the cameraperson/viewer.

The reasonable person in me knows that this was shot with more than a few people around as safety observers and for the muzzle shots I would like to think there were no live cartridges anywhere near shooter but still it is that lifetime of "never point the muzzle at anything you do not intend to shoot" that makes that part a little uncomfortable for me.

Past that little safety faux pas, the video does show lots of cool imagery and excellent production quality, and yes, the leading entities should use this idea to highlight the shooting sports.

'Dude
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I shot in college as well and made the sports page of our school paper with a shot of me where my non-dominant eye was centered in the front aperture of my air rifle. If I remember correctly, we unscrewed the cylinder, dry fired, and my finger was behind the trigger in the trigger guard.

I personally wish the got more side on shots since our guns are so odd. Media folks are all about the pictures that catch people's attention. I suppose the image of someone pointing a gun at you accomplishes that.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I shot in college as well and made the sports page of our school paper with a shot of me where my non-dominant eye was centered in the front aperture of my air rifle. If I remember correctly, we unscrewed the cylinder, dry fired, and my finger was behind the trigger in the trigger guard.

I personally wish the got more side on shots since our guns are so odd. Media folks are all about the pictures that catch people's attention. I suppose the image of someone pointing a gun at you accomplishes that.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

justadude wrote:It is a cool video and very well done... now I am going to go all "fuddy duddy and no fun" by saying I take some exception to the muzzle being pointed at the cameraperson/viewer.
Tis a bit fuddy duddy. Sorry, but nothing wrong with remote cameras. I suppose the camera angle places the viewer downrange, but in terms of actual safety, even if there had been live firing, who's to say there was anyone behind the camera?

Actually if you look at the "making of", it's mostly shot on green screen not even the bits that appear to be on the range. In fact there was remarkably little actually shot on the range. Just goes to show how far post-production has come when it's easier to CGI it!

Pointing a rifle at a person wouldn't be the right image to send out, but in context, you can't really do the whole bullet-emerging-from-the-barrel sequence from the shooter's end of the barrel.
The context is the crux of the thing, and that sort of action-y build-up is the best way to grab some interest in a 70 second spot.
an1913t

Post by an1913t »

Loved it! Great video.

Hopefully some of the other teams will see this and come out with their own.
sakoarms

Post by sakoarms »

I loved the video! It is a great promo piece. Well done.